It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

catluvr4 HB User
Ideal ferritin levels for women?

Last year I went to my doctor because I felt really sick: shortness of breath, dizziness, hair falling out, low exercise endurance, pale skin and nails, sore tongue, frequent sinus infections and colds, fearfulness, muscle pains and cramps, and feeling cold even on very warm days. He ran every test under the sun and said my ferritin was too low at 10. He wanted me to get it up to at least 40 or 50. So, I started some liquid iron for easier absorption, and I slowly started to feel better. But it seems, every time I get my period, I take a step back.

Last months when I saw him, some of the symptoms were coming back, that was 4 days into my period. He checked me ferritin level; it was 17. Then he said that I should not have any symptoms with a level of 17 since it's better than the 10 I did have.

I'm so confused. First he tells me I needed to be between 40 and 50 to really feel better; now he says otherwise. My gyn told me that 17 is in the normal range so there is no problem. She wants me to go back to my Internist for more tests. But I'm so sick and tired of all the blood tests every three to four months, and all he can find wrong is a ferritin level in the teens.

Please help because I don't know what to believe anymore.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:39 AM   #2
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Re: Ideal ferritin levels for women?

Hey I don't want to scare you but you have alot of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism. I also suffered from anemia and always feeling run-down and most of the symptoms you described. I always thought it was my low-iron.. turns out I have Hypothyroidism. Next time you get blood work done ask for your TSH level. You should have your thyroid checked because it is often the culprit of many other bodily functions like having low iron, high cholesterol, etc..... Since I've started taking my medication for my thyroid my ferritin levels went back to normal.

Once again sorry to alarm you in case your thyroid is in fact normal- I just noticed your symptoms sounding all too similar to me.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Stacey

Last edited by Stacey82; 09-05-2004 at 01:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey82
Hey I don't want to scare you but you have alot of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism. I also suffered from anemia and always feeling run-down and most of the symptoms you described. I always thought it was my low-iron.. turns out I have Hypothyroidism. Next time you get blood work done ask for your TSH level. You should have your thyroid checked because it is often the culprit of many other bodily functions like having low iron, high cholesterol, etc..... Since I've started taking my medication for my thyroid my ferritin levels went back to normal.

Once again sorry to alarm you in case your thyroid is in fact normal- I just noticed your symptoms sounding all too similar to me.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Stacey
Hi Stacy,
Thanks for your input. However, I'm a 100 percent sure it's not my thyroid. I have been hypothyroid for several years now and have an excellent endocrinologist. Since I'm in perimenopause, she monitors my thyroid levels every 3 months to make sure both my free t3 and free t4 are optimized. Like I had said, the only unusual reading is my ferritin level. My female hormones are another story since they are all over the place with peri. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User

Ok good to hear! Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the cause... Hope you feel better soon!

Stacey

Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #5

Debbs HB User

Hi ya, I had low ferritin levels a couple of years ago now, actually got down to 11 and my doc gave me injections, I was extremely tired all the time and had constant heart palpitations as well as being pale and not able to concentrate, the injections gave me a huge boost and I continued on iron supplements for 6 months, finally my levels hit 100 and I and my doc was very happy...sounds to me like 17 is still way low and I would be seeing another doctor to get a bit better value for my money if I were you. I like you struggle each month with my levels dropping after my period..so I take supplements the week before to store up extra ferretin to help with any depletion , and I also eat green leafy vegies and amonds which are rich in iron, and red meat at least twice a week. Hope this helps.

Deb

Last edited by Debbs; 09-06-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbs
Hi ya, I had low ferritin levels a couple of years ago now, actually got down to 11 and my doc gave me injections, I was extremely tired all the time and had constant heart palpitations as well as being pale and not able to concentrate, the injections gave me a huge boost and I continued on iron supplements for 6 months, finally my levels hit 100 and I and my doc was very happy...sounds to me like 17 is still way low and I would be seeing another doctor to get a bit better value for my money if I were you. I like you struggle each month with my levels dropping after my period..so I take supplements the week before to store up extra ferretin to help with any depletion , and I also eat green leafy vegies and amonds which are rich in iron, and red meat at least twice a week. Hope this helps.

Deb
Hi Deb,
Thanks for the info. Your ferritin is 100? That is so great. I'll follow your suggestion about increasing my iron before my period to see if that helps. If not, I'll ask the doctor for injections. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #7

Debbs HB User

Your more than welcome, I really hope your levels improve speedily You probably know all this stuff but make sure that you get a supplement that has vitamin c included as this helps with the absorbtion of iron into the system the tablets I take are 325 mg of dried ferrous sulphate 562.4 mg of sodium ascorbate (vit c). I have my iron checked regularly now or at least every 6 months.

Take care ,

Deb

Old 10-01-2004, 04:28 AM   #8

iolia HB User

hi, imnew here, came across this board while browsing. re ferretin levels, i just got tested yesterday, and have ferretin level of 6, a few months ago it was 3.5. hb was 10. surely this seems extremely low? im very confused.

any ideas? i have symptoms of EXTEME irritability, hair loss, tiredness, and thyroid levels checked out fine.

help!

Old 10-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

im having hair loss from low ferretin too - but i discovered i have pcos, and slightly elevated hormone levels and it all works against you - esp with the hair!

Ferretin should be 70+ for hair purposes,I was 17 and im trying to get to 100!

Old 10-01-2004, 12:27 PM   #10

iolia HB User

o my goodness, mine must be really low then. *sigh* hct 28.9 . so what kind of iron meds are you guys taking? and how much are you suposed to take, i have been taking ginseng for about 2 weeks, can you take iron alongside ginseng? thanks for the thoughts!

Julie

Old 10-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #11

italungrl HB User
Need Some Input

I am Hypothyroid for 2 yeras now and last week had my normal bloodwork done and my ferritin level was 10 ( 10-232) Yet my total iron serum was 70 (25-170) what does all this mean my TSH is hovering around 3.9 ....

Closed Thread