It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 07:22 AM   #1

NChar HB User
B12 injections and heavy metal

I posted a question earlier with no response. I'm really hoping someone can help me. I have had 10 injections of 1000mcg since November. A week afer injection my levels go up to about 180 to 190 range. 2 weeks later they drop right back down to 90 to 100 range.

No medical doctor in my community can figure it out. I feel like absolute crud. Hubby and I have tried to research any cause that would deplete the store of an injection. The only thing that has come up are Hyperthyroidism and Cancer will ask your body for more B12 then ususal. I was Hyperthyroid and had Rai over a year ago.

The only other thing that has been mentioned is Heavy Metal overload. But most of the sites are vague and i'm not sure if they relate to an injection being absorbed or food absorption.

Please if anyone with a similar experience or has any ideas where to look it would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by NChar; 04-09-2004 at 07:36 AM.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User
Re: B12 injections and heavy metal

Have you been checked for Pernicious Anemia??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #3

NChar HB User

Do to other autoimmune disease i have my Doc assumes its prenicious anemia. I told him i would like to know forsure and he said it dosen't really matter because the treatment is the same anyways. Unfortunatly the treatment isn't working and yesterday he pretty much said he gives up. He can't explain why i keep reverting to a deficency with large injections giving every three weeks or so.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChar
Do to other autoimmune disease i have my Doc assumes its prenicious anemia. I told him i would like to know forsure and he said it dosen't really matter because the treatment is the same anyways. Unfortunatly the treatment isn't working and yesterday he pretty much said he gives up. He can't explain why i keep reverting to a deficency with large injections giving every three weeks or so.
The answer to your question as far as I can tell is that you are not getting enough B-12. 10 injections since November is not very much. I took 1000McG X2 times per week for a month and then 1000Mcg per month after that. Then the levels were never quite in the normal range but apparently I did store a little in my liver. That is where you need to look is whether the liver is able to store it or not. There are a lot of diseases that cause liver storage to fail even if it is not cancer. Some of these diseases are fatty liver, Hepatitis C, and drinking a lot of alcohol or using other chemicals medically prescribed or not medically prescribed.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
1000Mcg is not that great an amount of B-12 if the numbers have you concerned.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #6

Coreen HB User

Quote:
I posted a question earlier with no response. I'm really hoping someone can help me. I have had 10 injections of 1000mcg since November. A week afer injection my levels go up to about 180 to 190 range. 2 weeks later they drop right back down to 90 to 100 range.

No medical doctor in my community can figure it out. I feel like absolute crud. Hubby and I have tried to research any cause that would deplete the store of an injection. The only thing that has come up are Hyperthyroidism and Cancer will ask your body for more B12 then ususal. I was Hyperthyroid and had Rai over a year ago.

The only other thing that has been mentioned is Heavy Metal overload. But most of the sites are vague and i'm not sure if they relate to an injection being absorbed or food absorption.

Please if anyone with a similar experience or has any ideas where to look it would greatly be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
1000Mcg is not that great an amount of B-12 if the numbers have you concerned.
I agree. A DAILY dose--oral or i.m.--of 500 to 1,000mcg for one to two months, followed by weekly doses this high, and then once or twice a month after normalizing, would be closer to standard treatment for b-12 deficiencies.
It is possible you are simply being under-treated.

sean

Old 04-10-2004, 08:06 AM   #8

NChar HB User

Hmm, I had a stock pile late Nov early Dec. The one and only time I was above 500. I forgot to mention when diagnosed that my level was undectable. I'll see what the doctor thinks about giving them to me more frequently. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

That really isn't enough. I was given 1000mcg every week for 6 weeks and I still went up to only 180 from 96 and we continued to do the same another 6 weeks and so on. I took years to get my level way up there. We went intramuscular for a year and then subcutaneous from there on to satuate the tissues as well. I can go from 1300 to 600 in less than 2 weeks. Your Dr is giving up way to easily, are you seeing a neurologist or hematologist? They are the ones who deal with this pernicious anemia. You may have PA since you seem to drop fast. Yes the treatment is the same but also with PA your level needs to be monitored to keep it at a safe level. I just went in for another blood draw and my level dropped to 700 since the last draw 3 weeks ago so I'm back on weekly injections instead of every other week. I'd insist the Dr do further evaluation or seek a different one. my Dr likes to keep the level at 2000 because I do drop fast so he is trying to get it so I only need to inject myself twice a month instead weekly or so. I also do B12 sub-lingual.

Closed Thread