It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 12:17 PM   #1

macy1029 HB User
Question Iron Deficiency and B12 Deficiency-Causes?

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie as I just joined these boards yesterday and am Glad that I found all of you.

Because I am of Irish ancestory and I had symptoms close to Iron Overload I asked my primary doc to check my Iron for this--knowing that it was an inexpensive test. That was in July of last year. Doc told me no Iron Overload--Great, so I put that thought to rest. Well when I was at the clinic about 6 months later I had my chart and a little time on my hands and began to look thru it. I found that my Serum Iron Level was deficient at 19 (normal is 49 to 151), my Ferritin was slightly low at 14.06 and my Percent Saturation was 4 (normal is 20 to 55). Because I was having symptoms of perphial neuropathy and weakness I went to see a neurologist who ran tests and told me that my B12 level was low ---202 (normal is 250 to 850). It was subsequently discovered that I have perphial neuropathy of my feet and hands. I also have RA, Sjogrens, PMR, Diabetes and other maladies. So I am finally getting to my question. What could cause low levels of both B12 and Iron? I eat healthy and eat meat etc. My IF Factor is fine. I do not have excessively heavy periods. I DO have trouble with my stomach--diareha often when I eat--stomach aches when I eat and sometimes cramps when I eat. I got a B12 shot and than the doc put me on B12 vitamins--2000 mcg per day and my B12 levels have improved. But still no reason as to what caused both deficiencies. I don't even know what my iron is now and i have not taken any iron pills. Could my vitamin deficiencies be caused by a malabsorption problems or Chrons? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 09:48 AM   #2

MGROB HB User
Re: Iron Deficiency and B12 Deficiency-Causes?

Have you talked to your doctor about celiac disease? This is a very common Irish elment that requires a gluten free diet (ie no wheat, rye, oats, and many moore).

Old 11-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #3

amwood HB User

I don't know much about B-12 deficiency, but I've been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia, and my doctor will occasionally check my B-12 levels in addition to my iron. I've had a couple of B-12 injections and I'm not sure why my B-12 was low. It goes back up with the injections and I don't really notice a difference either way. But, I do know someone who has Crohn's disease and has to give himself B-12 injections regularly. He said due to Crohn's he has a hard time absorbing B-12....and apparently it's not uncommon for people with Crohn's to also become iron deficient at some point. I don't know if you've had any testing done to rule this out (you mentioned stomach problems), but this could be something to look into. Wish I could be of more help....good luck!

Last edited by amwood; 11-21-2003 at 09:07 PM.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #4

newyorkmogul HB User

hi, i just found out that i have iron deficiency anemia, and was researching it on the internet, and found quite a few sites put up by concerned patients and medical professionals. i found out that ingesting foods and drinks that have tannic acid in them depletes iron. these are: chocolate, coffee, pekoe tea, red wine, etc... hope this helps.

Last edited by newyorkmogul; 11-28-2003 at 11:15 AM.

Closed Thread