It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

Meagan312 HB User
How much iron can I take?

Although I'm not SEVERELY anemic, I have continued low blood counts due to my heavy periods (which I've been trying to control, but so far had more trouble than before ... I'm bleeding so much, I'm surprised I'm not even more anemic than I am.) I'm taking an iron pill each day (46 mg) but I wonder if it's enough. My doctor told me that taking more wouldn't help, that it wouldn't be absorbed. But my doctor has been wrong on so many things lately, that I just don't trust him. Is there any way to replace iron faster? Would taking additional iron supplements during my periods help any? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
Inactive

LooksLikeRain HB User
Re: How much iron can I take?

i would try to see another doctor to get his advice first if your doctor has been doing things wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

dalmatinka HB User

I realize that this is an old post but I am going to respond anyway. You can take iron up to 3x a day. Licvid iron is better absorbed then tablets. If your iron does not have vitamin C in it, take it with some OJ (without calcium) or some other source of vitamin C. Stay away from calcium rich food for about 4 h before and after you take iron supplement. Floradex is a good licvid iron.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Everyone here has good advice. I just wanted to add something. What types of things has your doctor been wrong on recently? It must be a terrible feeling not to trust your doctor.

The other thing is, I think it's a bit misguided to be losing lots of blood with your periods and then chasing the problem with iron pills. I think a better solution would be to get to the bottom of the problem....in other words, why the heck are your periods so heavy?!!! Have you been to a gynecologist to have this checked out?

Additionally: how old are you? how long have your periods been this heavy? How many days do you have been the first days of consecutive cycles? Are your periods regular? How many days do you bleed for when you're having a period? Do you bleed between periods? Do you have any other health problems (notably things like hypothyroidism?)

Old 12-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

Tintin2 HB User

Will there be a follow-up blood test to check whether the iron pills are working? I'd stick with the amount your doctor has subscribed and ask for a blood test after three months.
And like the member above, I'd suggest getting to the bottom of this, finding out why your periods are so heavy. Perhaps you could ask for the pill, periods generally aren't quite as heavy when you're on the pill.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

The followup blood test to see if the iron pills are working can be done as early as 2-3 weeks to check for "reticulocytes" in the blood. These are immature red blood cells which are indicative that the blood is beginning to regenerate itself.

Closed Thread