It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 04:13 AM   #1

mipps HB User
Can Anemia cause leg cramps?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone else with anemia suffers from daily cramps in their feet and calves.

I have pericious anemia and have monthly injections & take folic acid daily. My recent blood work showed my B12 & Folic Acid levels were normal, however my hemocrit was 10.

Thanks in advance

Mipps

Old 08-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Can Anemia cause leg cramps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipps
Hi

I was wondering if anyone else with anemia suffers from daily cramps in their feet and calves.

I have pericious anemia and have monthly injections & take folic acid daily. My recent blood work showed my B12 & Folic Acid levels were normal, however my hemocrit was 10.

Thanks in advance

Mipps
Yes. The anemia can cause cramps, charley horse type sensations or restless leg syndrome where you feel like you have to move your legs even if you don't want to. Some of the reason for the cramps is the same reason if you are out jogging, the lack of oxygen in the blood to nourish your leg muscles, the reason for the restless leg symptoms is probably to try to stiumlate a more evenly divided blood flow to the legs. One sensation is more painful than the other but restless legs are very annoying.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marimac For This Useful Post:
orcajean (04-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 08:48 PM   #3

mipps HB User

Thanks Marimac

Since I have been on B12 & folic (also thyroxine & Oestrogen), I do not get RLS anymore, which is amazing after years of having them.

These past 18 months have been a trying and just when I thought I was getting better, now I am having a slightly different set of symptoms than when I was suffering from megablastic anemia. Then it was total fatigue & bone aches, palps etc. Now I am losing weight, no appetite and weakness, I feel in the mornings as if I want to melt into the mattress.

Sorry to be so self concerned, but I suppose I am feeling sorry for myself today. Can't get an appointment to my Haemotologist for a month and knowing it probably be another 6 weeks before I get an iron trans. I don't want to get to the "dragging the body" around stage again.

Old 08-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #4

astara HB User

I know what you mean.. I get leg cramps so bad I could scream. I have restless legs too. I did not know that anemia caused it. I have Tallassemia.

I take folic acid and b12.

I am new to this board I started out looking at some of the other forums.

Closed Thread