It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran

liza2 HB User
Iron Transfusions?

Well I found out today it was indeed iron deficiency and the dr. gave me the choice of either taking iron pills... or going for iron transfusions 3 times a week for a month and be back to my old self again. Because it will actually work with my scheldule and I going to be starting college at a university in the fall, i am going to do this. Has anyone else done this and if so, any side effects? Headaches, weight gain, nauseau, vomitting?? any info would be great!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Iron Transfusions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza2
Well I found out today it was indeed iron deficiency and the dr. gave me the choice of either taking iron pills... or going for iron transfusions 3 times a week for a month and be back to my old self again. Because it will actually work with my scheldule and I going to be starting college at a university in the fall, i am going to do this. Has anyone else done this and if so, any side effects? Headaches, weight gain, nauseau, vomitting?? any info would be great!
I am assuming you are talking about Iron infusions. I have only had one ever. The initial infusion caused me to have chest pain and they had to slow the infusion down to merely drops per minute resulting in a 6 hour stay in an outpatient hospital stay. The next 3 days I ran an elevated temperature of 101. I experience bone pain for about a week after that which was treatable with tylenol. If they are going to do several infusions per week, they will probably give you smaller amounts of iron at one time. You may not have any side effects. I did not gain weight with my infusions, nor did I have nausea or vomiting that were related to the iron.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hello,

I too have had an iron infusion. I had one which also took 6 hours. I had no side effects and it helped me so much. I had this after taking 2 iron pills a day for 8 months that did not help me at all. Now, one iron pill a day has maintained my level since the infusion. Good luck to you.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

carol3114 HB User

I'm currently having iron infusions 1 per week for 4 weeks. The first one took 4.5 hours and the second one took 3.5 hours. I felt improvement after the first week and my blood counts improved. I'm not quite back to normal range yet. The day after the infusion I feel some body soreness. Taking tylenol and drinking lots of water seems to help. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #5

KritterKeeper HB User
Red face Re: Iron Transfusions?

Iron infusions should be seen as a last resort NOT a quick fix. I don't know of any dr (or insurance co) who is willing to try infusion first. I was given many infusions after oral iron supplements failed to bring up my blood levels. I had a severe allergic reaction to the first. I was switched to another IV iron and tolerated that well for over 2 years before developing a life threatening allergy to that!! Serious reactions are rare but why even take a chance when you can pop a pill a couple of times a day?

Old 06-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
(male)

itsjustlittleme HB User

Hi,
I'd aggree with the last post
I also have a SEVERE reaction to iron infusion (Anerphalactic shock!)
If I were you I'd give the pills a go first, The side effect that most people seem to get is constipation, You just ave to be carefull to eat a high fibre diet or take laxatives, I really would say a BIG no to infusion before trying the pills.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Nes

Old 06-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
Veteran

liza2 HB User

The pills would make me nauseous. i went for my first infusion the other day and it wasnt too bad but its time consuming ( i have to go three times a week for 15 minutes and im a full time student and worker!!) but i want to get better fast. Its just werid that no one else has heard of just the 15 minutes a day versus the 6 hours? I will let everyone know the updates!

Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #8

KritterKeeper HB User

You're probably getting a dug called "Venofer." I think that's the spelling. It can be administered in smaller doses over a shorter period of time. Infed is designed to be a total dose replacement administered only once-hence the time consuming aspect. Ferrlecit is usually administered once a week for a period of 8 weeks for total dose replacement. For most a one time visit is far more conveniant. It also depends upon which drugs your doctor chooses. I've gotten Infed and Ferrlecit and due to the severity of the reactions it is not advisable for me to try another. Even with the infusions it will take a while before your body catches up. It is quicker than oral iron but it still takes time.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran

liza2 HB User

Yes thats exactly what it is caused. So far so good!

Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
(female)

cymeeze HB User

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I had my first Iron Infusion last Wednesday. I could not ever imagine getting infused more than maybe every 3 or 4 months if it were absolutely necessary! Spending 7 hours in the infusion clinic....eeeekkk!
I have a question but I think this is the wrong "thread"

Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran

liza2 HB User

Oh no i dont get them for 7 hours! Mine are just 15 mins, there is no way i would go 3 times a week for seven hours. But my last one is thursday and i just did a whole hour of cardio and i feel great!

Closed Thread