It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

Dawn Elise HB User
How long before iron supplements cause you to feel better?

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with anemia and told to talk OTC Slo Fe. Which I started yesterday. I was wondering how long before you started to feel better, those of you who are taking iron supplements. Did you notice anything with the first pill? Thanks.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

sahaira HB User
Re: How long before iron supplements cause you to feel better?

Hello-

I was put on Slow FE iron to for Low Ferriting ( it was a 3) I started to feel better after 2 weeks. They say 10+ days for some of the symptoms of anemia to lessen. It takes months though for full effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

No, I didn't feel better after the first pill.
I am taking Ferrex 150, which is generic for Niferex-150. I have read about Niferex by doing a search. It is recommended to take it with vitamin C to enhance absorption. I have also cut down...almost cut out coffee, which inhibits iron absorption. ( I love coffee!!, though I was drinking maybe 2-4 cups a day and now maybe have 1 a day...sometimes none at all) I'm guessing it took about 2-1/2 weeks to feel somewhat better. But then I was going through all the testing to determine what might be causing the anemia and I couldn't eat sometimes or even take the supplements. I'm still not up to par and I started taking the iron supplements at the end of March. I go back next week for blood testing. I'm not as short of breath and I don't have the restless leg syndrome anymore...and my nail beds look pinker( I don't have blue fingertips when it gets cold ) I've always had iron rich foods in my diet.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

stoutheart HB User

I didn't notice a difference right away. It takes some time. I'd say a month or so. Especially if you are continuing to bleed heavy. I take 2 Slow FE's every day since October. I take them with orange juice (the acidity helps your body absorb it). I had my blood tested in February and it was 9.8 from 7.7 in December. I'm going next Tuesday for another test before my OBGYN appt on Thursday. I'm nervous. Wish me luck. I hope its just as high as it was in February. I have heavy periods and the ob put me on bcp to try to control the bleeding/spotting that I have been having during the month.

Closed Thread