It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #1

kkbug HB User
Preventing Stomach Problems with Iron Pills

Does anybody have any ideas for helping to prevent stomach problems while taking iron pills?

Old 02-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
(female)

fotolady001 HB User
Re: Preventing Stomach Problems with Iron Pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbug
Does anybody have any ideas for helping to prevent stomach problems while taking iron pills?
When I was told to take iron, they told me to take ferrous gluconate instead of ferrous sulfate. The doc said that it was easier on the stomach. I took 2 of the 324mg each day and didn't have any problems except constipation which can be helped by taking Colace 100mg, 1-2 times a day. (also over the counter) This was a type of iron that I had to get at the pharmacy....no prescription.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 06:35 AM   #3

Rhinette HB User
Unhappy Re: Preventing Stomach Problems with Iron Pills

[newbie]
I was taking Ferrous sulphate and I am now taking Ferrous Fumarate
Both of these have made me feel very sick, with stomuch cramps which stopped me from sleeping and have constipated me.
I dont think I am anaemic, just Iron Deficient [tho doctors round here are very difficult to see... so its mostly postal!]

I have Ulcerative Colitis which is an ulceration of the gut and so this probably doesnt help - all the iron tablets say not to take them with this, but I've been told to anyway.
I have a severe phobia of vomiting - so dont want this to be a side effect [as it currently is], would it occur if I had injections or not?
What can I do??? I feel rotten and I just want to get better!
Beth
x

Last edited by Rhinette; 02-24-2004 at 06:55 AM.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran

robste HB User
Re: Preventing Stomach Problems with Iron Pills

I couldn't take the regular iron supplements either...they made me very queasy. I did find a brand at the drugstore (over the counter) called Ferro-Sequels. Each tablet contains 50mg Iron (as Ferrous Fumarate). These are high potency/easy to swallow iron supplements that are supposed to be gentle to your system. They are also time-released.

I take 2 tablets per day. My dr. told me that for less stomach upset, take the iron supplement about 1 hour after you eat (with a little juice). I either do that, or take my 2nd pill right before I go to bed.

These iron supplements are more expensive that some of the other over the counter kind...probably because they are time released...I paid $23.00 for 100 tablets...but for a lot less stomach upset & my health, it's worth it!

Closed Thread