It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

Allieg1981 HB User
Question Pernicious anemia

I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia around 18 months ago, everything is going well and i have B12 injections 4 times a year, however i am starting to feel tired again with tingling sensations in my fingers. I can't get appointment with doc for around 10 days but do you think these two things could be linked? Also i want to start trying for a baby, Does Pernicious Anemia affect my ability to get pregnant of carry the fetous?

Old 11-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Pernicious anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieg1981
I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia around 18 months ago, everything is going well and i have B12 injections 4 times a year, however i am starting to feel tired again with tingling sensations in my fingers. I can't get appointment with doc for around 10 days but do you think these two things could be linked? Also i want to start trying for a baby, Does Pernicious Anemia affect my ability to get pregnant of carry the fetous?
Generally anemia does not affect one's ability to become pregnant. The infant will take the nutrients it needs from the mother, however, the ability of the mother to maintain good health will be compromised without adequate medical help. If your symptoms from the anemia are getting worse you would need to see the doctor for another evaluation. I have not personally heard of Pernicious Anemia being treated with injections only 4 times per year. The general treatment is usually monthly injections. But, there are many different ways to treat this disease I suppose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
(female)

Kaethe HB User

Absolutly the tingling in your fingers is from PA. I am on monthly injections right now and it is not enough. I have just switched Docs and am about to go through more tests to determine why I have it. How often do you get your levels checked? I would suggest you get your numbers and get a second opinion. My doc I had just dismissed me and I am worried about the longterm effects on being low on B12. The fingers tingling usually mean that your spine is being attcked. I am not sure about the getting pregnant but I know it does affect your period so maybe you should get in touch with a gynocologist. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:58 PM   #4

Slwm HB User

Once you have determined you have pernicious anemia and to the point that you have degeneration of nerves you need to take at least one shot once a month. But at the begining it needs to be once a day, then twice a week, then once a week and then once a month. You need to inject the vitiman into the muscle for best results. You need to be sure you are getting a full mil or One CC (they are the same) When I first got my meds my syringe said 1mil at the bottom so I thought the little lines were the CC marks. For 5 weeks I was giving myself 1/10th of the amount I needed. You can give yourself the shots for a cost of about $20 or so a year. Please take care of your pernicious anemia. It can cause very terrible problems if it gets bad enough. Find a website and read about it. They will not let me post a web address here but I wish I could. I had a very rare and bad case of PA/Subicute combined degeneration. Look up the latter for more details. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #5

turl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwm
Once you have determined you have pernicious anemia and to the point that you have degeneration of nerves you need to take at least one shot once a month. But at the begining it needs to be once a day, then twice a week, then once a week and then once a month. You need to inject the vitiman into the muscle for best results. You need to be sure you are getting a full mil or One CC (they are the same) When I first got my meds my syringe said 1mil at the bottom so I thought the little lines were the CC marks. For 5 weeks I was giving myself 1/10th of the amount I needed. You can give yourself the shots for a cost of about $20 or so a year. Please take care of your pernicious anemia. It can cause very terrible problems if it gets bad enough. Find a website and read about it. They will not let me post a web address here but I wish I could. I had a very rare and bad case of PA/Subicute combined degeneration. Look up the latter for more details. Good luck.
If you can't get often enough injections, consider sublingual methylcobalamin and/or the other good types (adenosylcobalamin, aka dibencozide; or hydroxocobalamin which gets converted into those 2 usable types).

Do a google search for info on "nerve regeneration" and methylcobalamin. It is the type used by the nerves and in the brain. Adenosyl-B12 is used at the cellular level.

Tab

Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I have PA for the last 8 yrs and I give myself an injection every 3 weeks plus I take sublingual B12 and Folic. I have never heard of 4 times a year injections either but some Drs don't take PA seriously and figure keeping a patient at the lowest of the norm is ok. I find it incompetent and you really need to get some answeres from the Dr as to why. The tingling is PA and you may just not be getting enough b12 with so little treatments, don't let it go. I was sent home froma neurologist even with my serum level at 100 and 2 yrs down the road I was experiencing nerve damage, my level at 86, irreversible at that. When I went to another Neuro, he flipped about my being sent home on that level without something being done. I have permanet nerve damage in hands and spine nerve damage, I lost my long term memory for years and just the last year or so I can recall some childhood memories and other memories of raising my daughters (before I couldn't remember them as children) and some havn't come back. I quit my 20 yr job because I couldn't carry on an intelligent conversation with clients and even tho I regained alot I still am not working because of the hands. So don't let it ride find out answers.

Closed Thread