Originally Posted by debbiep
Hi there, I was just curious as I know the main way is through bleeding with your monthly cycle. But what if,like in my case, I have had a hysterectomy and dont bleed how else would I be losing iron ? Thanks for any replies ,debbiep.
There is quite a list. The different ways sound very dangerous and scary, but they do not have to be.
1. bleeding from any source: stomach, gums, kidneys etc.
2. bone marrow failure, iron is absorbed but stored in the liver and not used or accessible for making new red blood cells.
3. not enough iron in the diet, or failure to utilize the iron so it passes through the body and is eliminated as waste.
4. Some people have diseases of the intestines which cause iron that is taken in to be lost before it can be used. The diseases are Celiac disease, Crohns disease, Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis(infection).
5. The last and hardest to name is cancer anywhere.
The reason I put this last is because the word itself is so scary to most people and the explanations are usually much less scary and easier to deal with.,