It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

happybunny HB User
Question low hb after bleed, how long is recovery?

I had a bleed a couple of hours after a cardiac angioplasty, where they put the catheter via the femoral artery in the groin to get at the heart. I had been given heparin so that I didn't clot when they reopened the coronary arteries with the balloon. Also I had been given 2 aspirin and 8 Plavix which is an anti-platelet drug so was more likely to bleed than normal.

Anyway I bled internally into muscle around the abdomen and my Hb fell from 14.3 down to 9.8 but settled at 10.3 by a week later when they let me out. My doc said he'd rather not give me iron tabs or a transfusion and made me promise to eat red meat and liver.

So I'm eating them & all the things that are iron rich, dark green veg, dried fruit etc. and also plenty of vit c rich fruit.

2 1/2 weeks on now and I am just so very tired all the time. Does anyone know how long it takes to replenish these RBCs? I heard it was about 3-4 weeks so I should be feeling a bit more energetic now or am I expecting too much? Any idea why my doc would say he was not keen on iron tabs? I'm on a load of heart pills, maybe that's why.

I'm used to giving blood donations but have always had a high Hb so am new to anaemia. Does 10.3 type level make anyone else really tired? How bad is 10.3? I don't usually eat red meat so will I have to keep eating it for weeks and weeks?

I'd love advice. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
(female)

Shamrock HB User
Re: low hb after bleed, how long is recovery?

Sorry to hear about the angioplasty but I hope it helped. My hgb is 9.2 but they don't know why yet. I'm probably going to have to have a GI work-up and go to a hematologist. I wonder if your doctor thinks eating iron-rich foods may be better. I know that my doctor really pushes me to eat more red meat,etc. but she also wants me taking the iron 2x/day. Iron supplements can be very hard on your stomach-indigestion,gas,constipation,etc. If you're worried you may want to put in a call to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: low hb after bleed, how long is recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybunny
I had a bleed a couple of hours after a cardiac angioplasty, where they put the catheter via the femoral artery in the groin to get at the heart. I had been given heparin so that I didn't clot when they reopened the coronary arteries with the balloon. Also I had been given 2 aspirin and 8 Plavix which is an anti-platelet drug so was more likely to bleed than normal.

Anyway I bled internally into muscle around the abdomen and my Hb fell from 14.3 down to 9.8 but settled at 10.3 by a week later when they let me out. My doc said he'd rather not give me iron tabs or a transfusion and made me promise to eat red meat and liver.

So I'm eating them & all the things that are iron rich, dark green veg, dried fruit etc. and also plenty of vit c rich fruit.

2 1/2 weeks on now and I am just so very tired all the time. Does anyone know how long it takes to replenish these RBCs? I heard it was about 3-4 weeks so I should be feeling a bit more energetic now or am I expecting too much? Any idea why my doc would say he was not keen on iron tabs? I'm on a load of heart pills, maybe that's why.
I am going to guess that if you are having anigoplasty that you are at least middle aged. If so, iron given to older people can be stored in places that is not conducive to utilization. Also iron stored in the wrong places can cause diseases that would complicate your heart problems. As for regaining your strength, the body takes 120 days to go from the beginning of the formation of red blood cells to the destruction of them and back to the next cycle. Although not bleeding anymore is stopping the loss of red blood cells, you are not back to normal in the numbers you need to feel fully oxygenated. Also I would be there is some additional strength to gain from the procedure itself. So don't panic and don't push your self to go further faster than your body tells you to. If you walk don't move faster than you can hold a conversation. Rest when you get tired and exercise to the extent that you have been told to by your doctor. It does take about 3 months as long as nothing else is interfering in your recovery.
I'm used to giving blood donations but have always had a high Hb so am new to anaemia. Does 10.3 type level make anyone else really tired? How bad is 10.3? I don't usually eat red meat so will I have to keep eating it for weeks and weeks?

I'd love advice. Thanks.

Closed Thread