It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

vtgrl HB User
Blood values - iron def. anemia or something else?

I had a blood test done last week, and the results are a bit puzzling:

Iron: 30 (28-170)
TIBC: 513 (261-478) H
% Sat: 6 (20-55) L
Ferritin: 6 (10-300) L
Hgb: 10.7 (12-16) L
Hct: 32.8 (35-47) L
Platelets: 182 (140-400)
RBC: 3.8 (4.0-5.2) L
MCV: 86 (80-100)
MCH: 28 (26-34)
MCHC: 32.6 (32.0-36.0)
MPV: 12.2 (6-9.5) H
RDW: 14.9 (11.5-14.5) H

My doc is puzzled because I don't have heavy periods, in fact I barely get them at all. Scope was negative, and so was test for Celiac. He is sending me to a hematologist because he is stumped, and he said that with my very healthy, iron rich diet I shouldn't have values like this. I am wondering why, if I'm iron deficient, the MCV, MCH, and MCHC values are normal. They are supposed to be low in iron deficiency anemia, right? Could these blood test values be pointing to something else? Any help would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Blood values - iron def. anemia or something else?

I have had blood values resembling those with a B-12 deficiency. Follow through with your hematologist. If he prescribes the B-12 shots your insurance will cover them. My doctor a GP prescribed them with a diagnosis of Iron Deficiency anemia and the insurance would not cover them saying that it was not a correct diagnosis for the treatment. ( I think who ever advised them needs to go back to medical school and get a degree in Hematology)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

vtgrl HB User

I think that was a suspicion of my doc as well, but I thought that B12 deficiency would result in high MCV, MCH, etc. I guess that's not always the case? I probably need to read up on some hematology because some of these correlations are a mystery to me!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it is a small deficiency the MCV and MCH will not be affected as much, later on if the defiency continues, the values will drop in all the areas. Also check the folate as well because they each mimic the other in symptoms, but one can be masked by the other and the damage is still going on.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

vtgrl HB User

I have been following up with a hematologist - she seems to think it's classic iron deficiency. I just need a lot of iron for some reason, even though my periods are very light. I do respond really well to the iron... but I'm still a bit puzzled by my latest results:

hgb: 13.3
hct: 36.5
platelet: 162
mcv: 89
rbc: 4.12
mch: 32
mchc: 36.4 (high)
rdw: 17.0
mpv: 14.1(i think this is high, but latest test doesn't have range)
% saturation: 17% (low)
ferretin: 27

Anyway, I'm wondering what is the significance of high mchc and mpv. I didn't get to ask my hematologist because she just handed me the labwork on my way out! Any suggestions are appreciated - I still think something else might be going on since I don't think it's normal to need so much iron.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MPV = mean platlet volume. It is the average number of blood platelets found in a drop of blood. It is simpler than trying to count the platelets since they can stick together so that a machine does not get the count correct and if you count them by putting them on a slide and eyeballing them yourself, you are as a technologist likely to count another similar cell as a platelet. Medicine and hematology are not exact sciences but it sounds like so far that you just haven't needed to manufacture many platelets. Sometimes with a simple iron deficiency you will get an over the top count because of the cycle that the blood platelet was in when the sample was drawn. Not an exact science at all. The McHC value describes the amount of hemoglobin available in the cell. The number 14.1 describes the red blood cell distribution width which is usually around that number when the body is responding to an infusion of iron or recovering from an iron deficiency cycle. I am referring to the cycle of blood cell manufacturing when I am saying cycle, from time the blood cell is formed to the time it is taken out of the system and replaced with new cells.(about 120 days)

Closed Thread