It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 AM   #1

jrhs HB User
Hemoglobin count of 5!!!!

Just recently I had a blood test and my hemoglobin count and iron counts were all very low. They were so low that everyone that saw them could believe that I was still functioning. My stored Iron was low as well. Due to the fact that my hemoglobins were so low the doctor had me go into the hospital immediatly for a blood transfusion to raise these levels. A few days after I had another blood test and my hemoglobins were up to 11.2. Two weeks later I had another blood test and the Hemo's were at 10.2. The doctor thinks that this is all due to heavy periods. I am currently taking 650 milligrams of iron a day. I have been diagnosed with anemia and it does run in the family. I just didn't take care of it for a few years and the doctor tends to think that everything just became depleted. I am still under the observation of the doctor and was just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience and what they did to find out the problems causing this and any helpful advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Hemoglobin count of 5!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhs
Just recently I had a blood test and my hemoglobin count and iron counts were all very low. They were so low that everyone that saw them could believe that I was still functioning. My stored Iron was low as well. Due to the fact that my hemoglobins were so low the doctor had me go into the hospital immediatly for a blood transfusion to raise these levels. A few days after I had another blood test and my hemoglobins were up to 11.2. Two weeks later I had another blood test and the Hemo's were at 10.2. The doctor thinks that this is all due to heavy periods. I am currently taking 650 milligrams of iron a day. I have been diagnosed with anemia and it does run in the family. I just didn't take care of it for a few years and the doctor tends to think that everything just became depleted. I am still under the observation of the doctor and was just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience and what they did to find out the problems causing this and any helpful advice.
You sound like you are on the right track. However you might want to talk to your doctor about getting something to stop or reduce the length of time you have a period. Of course you need to look at getting a complete gynecological check up if you have not had one. The rest of the story is to make sure that your nutrition includes a lot of food that has iron in it and that you make sure you do not eat iron blocking foods with iron dense foods. Iron and vitamin C together. Iron and calcium together will tend to block the absorption of Iron. If you don't take it with water, then take your iron supplement with orange juice or other citrus juice. The folic Acid is very important to work with the iron.Folic acid is found in fruits and vegetables.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
After you check all the regular things ...

After you check all the regular things, if your doctor has concerns,
it is a good idea to see how your kidneys are doing (check kidney function) as kidneys help make red blood cells and strong bones with the hormones they produce. Sometimes there is a metabolic problem that can even cause kidney stones ... so check thyroid

Half of the iron you need is stored in your red blood cells and the other in the spleen, liver and other organs. (You need iron to make red blood cells, by the way.)

Do you remember when your felt very, very tired and the fatigue didn't leave even after a full night's sleep? Ask the doctor for a Reticulocyte Count and if the lab tech would comment on the size and shape of the red blood cells.

Our country is bombarded with too many butyl ether chemicals and they appear to cause, eventually, hemolytic anemia, liver damage, kidney damage, central nervous system damage, endocrine disruption (as they are pesticides) and they are not only in gasoline and jet fuel, they are also in many cleaning compounds and found in paints & varnishes, both at home and at work.

Because we are talking about chemical poisoning (that's what chemical overexposure is), the tests don't show up what doctors are expecting to find. There are multiple body systems affected, even joints and the immune system for instance. IF there was only one thing wrong at a time, it would make diagnosis so much more predictable. AND most doctors are not toxicologists nor do they consult with those expert in chemicals.... but let's hope that changes. I've even heard that doctors are not trained in this area in medical school, either.

Sometimes high blood pressure (or low?) or high blood sugar (or low?) is representative of endocrine disruption. Many medical studies are skewed because the real cause of harm (chemical poisoning) is not recognized.

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 04-27-2004 at 08:35 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #4

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhs
I also went down to 5.3 hemoglobin back in 1998. I didn't have a transfusion like you.....guess my dr.'s were pretty conservative. I had a deprovera shot to stop my periods for 3 months. Then my diet and iron pills got me back up to 13 eventually. It took 2 months to do it. I took off work for 3 weeks, as I was weak, and very pale. I am on birth control now since then--- and am fine. I have very lite periods...and this month, for example, didn't even have one.
The pill does this.
Have you thought of trying it? I have had no trouble on it. My heavy, horribly long periods are a thing of the past!!!
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 05-02-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #5

binxx7771 HB User

I have the exact same problem. my hemoglobin was @ 8. And it was due to my heavy blood loss during my period I took iron pills for awhile and it didn't help at all it stayed at 8. So my dr. put in a mirena IUD it stays in for 5 years and releases a small amout of the same chemical in birth control pills directly into your uterus which thins the lining and in alot of cases it stops your period. I've had a very light period for 4 months and I just had my hemoglobin tested and it's up to 11.3 yeah! I think birth control pills would help you alot or the IUD.
Wendy

Old 06-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

euglena HB User

Hi there,

I have been diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia as well, with a hemoglobin count of 7 gm/dl (where normal values are between 12.1 to 15.1 gm/dl)

Now, I've had heavy periods all my life, so I didn't realise that constant clotting was an indication of a heavy period.

I've been put on the pill, and I am taking two slow releasing Fe (with folic acid) daily for three months.

I'll let you know in two months what my blood work looks like then.

Good luck and good health,

G

Old 06-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Thumbs up Check red blood cells

It is still a good idea to check the red blood cells as half the iron is stored there.

[url=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=977866#post977866]Note my comments earlier in this thread[/url]

as well as other posts

Doctors who are wanting to seek alternate causes of harm, may benefit from this information

Closed Thread