It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

kenziesmom HB User
why am i anemic?

Does anybody have any idea why a person who was previously healthy would become anemic. I have had a problem with reflux but they have ruled out it having anything to do with that and I don't have any family history my last hematocrit was 26 and I can't remember the name of the test but normal is supposed to be between 40-150 and mine was 10. They have no idea what is causing it and I have other problems like nerve problems but they don't seem to match really. I have had a colonoscopy, brain mri and a spinal mri for other things I am still waiting on the results of the spinal mri but so far nothing seems to explain my anemia and the drs seem kind of stumped. I am unable to take iron suplements as they make my reflux really bad because I have an irritable stomach. Oh also I have had an upper endoscopy to look down my throat into my stomach.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: why am i anemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenziesmom
Does anybody have any idea why a person who was previously healthy would become anemic. I have had a problem with reflux but they have ruled out it having anything to do with that and I don't have any family history my last hematocrit was 26 and I can't remember the name of the test but normal is supposed to be between 40-150 and mine was 10. They have no idea what is causing it and I have other problems like nerve problems but they don't seem to match really. I have had a colonoscopy, brain mri and a spinal mri for other things I am still waiting on the results of the spinal mri but so far nothing seems to explain my anemia and the drs seem kind of stumped. I am unable to take iron suplements as they make my reflux really bad because I have an irritable stomach. Oh also I have had an upper endoscopy to look down my throat into my stomach.
There are many reasons for anemia. If you have acid reflux disease, you may have other inflammatory illnesses that would lead to anemia. It sounds like from the test you have described that your doctors think so as well. If you have not done so, ask the doctors to test you for autoimmune response with the ANA test and a thyroid panel that tests the entire thyroid spectrum there are probably answers even if there are not any good treatments available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

I have had a test for thyroid and ANA the thyroid stuff everything was normal and my ANA was only barely positive at 11. I spoke to my doctor today about the iron tests it is the same with my iron level at 10 and my ferritin level was only 1 (I guess that was pretty low). I have acid reflux and probably according to my gastrointerologist IBS since he can't find anything else and an irritable esophagus but they have never found any real reason for it and I have had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. It is kind of frustrating I have a lot of little (i guess) symptoms but no one can find a real reason for it and I have had so many tests done I am not sure what is left. My doctors are great they do beleive me that the problems I am experiencing are real they just can't figure out why.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

stephney HB User

Dear Kenziesmom
I too have been treated for anaemia(iron deficiency) and B12 deficiency. I was having neurological problems from the B12 deficiency.I am post menopausal after 18 months of 800mg of ferrous sulphate a day i am still anaemic. I too have severe reflux and indigestion and i am taking proton pump inhibitor for it.I had endoscopy normal,
colposcopy normal, Barium enema normal, the last resort was a small bowel follow through series. I have finally been diagnosed with crohn's disease of the terminal ileum.This is the cause of the persistant anaemia. So have you had a blood test for B12 deficiency? Do you have Heavy periods?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

My periods are not to heavy they last awhile though. I am having another upper endoscopy tommorow my gi is worried something may be wrong in my stomach. I have no idea what it going on.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
(female)

euglena HB User

It could be internal bleeding - did you ever discover blood in your stool?

It could also be a folic acid deficiency which means you do not absorb enough iron.

What is your defintion of "heavy"? Continous clots would be considered moderately heavy.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

They did find blood in my stool but have found no reason for it. I had my endoscopy on wednesday and they found nothing wrong except for my gerd problems. I do have some occasional clotting during my periods but not horrible. I just don't know what is going on and no one else seems to either.

Closed Thread