It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

MandyPandy HB User
Ice cravings and anemia

I have been anemic most of my adult life off and on. I have weight loss surgery 2 years ago and it has gotten worse because of the mallabsorbtion issues (no other complications though). I have had ice cravings over the past few years but over the past year it got way worse to the point that I was eating 7 pounds of ice (the small bag that you can buy) every 2 days (and this was only the evenings when i was home). About 6 months ago my surgeon did a blood count and my iron and B12 was low. They told me to get a B12 shot at my family doctor. I got a B12 shot and my blood drawn again. After the B12 shot i felt much better and didn't crave the ice as much anymore. My PCP called and said my blood counts were normal! How is it that i have this crazy ice craving that got better after the shot if I am not anemic??? I want to quit chomping ice but I can't help it. it's like a crazy adiction that I can't control. I'm driving the people I work with CRAZY! I feel bad but I can't stop. Anyone else have this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: Ice cravings and anemia

Hi MandyvPandy

I can certainly relate to your ice cravings. I used to rate restaurants by what kind of ice they had - I always preferred the smaller cubes that I could chomp on easier and I knew which restaurants had them! My husband would eat a bowl of potato chips and I would eat ice.

When I found out that I had low hemoglobin and iron counts I was sent to a hematologist. He asked me if I chewed ice ! When I told him yes he said that is a symptom of iron deficiency but to refrain from chewing it because it was not good for you. To make a long story short, in February I had to have an iron transfusion. Since then my iron counts have stayed up and I have not craved the ice.

Are you iron counts still low? Did you know that chewing ice is also bad for your teeth? I knew that but it didn't stop me from chomping. Let me know how you're doing. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving. B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingmom
Hi MandyvPandy

I can certainly relate to your ice cravings. I used to rate restaurants by what kind of ice they had - I always preferred the smaller cubes that I could chomp on easier and I knew which restaurants had them! My husband would eat a bowl of potato chips and I would eat ice.

When I found out that I had low hemoglobin and iron counts I was sent to a hematologist. He asked me if I chewed ice ! When I told him yes he said that is a symptom of iron deficiency but to refrain from chewing it because it was not good for you. To make a long story short, in February I had to have an iron transfusion. Since then my iron counts have stayed up and I have not craved the ice.

Are you iron counts still low? Did you know that chewing ice is also bad for your teeth? I knew that but it didn't stop me from chomping. Let me know how you're doing. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving. B.
I also have a chronic iron deficiency, but because I have very sensitive teeth, I only crave shaved ice such as what you would get in a slushy or Italian Ice treat. But the crunchies still occur in the form of pretzels salted or not, doesn't matter, or peanuts, or the fake fat fried potato chips, (don't like taste of real oil any more, it all tastes stale)My theory is that in some way or shape the iron craving makes us want to eat which makes us want to chew just as we lose our appetites for nutrition, so we end up chewing or eating non-nutritious foods, due to the altered perceptions and tastes due to the anemia. Isn't that just a squirrel loop and a half?

Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

thanks for the replies. Yes, I know it's bad for my teeth LOL. I can't seem to stop though. it has gotten better after the B12 injection but still not cured. it was so bad at one time that i could not fall asleep if i did not have a bag of ice in the house, could not leave the house w/o a cup and knew what kind of ice every supermarket had etc. the doctor said my blood result were now normal. i had them take them again because i thought maybe they got the results messed up. I'm waiting on the 2nd test results.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
(female)

giiiii21 HB User

Wow! I never even knew anamia caused this! I have been obsessed with chomping ice since i was like 8 yrs old..and thought it was just me..and was normal.. I've always had low iron aswell! But i didn't know it was because of anamia! I am anaemic with very low ferritin! Do i need to go see a doctor about this??...-.-

Old 11-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
(female)

rockcreek HB User

I hear about the ice cravings all the time. I didn't crave ice, but I did crave carrots. What is it about this hard crunchy stuff. The cravings go away when my blood goes up.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

When I had IDA and my ferritin was 4, I liked cold water and would crave cold soda pop...non diet every so often. I craved steak and would eat the thawed frozen spinich from the box ....didn't want to wait to cook it.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

Genisus HB User

I too crave ice like crazy! My iron count at present is 82

Last edited by Genisus; 12-08-2005 at 08:05 AM.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
(female)

Tiffany2521 HB User

I am new to this board and for the last about 7 months I have become an ice fanatic. I would have have never imagined there was a correlation between ice cravings and anemia. Why is that?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
(female)

chatyady HB User

I too craved ice, I was both iron and B-12 anemic, the ice soothed my sore tongue, chewing is a stress reliever, and it soothed my upset stomach. It's a coping mechanism, I suspect. I'm no longer crave ice! I don't think you can OD on B-12, get some OTC and maybe it will help!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
(female)

katiekay HB User

My cravings include ice, coffee grounds straight from the can, and burnt microwave popcorn! I have an aunt who craves the ice and coffee grounds, too. I am on b12 shots and Fergon. Praying it will work and relieve my crazy cravings.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Even if your ferratin level comes back in the normal range, it could be at the low end of the range. Mine was at the low end and the doctor didn't think it was worth mentioning to me I guess. This was over 10 years ago. Figured it out myself when I ended up with RLS, another symptom of anemia. Iron supplements with vitamin C (to help absorb the iron) worked for me. I also include a B-complex vitamin, and a regular multi-vitamin. I'm symptom-free now. My craving was burnt match heads by the way. LOL Eating this weird stuff is called Pica. Very unhealthy, and in the case of my eating burnt match heads, potentially dangerous.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
(female)

katiekay HB User

Would you please tell me what is RLS? Restless leg syndrome?

Yes I am familiar w/ Pica. I have heard of some terrible cases of it. Even one lady who craved and ate typing paper! Thank you for your reply.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekay
Would you please tell me what is RLS? Restless leg syndrome?

Yes I am familiar w/ Pica. I have heard of some terrible cases of it. Even one lady who craved and ate typing paper! Thank you for your reply.
Hi Katie,
Yes, it's Restless Leg Syndrome.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
(female)

jennyback HB User

Hey I eat ice like its going out of style my Dr said it was because of my anemia. I have metal teeth thanks to a softball so i can handle the crunching my friends just hate the sound of it though. My anemia is related to lupus been anemic for years and didnt know why. well keep on crunching
Jenny

Closed Thread