It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

Meagan312 HB User
Question chest pain, shortness of breath, worse at night

Sorry to keep posting, but my symptoms are getting worse. I tend to feel ok during the first half of the day, but after about 3 or 4 pm I start having chest pains, which get worse at night, + shortness of breath, pounding heart, ringing in my ears, muscle aches and terrible weakness. Do others have such symptoms at night?

My RBC, hemoglobin and especially hematocrit are low -- not very low, but dropping. I suspect there must be some internal bleeding or something else that caused this rather sudden onset of anemia (last 6 weeks or so).

I have to wait till next week sometime to find out what kind of anemia it is. My doctor didn't think the symptoms were from the anemia, but from what I read online, it matches. And I'm having a very hard time tolerating these symptoms.

My biggest worry is the chest pains. How can I tell muscle pain from angina? I never had heart problems before, but most of the chest pains are on the left side and even the muscle of the left arm. But I had an EKG about a week ago that was normal.

Any thoughts on all this, please? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2004, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: chest pain, shortness of breath, worse at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan312
Sorry to keep posting, but my symptoms are getting worse. I tend to feel ok during the first half of the day, but after about 3 or 4 pm I start having chest pains, which get worse at night, + shortness of breath, pounding heart, ringing in my ears, muscle aches and terrible weakness. Do others have such symptoms at night?

My RBC, hemoglobin and especially hematocrit are low -- not very low, but dropping. I suspect there must be some internal bleeding or something else that caused this rather sudden onset of anemia (last 6 weeks or so).

I have to wait till next week sometime to find out what kind of anemia it is. My doctor didn't think the symptoms were from the anemia, but from what I read online, it matches. And I'm having a very hard time tolerating these symptoms.

My biggest worry is the chest pains. How can I tell muscle pain from angina? I never had heart problems before, but most of the chest pains are on the left side and even the muscle of the left arm. But I had an EKG about a week ago that was normal.

First of all, EKG can be normal even if you are having Angina. The ekg only tells you if there is a permanent change in the way the heart function, not if it is temporary. There have been many people who were experiencing a heart attack and muscle damage during an ekg and it did not show. I was having angina attack during an ekg and it did show a short case of Tachycardia. But, that is beside the point. The anemia can put stress on the vascular system and be causing those chest pains. They may be dull, squeezing, feel like a rock sitting on your chest or may just feel tight. If this happens and becomes intolerable go to your closest emergency care. You do not want to assume it is nothing. These attacks can build into what might be called(the big one). As far as what time of day this occurs, it is different for everyone. It is logical that it would occur after a long day when you were most vulnerable to fatigue to start with. Mine were early in the morning which I believe is because I am not a morning person and it is a struggle for me to function until around noon no matter how much rest I have gotten. It is according to your own circadian rythm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

Meagan312 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
If this happens and becomes intolerable go to your closest emergency care. You do not want to assume it is nothing.
I *DID* go the emergency rooom about a week ago, and all they did was run an EKG and chest xray and sent me home. And my doctor is taking his sweet time and wants me to see a "therapist"!!!!

Where to go?!

Old 05-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

That is protocol unfortunately. If nothing is going on at the time there is nothing they can do. Do not let a doctor push you off to a therapist. Women are dying from heart attack at higher rates than AIDS and Cancer combined because many cardiologists have not kept up with the times and the fact that women do not show the same symptoms of heart attack as men do. If you can ask your doctor to place you on a 24 hour holter monitor. You wear it for 24 hours solid. It monitors your heart rate and a few other things and then a ekg specilist reads the tape print out that is in the inside. When I wore one, it showed I was having really bad attacks of tachychardia in my sleep. My heart rate was climbing into the 180 range while I was asleep. That was wild!!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 07:10 PM   #5

bloodthirsty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan312
e first half of the day, but after about 3 or 4 pm I start having chest pains, which get worse at night, + shortness of breath, pounding heart, ringing in my ears, muscle aches and terrible weakness. Do others have such symptoms at night?

