It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
(male)

ahuseman HB User
Anxiety associated with severe anemia?

Can anemia cause you to experience alot of anxiety? Also does anemia frequently cause your hands to be cold and sweaty? 'Cause I'm experiencing those things on top of all the other typical anemia symptoms.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #2

<74 HB User
Re: Anxiety associated with severe anemia?

Hi I had bouts of anxiety and even panic attacks but that was about two years before I was actually diagnosed. It progressed to depression and temper. As each of my anemia symptoms showed up I was treated for the particular symptom the doctor didnt put it all together. It was actually me myself that figured out what was wrong with me from research about malabortion. I had alot of diariah and thought that I might not be getting all my nutrients. I feel I went nearly four years with varying symptoms and when I finally got tested my b12 was not on the scale. <74 was what it said.

The Following User Says Thank You to <74 For This Useful Post:
ameenah1 (01-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

deltadawnburke HB User

I have pernicious and hemolytic anemia along with thalassemia hemoglobin H disease, and I suffer from Anxiety/panic attacks...Especially with physical exertion...

I have problems especially at night with sleeping...Panic attacks come and go!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: deltadawnburke
ameenah1 (01-17-2012), Shanghied (05-05-2011)
Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Question for <74

I have chronic anemia, and suffer severe anxiety, mood swings, tingling in the arms, legs and face and a few other issues. I called my doctor to see if she had tested my B-12 level (all are B-12 deficiency symptoms) and she said it was done with the blood test for anemia. I have always had trouble with anemia, but the anxiety and heart palpitations did not start until I had a bout with h. pylori, a gastro-infection that depletes the B-12. My question to you...did your deficiency show up on a CBC or did you have a special test just for the B-12 deficiency? I have the results of the anemia testing in front of me....which code is the test for B-12?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

perlee HB User

I'm not sure but I have been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for 9 years now and I'm just starting to think it might be the anemia triggering these episodes.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

zoes life HB User
Re: Question for <74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea
I have chronic anemia, and suffer severe anxiety, mood swings, tingling in the arms, legs and face and a few other issues. I called my doctor to see if she had tested my B-12 level (all are B-12 deficiency symptoms) and she said it was done with the blood test for anemia. I have always had trouble with anemia, but the anxiety and heart palpitations did not start until I had a bout with h. pylori, a gastro-infection that depletes the B-12. My question to you...did your deficiency show up on a CBC or did you have a special test just for the B-12 deficiency? I have the results of the anemia testing in front of me....which code is the test for B-12?

A B12 test will say "B12." Your doctor may be referring to MCV which is routinely done with a CBC. This tests measures the size of your red blood cells, and is often elevated in the presence of B12 and folic acid deficiencies. If you have a mixed deficiency anemia (such as iron and B12) the MCV may be normal (iron deficiency tends to make RBC's smaller). If I were you, I would insist on a B12 test and not accept the use of MCV only. Both B12 and iron deficiencies can often be caused by h. pylori. Good luck with finding out what is going on.

Zoe

Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoes life
A B12 test will say "B12." Your doctor may be referring to MCV which is routinely done with a CBC. This tests measures the size of your red blood cells, and is often elevated in the presence of B12 and folic acid deficiencies. If you have a mixed deficiency anemia (such as iron and B12) the MCV may be normal (iron deficiency tends to make RBC's smaller). If I were you, I would insist on a B12 test and not accept the use of MCV only. Both B12 and iron deficiencies can often be caused by h. pylori. Good luck with finding out what is going on.

Zoe
Thanks for your answer, Zoe. Since I last posted, I saw my doctor for another matter. I brought up the B-12 issue and she looked in my chart and saw it had been over a year since I had been tested. (The nurse must have read the test wrong over the phone.) My B-12 was in the 200's so it was low normal even then. I started B-12 injections last week...once a week for a month and monthly thereafter. I hope this is the answer to the anxiety and heart palps. How long until I should notice a difference?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

mmmnnnn interesting. Just before I devoloped anxiety/panic disorder my b12 was low, I was getting palpitations and buzzing and put that down to my low b12, but looking back it may have just been the start of my anxiety problems. I have trouble maintaining iron and b12 levels. Dont know if it is coincidence or not. B12 is required for the nervous system and anxiety is a disorder of the nervous system.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Gingertea,
I have Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia which lead to a low B-12 level - it was 255, which the dr wasn't too concerned about until I pressed her - I was having serious heart palpatations, anxiety things - sorta like I was about to pass out, just feeling really strange and irritable@! I thought it was all from coming off Prednisone, but she decided to give me a shot of B12 - I hoped I'd feel better immediately, but it took a week. I also supplement with sublingual B12 - from this board I learned to get the methylcobalamin, as it absorbs better, but it's harder to find - got it from a vitamin shop.

I also had these strange muscle twitches which scared me to death, but they've gotten better. I just had another B-12 Wednesday, so I'm hoping I continue to feel better.

It takes awhile, so don't be discouraged if you don't feel better immediately. But keep getting the shots and if you don't improve, keep insisting something be done until you do. B12 defiiciency is nothing to mess around with.

Best,
Jill

Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

I read an interesting article about anxiety and H. pylori infection....It was once said by most doctors that ulcers are cause by stress...Well most people who get ulcers have this bacteria in there stomach...It has been linked to heart problems, stroke, and other things...It estimated that half the worlds population has this bacteria.. I would get some mastic gum from the healthfood store because it's been scientifically proven to kill all strains of H. pylori...The main thing is that if you have this infection, you cant properly digest protein, hence the amino acids won't get to your brain and can cause neurotransmitter imbalances....I take it daily and will for the rest of my life because it's harmless and prevents reinfection...Antibiotics may kill it at first but does not stop reinfection...It's a pandemic bacteria that can lead to future health problems you don't want...I would get tested again and see if you still have the infection...

Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

How do you know if you have this H.Pylori infection?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

There is a blood, breath, and stool test..My blood test came out fine, but found the bacteria in a stool sample...You must get all of these tests to determine whether or not you have it...There are doctors who will test you for this, it's just a matter of finding the right one...It can play havoc on your digestive system and is an underlying cause of ulcers, leaky gut, and yeast overgrowth problems....You can do a search for Dr. William Timmins..

Old 10-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

Thank you!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:02 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi i also suffer with anxiety,restless leg,hypinc jurks, have gotten weaker and weaker over the last two years,and have just been told i have enemia,my blood count is very low doc wouldnt tell me any more,put me on 600mg ferrous sulphate,and told to go back in three weeks

Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
(female)

ycurry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoes life View Post

Zoe
I have a question for you on h.pylori.
About three months ago I started eating Dannons yogurt. The one with the "Bifidus Regularis" in it. Dannon claims that in two weeks you'll be regular if you eat this yogurt.

About 1 month ago, I started having full fledge panic attacks. I went to the ER thinking it was a heart attack. Everything came out fine, except my iron levels.

I've been anemic for years, but it's never caused me any problems until now...Other than fatigue.

Do you think that the Bifidus Regularis bacteria could have triggered the h.pylori bacteria? Along with the anemia, indigestion and bacteria could this have triggered the panic attacks?

Closed Thread