It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #1

zdu98 HB User
Small and Light Blood Cells

After having a blood test, I was told that my red blood cells are small and light but that I do not show anemia. I have been borderline anemic for 5 or 6 years and at times I get bouts of dizziness and nervousness. This comes with little or no warning. What could make my red blood cells small and light? Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Talking Re: Small and Light Blood Cells

Pale, microcytic (small) cells often accompany certain types of anemia but you must not be there yet. Your Hgl score is the main determinant of anemia. Ideal scores for women run 12-15 so it's a rather small window. A score of 11 is often considered normal. I'm severely iron deficient and as a result often become anemic. My red cells are usually small and pale as a result of attempting to keep up a good blood supply without adequate amounts of iron. Did your dr mention to you that you may need more iron in your diet? A simple blood test can determine if you're iron deficient and usually supplemental iron tablets will improve your blood chemistry.
There are many other forms of anemia but iron deficiency anemia is the most common especially among women (are you female?) The type of anemia can often be diagnosed by the arrangement of the values in your blood test.
Hope this helps. Usually it's not a big deal and easy to fix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread