It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Vitamin bshots, how long before they work?

just had my first vitamin b shot, i think its 12 or a combination of them. Just know its a b-shot for anemia. i was hoping for a miracle and expecting to feel a burst of energy oh within a few hours but nothing yet. Am i expecting too much for just the first shot? is it something that needs to build up over time before it starts working?
Jen

Old 07-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

mystiq86 HB User
Re: Vitamin bshots, how long before they work?

Well right after my first B12 shot I did get this strange burst of energy and it lasted a few good hours. It took a week before the injection began to help my migraines. Right now I give myself the injection once a week for six weeks so it can build up and hopefully I'll only have one every month thereafter.
I say give it time. Some of us need the injection monthly, every two weeks, or every week. Try not to feel too discouraged.
Best wishes, and keep us posted.
Natalie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

thanks natalie, i guess i had built my expectations a bit high from some of the internet material i had read. thought id feel a burst of energy. going away for a 4 days mini vacation for my birthday and wanted to have some energy instead of feeling drained all the time to the point of just laying on the sofa and simply breathing without even moving a finger.
I will see the doc week after next and will probably get on the injections weekly to see if it helps. i hate this anemia stuff. i also have fibro and that makes me tired as well but not like this. fibro pain weakens me after pain for so long, but this stuff just takes the breath out of me. thanks for the note hon and i will give it more time.
jen

Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #4

turl HB User

Some people have trouble converting the type of B12 in the shots (it's either cyanocobalamin or hydroxocobalamin) into the usable types by the body: methylcobalamin (used in brain and nerves) and adenosylcobalamin (Dibencozide--used by cells for energy production). I know a lady on another forum who had to have the shots every 4-5 days, even though she had to fight her doctor to get them that often, that didn't need the shots anymore after starting daily sublingual Methylcobalamin (at amounts of at least 1000 mcg or more). I've read that the liver only converts about 1% of the cyano-b12 into the methyl-b12. AND, most doctors are way behind the times in thinking that shots are the only way to raise B12 levels, EVEN in Pernicious Anemia. In daily oral amounts greater than 1000 mcg, some B12 will get absorbed passively, even without IF. Studies show that oral supplementation raises levels better than shots (probably because it's a daily, constant intake).

It's worth a try.....

good luck,
Tab

Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

It all depends how long you have been deficient, if you lack the intrinsic factor and how low the level was. I took the shots every week for 12 weeks, level did not go up so another 12 weeks and then every other week for 2 years before I started feeling less tingly and fatigued, my level was down to 66 and had been suffering from various symptoms for 2 years before I saw a neurologist, at first they thought I had MS as the symptoms are very similar. I've been giving myself injections every two weeks now since 1997. I can tell when my level drops, like when we went on a 3 week vacation, I didn't bother to take syringes with me and I dropped way down. So it really depends on the person level of defiency etc.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

thanks for all the messages gals. im going next week to see the doc and see what she suggests. i do know that while on vacation i have to admit i didnt feel "energized" but didnt feel as fatigued as i have for the last several months. so it could have worked once it got into my system.
Jen

Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

hi ladies, also wanted to ask, if those of you who are anemic, do you ever feel a form or electrical shocks thru your body? i know if you are witdrawing from some meds this is a symptom, but im not withdrawing from anything. Just wondered if any others have felt this shock. Theyre not painful just frustrating and more or a nuisance than anything. They feel very unsettling when youre getting them. I did notice that the electrical shocks have stopped or minimized since i had the b shot.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

IT's called Lhermittes syndrom and yes I did get them, one of the first signs that actually sent me to the Dr 10yrs ago. I would get them while at work and wonder if anyone noticed cuz they weren't painful just disconcerting. Mine would be like an electrical bolt shoot from the top of my head down to the lower back, it freaked me out. I always felt when it happened that I fell but it was only a sensation of falling cuz people around me never knew I had one. After about 6 months of injections I never got them again. How low was your level? Mine was 66 when I finally saw a neurologist, took almost 2 yrs to get my level up to the low normal and I've been giving myself injections every other week since 95.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

thanks nancy, ive asked around for quite awhile (not on this board, but out here) what this is and no one could ever tell me what it was or what it was called. some had never even heard of electrical shocks in the body.

I dont know how low my level was, i know when im feeling my weakest i get them worse. Im surprised that after this first shot, it seems to have calmed down some. I have had two episodes of it since the shot, but thats nothing like i was having them. Yes like you, several times in a 10 min period to the point of wanting me to jump out of my own skin and just run.

So im going to tell the doctor that it did help some and request that i take them at least once a week or once every two weeks or as she suggests. thank you sooooo very much hon, for putting a name to those shocks. i now know im not crazy lol and that its a real thing. One thing, is it due more to electrolyte imbalance or is this a prelude to MS? or just due to the anemia?
thanks alot hon
Jen

Old 07-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

It's basically the B12level being way too low!! MS is a whole different program and no I haven't ever heard it being a prelude to MS, it just means that the b12 level being so low the nerve impulses sort of "short out" as one Dr described to me. Syndrome isn't really a good word either, it's "Lhermittes sign"because it will go away with enough B12 treatment. Electrolytes, um, don't know but sounds reasonable, everything can go out of kilter when the b12 level gets dangerously low. My grandmother died from pernicious anemia and I heard she went very painfully and insanely towards the end, glad I didn't see it, I was too young to understand, she was only 44.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey Nancy , hope youre well hon. Went to docs today and shes running a blood test to see if my b's are low. Im starting a once a month shot treatment and depending on the results of the blood work, if its low, i will get them once every two weeks. Also found out something today, she checked my thyroid, my blood test came back normal on it, but she felt it and said it felt enlarged so im going for a sonogram on it soon. ALL these things cant add up to anything good lol, feel like im falling apart, but im just glad im starting the b shot treatment. Im keeping a positive attitude towards it and know it will work. I dont care if its a placebo effect or if its really working lol. i just hope it makes me feel less tired.
thanks hon, and im so sorry to hear about the way your grandmother passed over hon, sounds like a very painful way to go. And 44 WOW, that is WAY to young!!
Jen

Last edited by Jenetti; 07-26-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 08-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #12
(female)

Babi HB User

I would be most grateful if someone could answer the following questions:-

I have diagnosed Hypothyroidism, and although not diagnosed, I think I actually have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. I also have Vitamin B12 injections because of lack of the intrinsic factor in my stomach. The type of injection I have is Hydroxocobalamin, 1mg/ml, 1ml ampoule once every eight weeks. I was originally having that same injection once every twelve weeks, and I had a terrible 'battle' to get it more often. I have been having these injections since 1997, and have been having them once every eight weeks for more than one year now. I usually start to go downhill about four weeks before I am due my next injection, with the two weeks before being more pronounced symptoms wise. After I have had my injection it seems to take about two to three weeks before it takes affect. This time round it does not seem to have had any affect. I, therefore, do not know whether this is a Hypothyroid problem and/or a vitamin B12 problem.

Is there any way of distinguishing between the two?

What specific symptoms do you have in relation to Vitamin B12 deficiency?

Is a pressure (without pain) at the back of the head one of them? I have had this pressure (without pain) at the back of my head off and on for many years now. My head feels heavy at such times, when I also feel like I want to go to sleep, but in the past lying down has either alleviated the problem, but when I sit up again it returns, and/or I have immediately fallen asleep. This time round I fall asleep with it. Again I do not know whether this is because of hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, hypoglycaemia, or low blood pressure.

Are there any tests to determine how often one should have Vitamin B12 injections? As if one has these injections more than is needed that in turn can cause significant side effects.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Babi

Last edited by Babi; 08-17-2005 at 03:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #13

turl HB User

Hi Babi:

In between your B12 injections, have you tried large, daily sublingual doses of B12? New studies show that even without IF, *some* oral B12 is absorbed passively, but you have to take somewhere around 2000 or more mcg daily. It might give you just enough to make it a little easier on you during the time you start to decline between shots. Perque makes a hydroxocobalamin sublingual, or you could get methyl-b12 and dibencozide--the 2 coenzyme types of B12 that hydroxo-b12 is broken down into before use by the body. I have Jarrow methyl-b12 in 5000 mcg amounts and Source Naturals dibencozide in 10 mg.

