It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

sdb HB User
Skin Problems with Anemia

I have PA, iron defiency anemia, and possibly Hemolytic anemia, and have been battling to get my levels to normal...But I am also fighting skin problems...Acne...Never had it before, and I am now on Retin A to combat it...Also I have noticed that the skin under my eyes has become more puffy and WRINKLED...I am 35, and I expect wrinkles, but this seems to have happened overnight...within the past few days actually...Could this be something caused by the anemia? Could this be dehydration?...It seems to be occurring under my eyes and under my chin in the neck region...

Also, does anyone have problems taking iron? I am on iron and it is causing so many side effects...I cannot go to the bathroom without a stool softener due to the iron, and it causes severe stomach upset even when taken with food....any ideas on how to combat this?..

Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
(female)

missinnerbeauty HB User
Re: Skin Problems with Anemia

Hi,

I am afraid I am not really able to help you, besides eat lots of fibre say a iron fortified ceral like particlaur brans?

But I have just been diagnosed with the same as you! I have been wacked on strong iron tablets no side effects except bloating.

But however can I ask I AM SO SCARED IN HAVE SOMETHING ELSE please tell me when that when you very low iron that you feel really really really horribly see i have NO enery my face is puffy and so pale they (doc) say it is the iron but I so scared I have chronic fatigUE or like a pestities in my bowel so wondering if you have any of these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb
I have PA, iron defiency anemia, and possibly Hemolytic anemia, and have been battling to get my levels to normal...But I am also fighting skin problems...Acne...Never had it before, and I am now on Retin A to combat it...Also I have noticed that the skin under my eyes has become more puffy and WRINKLED...I am 35, and I expect wrinkles, but this seems to have happened overnight...within the past few days actually...Could this be something caused by the anemia? Could this be dehydration?...It seems to be occurring under my eyes and under my chin in the neck region...

Also, does anyone have problems taking iron? I am on iron and it is causing so many side effects...I cannot go to the bathroom without a stool softener due to the iron, and it causes severe stomach upset even when taken with food....any ideas on how to combat this?..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi,
Anemia makes you very, very tired, pale, weak can give you heart palpitations and many other things. Iron pills take quite awhile to bring up your counts. If you are having a lot of problems with them, check with your dr. - some iron pills are easier to take than others.

I took iron pills for over 8 months with very little results - I finally had to get an iron transfusion called InFed- it took 6 hours to get but it made me feel so much better and my counts have stayed great.

Good luck to both of you. Bern

Old 07-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

Moonstar HB User

Hi..
I just wanted to say that I've been anemic off and on since I was about 5 yrs old. So I've been battling this now for 23yrs. I just wanted to reassure missinnerbeauty that being pale is one of the most classic signs of being anemic. I get ghostly pale and the last time my levels dropped I lacked any form of energy, the odd day I'd get a little burst of energy. Going to get groceries was something I avoided because I was just sooo tired and non energetic. Also I find that I get light headed and the last time I lost alot of hair.
Also make sure to take vit C when you're on iron supplements as I'm told it helps the iron to absorb, and also taking a b12 vitamin or one with Bcomplexes can be beneficial from what I've researched as if your b12 isn't high enough your body won't absorb the iron.
I've found that it generally takes around 3 months for my iron levels to come up to normal..remember to that green leafy veggies (eg brocolli) have lots of iron.
In response to sdb.. it sounds to me from the puffiness etc around your eyes that you may be retaining water.. is it worse in the morning? My mom retains water and gets puffy eyes hands etc, usually worse in the morning..it's something to ask your doctor about. Typically dehydration has a more sunken look. If you're on a sulphate based iron try switching to glucose/ vice versa..may help the constipation.

Closed Thread