It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
(female)

Yamyam HB User
Hemoglobin level 6.5

Hi

I have a few questions on anemia and the hemoglobin level.
Is it possible there are different ways to categorize the healthy hemoglobin level or other measurements?
In the Netherlands females should have a hemoglobin level of 7.3 to 7.8 and if I look on international English sites it seems a moderate level should be higher and 6.5 is almost as worse as you can get. Am I confusing things or what?

And how severe do you consider anemia with hemoglobin level of 6.5?

And is depression a symptom of anemia? I swallow anti depressiva medicins since about 5 years and they usually help fine but the last half year I'm getting more and more depressed.

Apart from that I feel weak all the time, and like I'm living in a haze. When I walk the stairs or cycle I go panting like a dog. The last two weeks I even pant when I walk 30 meter on equal ground (no hills or stairs whatsoever). When I get up after lying or sitting I see 'stars' and my head feels heavy. Etc.
In my sleep my heartbeat goes 80, and when I cycle it goes 130. My blood pressure was 75/135 last time it was measured (which is about half an year ago)

Is it also normal that my symptoms are more severe when I have slept or rested for a while?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

stoutheart HB User
Re: Hemoglobin level 6.5

Hello ******,

First thing that comes to mind are your periods heavy? Your level is pretty low. My hematologist considered above 10 was ok. But around 11 to 12 is normal.

My periods were heavy and non-stop for a year. My hemoglobin got down to 4 and I needed a transfusion. I was weak and dizzy and living in a haze too. Turned out that I had a fibroid tumor that needed to be removed.

You might need to see a ob/gyn to be checked out.

Hope this helps!

Heidi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

Yamyam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutheart
Hello ******,

First thing that comes to mind are your periods heavy? Your level is pretty low. My hematologist considered above 10 was ok. But around 11 to 12 is normal.

My periods were heavy and non-stop for a year. My hemoglobin got down to 4 and I needed a transfusion. I was weak and dizzy and living in a haze too. Turned out that I had a fibroid tumor that needed to be removed.

You might need to see a ob/gyn to be checked out.

Hope this helps!

Heidi
No, my periods are not so heavy. I think they're pretty average. I do have a lot of pain in my belly, but not more blood than most people.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

stoutheart HB User

I would see a hematologist so they can do a full work up on your blood to try and see why you are feeling the way you are.

Also, if you haven't been to the ob/gyn in a while getting a checkup couldn't hurt.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

pmg HB User

Hello ******, I would think that a hemoglobin of 6.5 his really low. I found out I was anemic 2 years ago, I had the same symptoms as you but just shrugged it off thinking it was because I was overweight. I especially can relate to the feeling in your head when you stand up or when you just exert yourself a little bit and your shortness of breathe. I became anemic because of heavy periods. And I never really thought I had heavy periods, even when my doctor asked me if I have heavy periods, I was like no I think there basically normal, so you see even though you think you have a normal period it could likely be heavy enough to make you anemic. I still take 130mgs of iron daily because my period is still heavy. And I did start to feel better almost right after starting the iron pill.

Anyway take care&hope you start to feel better real soon,
Patty

The Following User Says Thank You to pmg For This Useful Post:
karr4488 (09-03-2012)
Closed Thread