I don't know why doctors won't give B12 more often....they certainly don't hesitate to Rx drugs out the wazzoo. You could also buy B12 from veterinary supply companies--I've heard of people who do it.

Wish I could help you on the hypothyroid stuff. Are you taking something for it?

Good luck,
Tab

Old 08-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #14
(female)

Babi HB User

Hi Tabs,

Many thanks for your more than helpful reply to my last post, which is very much appreciated!!

No, I have not tried large, daily sublingual doses of B12, but like you, I had also read, (in my case on a website), that *some* oral B12 is absorbed passively either by taking tablets and/or eating food/foods rich in B12. But I had forgotten all about it because of my health at the moment, so I am very glad that you reminded me about it!! The article I read said that the amount of said absorption, however, depends on the individual, so in that sense the amount of absorption varies from person to person, that same article going onto say that at least five percent of *some* oral B12 is absorbed passively by *some* people.

As a side issue on this same subject, a qualified herbalist told me many years ago now, that when taking Vitamin B supplements it is important to take them all in one tablet, as he said that it is no good say taking Vitamin B6 on its own, as one needs to take all the other remaining Vitamin Bs in order for that Vitamin B6 to be absorbed into the body. I am prescribed strong vitamin B compound tablets, which I have to take once a day. There is no breakdown shown on that same bottle of tablets as regard to micrograms etc., so I do not know what the individual doses of each vitamin B are in those same tablets. I must remember to ask the chemist about that next time I pick up my medical prescription. I also already buy and take a daily multi - vitamin tablet that includes 3 ug of Vitamin B12, which is supposed to represent 300% of the recommended daily allowance.

I have been to my local chemist/pharmacy today in order to buy Vitamin B12 tablets, but they do not stock them on their shop floor shelves. I was, however, fortunate in that the shop assistant serving me asked the chemist and he in turn handed her a container containing 50 Cyanocobalamin BP 50 mcg (Vitamin B12) tablets - Brand name "Cytacon". Doseage for adults and the elderly being 1 to 3 tablets or more daily between meals, or as directed by your doctor. Therefore, I am now taking Vitamin B12 from three different sources in tablet form, so hopefully I might find some improvement during this decline period before I am due my next Vitamin B12 injection.

What you have said about hydroxocobalamin sublingual, and also about methyl-b12 and dibencozide makes sense, especially in relation to the latter, which seems more logical and which I note you are taking yourself in the doses you mentioned in your last post.

You said: "I don't know why doctors won't give B12 more often". Usually the root of many problems is in relation to money, so may be there is not always the financial funding available to consistently check and monitor an individual patient's Vitamin B12 status together with the fact, as I also mentioned in my last post, that it can be very dangerous to any patient's health if they are prescribed too many Vitamin B12 injections.

Yet, also as you correctly mentioned they often do not hesitate in prescribing many other medications. I have read a few articles in the past, which have stated that "drug pushers" do not only exist on the streets, those articles were in relation to a significant number of doctors and certain pharmaceutical companies. Also one doctor in England, where I live, told me that family doctors/or General Practitioners are only there to treat the symptons and not the causes. This would also tend to suggest why many doctors treat and prescribe drugs for individual medical symptoms instead of looking at those same medical symptoms as a whole/and/or collectively to determine the cause, such as an underlying medical disease and/or underlying medical disorder. More presriptions mean more money for the pharmaceutical companies. The other thing that a noteable amount of doctors do not allow for is the drug interaction when prescribing more than one medicinal drug to a patient; said interactions which also have their own medical side effects depending on the drugs being prescribed and taken by any one patient.

