It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
(female)

debbiep HB User
How do women lose iron??

Hi there, I was just curious as I know the main way is through bleeding with your monthly cycle. But what if,like in my case, I have had a hysterectomy and dont bleed how else would I be losing iron ? Thanks for any replies ,debbiep.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: How do women lose iron??

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiep
Hi there, I was just curious as I know the main way is through bleeding with your monthly cycle. But what if,like in my case, I have had a hysterectomy and dont bleed how else would I be losing iron ? Thanks for any replies ,debbiep.
There is quite a list. The different ways sound very dangerous and scary, but they do not have to be.
1. bleeding from any source: stomach, gums, kidneys etc.
2. bone marrow failure, iron is absorbed but stored in the liver and not used or accessible for making new red blood cells.
3. not enough iron in the diet, or failure to utilize the iron so it passes through the body and is eliminated as waste.
4. Some people have diseases of the intestines which cause iron that is taken in to be lost before it can be used. The diseases are Celiac disease, Crohns disease, Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis(infection).
5. The last and hardest to name is cancer anywhere.
The reason I put this last is because the word itself is so scary to most people and the explanations are usually much less scary and easier to deal with.,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 11:53 PM   #3

Dominique_101 HB User

I know what you mean. I have an Iron deficancy also. I have to take Iron twice a day and sometimes I forget. But if I don't take it for 1 week I will begin to lose my hair again.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #4

headzred HB User

Another way you lose iron that wasn't mentioned above is caffeine intake blocking iron uptake. This is a real problem if you have more than the recommended daily caffeine limit.

Red

Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
(female)

Kirii HB User

Well that explains why I had such a bad hair loss. It was so bad I wasn't allowed near the kitchen when food was being cooked. It was after I had my baby and my Anemia was bad.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #6

Kine HB User

Another way to lose iron is through exercise, although they don't know the mechanism for it, and of course, through donating blood.

Closed Thread