My suggestion is to get back to a hospital emergency room right away, only call an ambulance.

They will draw blood and will be able to tell from the enzymes that leak out of your heart into your blood if you have had an attack. The longer you wait, your life may be in jeopardy. The same exact feelings happened to me last September. My Doctor did an EKG (which was normal). This happens quite often, by the way. I thought it was acid reflux, although I never had any problems with my stomach beforehand.(So did the Dr.)

Finally, this pressure just above my stomach became unbearable into the night, and I went to the emergency room about 2 am. I felt this way for about a week.

You have about a 3 hour window where they can shoot you with a clotbuster if you are having an attack and that will virtually stop it. Since I didn't get there in time , I went in for a Catheterazation on my right Coronary Artery but was 100% blocked . Could not do an Angioplasty, so I just take drugs. Won't do a bypass since its only one artery blocked. Please get help now.
Steve

Old 06-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #6

krisey HB User

Wow, I get the same symptoms, mostly at night as well. Have not been diagnosed with Anemia, but Anxiety disorder and IBS - all that other stuff that goes along with it like ulcers.
Maybe I outta get checked for Anemia...what exactly does this disease do to you? I was just browsing and saw this posted.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
(male)

bogmallo HB User

Could be anxiety could be heart trouble. In my country there is no medical insurance and there is no managed healthcare. Hence if we suspect something we can just go and get it checked out. From what i have been reading on these boards in the last week it seems that many times your doctors and hospitals simply keep delaying to avoid costs. This is terrible to have the person continue to worry or worse die from something without there being a proper medical procedure becuase of red tape.

Do not let your system push you around and fight for your rights. I always used to envy the advanced country systems but now i am not so sure

Take care

Rajesh

Old 06-07-2004, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmallo
Could be anxiety could be heart trouble. In my country there is no medical insurance and there is no managed healthcare. Hence if we suspect something we can just go and get it checked out. From what i have been reading on these boards in the last week it seems that many times your doctors and hospitals simply keep delaying to avoid costs. This is terrible to have the person continue to worry or worse die from something without there being a proper medical procedure becuase of red tape.

Do not let your system push you around and fight for your rights. I always used to envy the advanced country systems but now i am not so sure

Take care

Rajesh
You are correct Rajesh. In the USA there is a class system that no one talks about. If you have money, people beat your door down trying to give you services. If you are poor, you can die on the streets and people will walk around your body to get to what they want to buy from the stores.
In the hospitals it is also the same. Two people can go into the hospital for the same disease. One who has the money either cash in their hands or GOOD insurance will be seen in one half hour to one hour. A person who has government assistance or no money, can be 10 hours or more. Some hospitals will see patients no matter what money they have. Others will not see you unless you have proof before you know what the service will cost, that you can pay. If you do not live near a hospital that provides service without proof of payment, then you do not get medical service. It is a terrible thing and a secret to most. It is stated in the news media that it is a Medical Crisis. It is a crisis to those who make their living off medicine, when people can't pay. It is a crisis to those who have no money because they get sick and end up costing other services who do not get paid. Captialism only works when there are people in the society who are willing to work for free so the Captialists can get rich.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Unfortunately, women exhibit a different etiology with MI than men do. Altho some do present the same as men, the women dying are the ones who come in complaining of a stomache or bad headache or a vague uneasy feeling and they are sent home without further ado. I have a girlfriend who had a MI at 42, she was up skiing and felt sick to her stomach so she went to her room to rest, clearly all the signs of a flu bug right down to the vomiting. She was that way for 16hrs til finally her hubby took her back down the mountain to the er room, only for medicene. Never had chest pain til the last few hours, she was having a heart attack, lucky for her not any damage after such. The cardiologist suggested the possibility that everything was a prelude to the last few hours when the heart attack actually was happening. My hubby has had 3 of them and I'm so paranoid it isn't even funny.

Closed Thread