Doctors also have to follow an official protocol, where they are supposed to follow set procedures, but there are fortunately a noteable amount of doctors who go beyond those set procedures and do all that they can in relation to their patients' health, (I have yet to find such a doctor!!), whereas other doctors just follow set procedures, and yet again there are also other doctors who fall signifcantly short when following those same set procedures.

It is a coincidence that you should mention veterinary supply companies, as over the years I have sometimes thought:- "How is it that animals can be treat by vets for vast ranging medical problems and yet animals cannot speak, so, therefore, cannot relate to others how they are feeling in relation to their health!!" If vets can do this, why cannot Family Doctors/General Practitioners do the same??

Yes, I am being prescribed medication for my hypothyroidism, but there is a similar tale there, where many patients are not receiving all the requisite medical tests. Therefore, I also take herbal supplements as well as my prescribed medication, as I have undertaken a considerable amount of medical research in relation to thyroid disorders, as well as my other medical conditions.

How are you feeling these days, do you have any other medical problems?

Many thanks again for all you help!!

Take care

Babi

Last edited by Babi; 08-18-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #15

turl HB User

Hi Babi:

I enjoyed reading your post. It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do in order to be a good "medical consumer" since it's ultimately up to the individual to take charge of his/her own welfare.

Most of my symptoms are clearing nicely. I had weird light shows in one eye--optic neuritis--that started resolving as soon as I started B12. My breathing is much better now, as is my energy level. I still have tingling in my feet, but it's not bad. MUCH better from this time last year. My "brain fog" comes and goes, but I'm not sure how much B12 related that is. I also take Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and I think it helps that too.

Where do you find that too much in the way of B12 shots is bad for you? I haven't come across any toxicity levels. In fact, doses up to 50 mg have been given to some, in studies trying to regenerate nerves. With you having a real B12 problem, then what you're taking orally probably isn't high enough, as I've read that only a small percentage (around 5%?) of each oral dose is absorbed. The cyano-b12 you're taking is only 50 mcg. The ideal oral dosage is *at least* 1000 mcg. However, there is some concern about taking too much cyano-b12 because of it's cyanide component. Can you not find one of the other forms in England? Can you order via the internet? I get mine from iherbdotcom (replace the "dot" with "." maybe the name of the place won't get deleted like it usually does). I have no connection with them, just find them easy to deal with, cheaper (for me, but I'm not international) than my local health food store, etc.

I, too, take a B complex, but I take my methyl-b12 away from it like I'd read to do. I don't think it really matters--what does matter is that you do take a complex at some point each day to keep from getting out of balance with the others. Methyl-b12 is already in its co-enzymated form, so it doesn't need help getting converted (but maybe to be absorbed?). Used at night, it's supposed to also have some impact on sleep--a good benefit of some sort--forget what, so that's when I take it.

Since you have a "down" period between B12 shots, it would seem that you don't store it well. Since B12 is stored in the liver, have you researched liver health and things to supplement it? I've been doing that (studying it) and trying to take a few "support" things (Alpha Lipoic Acid and Milk Thistle).....and trying to just generally be kind to my liver (avoid chemicals whenever possible, etc.).

I don't know of other health problems.....just that the B12 def. sure caused a lot of different things that didn't seem related at first. When I first started getting tired a lot, I wanted my thyroid checked because problems with it were common in my family. Everything came back "okay", except for larger than normal MCV--which is indicative of B12 or folate def. Because my serum B12 came back normal, I went un-Dx'd for several years. Methylmalonic acid test finally revealed the B12 problem. Too bad my doctor wasn't up-to-date with B12 knowledge. Haven't had my thyroid tested in awhile. I do have low-body temperature which could be from thyroid, even with normal testing (Wilson's Syndrome, I think it's called). I haven't pursued that yet....I'm waiting to see how far my B12 will carry me back to "perfect health".

Good luck to you! Post back if you can tell any difference between shot times (though I really think you need higher oral doses to tell anything....hopefully I'm wrong, though!).

Tab

Closed Thread