It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User
Yes my anemia has gotten worse

I was wondering before if my anemia have gotten worse. I went to my doctor with shortness of breath, chest pain and very tired. I use to walk up about 6 stairs and get realy tired and short of breath. My doctor ran some test and it is all from my anemia. I am glad that it was not my heart. Thanks

Old 03-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
(female)

Les44 HB User
Re: Yes my anemia has gotten worse

I've had difficulty breathing for the past few weeks. It's very episodic but inhalers and antibiotics aren't working. Wondering if my anemia may have returned so waiting for the lab results. Just wondering if your breathing problems and chest pain were constant. Mine flare up a couple of times during the day but nighttime is really bad. Keeps me up for hours.

Les

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

Mine acts up any time I do any kind of exercise. Like if I go for my usual walk or climb the few stairs in my house. It is like I am out of shape but I have been doing the same things for years. I use to walk a half hour a day with no problems. Now when I go for the walk about 5 minutes into the walk I am tired and short of breath. Like I just ran miles.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

I find the chest pain and breathlessness worse at night. I also feel extremeley tired after ive eaten my evening meal.
I feel like an old woman at 34! I also get a lot of upper back ache too (possibly unrelated)
Linds

Last edited by lindsalou; 03-30-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I've most of yours symptom. I'm surprising no one mentioned palpitation!

I feel great when I can lay down on bed. Even though, I felt spinning and the heart acts like "train stopped all station". I've my chest unwell for a while. Now I felt it's a needle poking pain and very stiff! I didn't feel worse at night. Only when too much sweating and funny heart beats would wake me up, that's all.

Yes, after eating, I can feel the different. Heart was beating very fast and feel very very tire, nausea and sleepy! I thought only eating would cause these problems but now I realised after drinking some liquid like: coffee, tea, milo, soya drink, milk and water, it's all acting as well. I'm trying not to eat and drink as little as I can. Hb is getting low again! All drs said I'm nothing wrong and is in the fine condition. I just keep trying, find the solution from web and thread. Hope you all can post your experience, dr recommandation and solution here!

Pika.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

you would be surprised how many doctors overlook anemia, I went to two different gynocologists, because of heavy periods and they all sorts of tests, blood work and such and determined the cause of my heavy bleeding, but none checked my blood count which is odd considering my complaint is bleeding to much for many years.

I had to go to my primary doctor with a complaint of severe fatigue and he did a full panel and found my blood count was really low. almost dangerously low. this was something that took years to develope, and none of my regular doctors or gyn noticed it despite getting blood work done every year at both doctors. my endrocrine and my gyn.

anemia will make you sickly, tired, headachy, heart palpatations, and feel like you are going to die from walking only 10 steps, you will get breathless, frankly you are just not getting enough oxygne and your brain is telling the heart and lung machine to pick up the pace, but your heart is not getting enough either so you get angina, chest pains due to lack of oxygen due to anemia not heart blockage, then your immune system is overtaxed, it isn't getting the nutrients or oxygen it needs either and boom infections and other heatlh problems. and so to protect you from dying your brain sends the your very tired and weak message to cause you to stop and rest. this is called central fatigue. it is a defense mechnism.

then of course by not getting enough oxygen your body burns mostly sugar for fuel since you need adequate oxygen to burn fat as your main fuel, and you of course need sugar to burn fat effeiciently (that is why people who go low carb go into ketosis ketosis means fat is being burned ineffeiciently which means more sugar wll be burned for fuel (glycogen stores and of course tissue proteins cannabalism to make the sugar that is needed so you lose alot of weight but it is muscle loss and tissue loss not just fat).

so you get hungrier more often, and you get symptoms of low blood sugar, you can truly have sugar control problem,to so don't disregard it totally without first finding if the anemia maybe causing it, insulin resistance, which can be dealt with by a few diet changes and proper supplementation (I take chromium gtf to make insulin work better since I am not diebetic)

seems to be making a difference in my appetite and not getting that I am going to fall asleep in my chair scenario as much, not craving sugar like i was and not getting as hungry as often like I was, of course you can still get hungry taking this stuff if your body still needs the caloires. it just helps the hunger is not a drastic sugar drop due to too much insulin or whatever.

I also have been taking 50 mg iron every day now for over two months, a few weeks ago I started back on walking since I was so sick over the winter and of course the anemia added to it, and one day I walked for 40 minutes and felt pretty good, still had some energy left afterward. the next couple of times I walked, of course I always skip a day for recovery since I am out of shape, i walked again, felt like I was dying, I couldn't walk for five minutes before I had to sit just to catch my breath. and yes oxygen debt will cause back pain or muscle pain because the muscle is not getting enough oxygen and cramps up.

I thought for sure the anemia was reversing since I read it takes 2 months for blood counts to return to normal once you start to treat iron defincent anemia. it had been 5 weeks, and yet I felt so bad when exercising. but I had to remember I just got over a bout of severe sinus infection, the flu and bronchitis all at once that hit me, and it had only been two weeks since I finally felt better took two bouts of antibiotics, and 3 weeks to recover.

but thursday of this week i felt pretty good it was nice outside and I decided to go for a walk, wasn't intending to go far and ended up going 3 miles, and still had energy to spare, of course because of not walking so much for 3 months due to being so tired and of course sick there for a month, my legs really felt it some, my ankles it was the worst since I have bad feet High arches. anyway I was surprised that my fatigue was due to my legs not able to go any furthur and not because of central fatigue due to not getting enough oxygen.

so I guess they were right it takes about 2 months or so, considering I had a bad infection and stopped taking iron for a few days as your shouldn't take iron when fighting a bacterial infection as bacteria feed on iron, but then started back up, so technically it has been two months.

I am also healing faster, as much as my legs hurt that day and ankles my pain was almost gone the next day except for a little stiffness, and today only my ankles ache a little, maybe if I can find shoes for underpronation I can eliminate such pain. forgot to add I am sleeping better too, before I suffered insomnia and poor quality sleep that seem to get progressivly worse.

RR

Last edited by dreamer89; 04-01-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Siena HB User

Hi, all.

I'm new to this board. I was very surprised to read that some of you have chest pain, as I don't. Even when my anemia was at its worst (hemoglobin was 6), I had no stamina, but I never had chest pain.

Quote:
I am glad that it was not my heart.
I felt exactly the same way. Heart problems are scary. But anemia can also kill you, and since the heart must work harder, prolonged anemia can cause heart problems.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

Thanks everyone for replying to me. You all have been very informative to me. I also have high blood pressure and my doctor said that it is from the Prednisone that I am on. But if anemia effects the heart now I wonder if the anemia is what is giving me high blood pressure. Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I wonder mine one was affected by the heart medicine "Tambocor"? I don't believe my anemia was caused by the naughty heart. Before I started the heart medicine my Hb was 12.5. After half a year with trying out all that kind of drugs then my Hb dropped to 9.7. I wish to know anyone experience that?

Pika.

Closed Thread