It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
Normal ferritin level for a female?

Does anyone know? Or, what is considered low?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
(female)

MILLSC HB User
Re: Normal ferritin level for a female?

Lab values will differ slightly in their reference ranges. My Dr. uses Labcorp and they give 10-291; mine was hovering around 5 until iron infusion, then came up to 35 in about 3 weeks.

millsc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #3

KritterKeeper HB User
Talking Re: Normal ferritin level for a female?

The above poster is correct. Your body is considered to have enough iron in storage until the ferritin drops below 10. Then you are considered "iron deficient." Iron deficiency anemia won't occurr unless/until your body can no longer maintain adequate H&H levels (Hemaglobin and Hematocrit) As long as you can maintain your blood levels the number isn't all that important. I'm ALWAYS iron deficient but I'm not always anemic. The only time I've been within normal ranges for ferritin has been right after iron infusions but they don't last long for me. I just seem to chew right thru the iron! I feel find as long as I'm not anemic. Even then if the anemia is just mild I function well.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I have had trouble with anemia for several years. I can't take iron pills because of GI issues. My doctor seems very concerned because my ferritin level is 7. From what I read here, 7 doesn't seem low compared to those with 3 or 4 levels. For those who have raised their levels, was there anything you did besides consume more iron rich food? I've also had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and cat scan on my pancreas to check for internal bleeding, but they came out fine. I would rather find a way to increase my iron than to go through another series of testing. I don't feel many effects from the anemia, just occasional light headedness.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I got that trouble too. Actually, I was low in ferritin since 1999 but the Dr didn't mention to me. The iron pills caused me more trouble than the low ferritin. After having some iron pills, now I'm like a 70 years old OLD LADY. First time got "heartburn" in my life! May be is was the gastroscopy (try to find out the cause of anemia) caused it.

I eat the iron rich food. I think my Cholesterol is shooting to rocket high now. I feel to throw out as anything went in now. I don't know what they want? I feel very miserable!

Pika

The following user gives a hug of support to Pika:
irongurl (11-15-2010)
Old 06-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
(female)

jandk7195 HB User

My ferritin level was at 1.2. I have been going in for weekly intravenous iron and after 3 treatments my level jumped to a 17. My iron only went from a 16 to 17. The doctor figures I will need 16 treatments.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

May be our reading in this country is lower than anyway else. In 1999, the Dr did nothing to me and classify it was normal. No treatment and no follow up. I didn't have symptom of anemia or low iron.

1999 Iron : 6 umol/L (9 - 26)
1999 Ferritin : 4 ug/L (10 - 120)

2006 Iron : 3 umol/L (7 - 27)
2006 Ferritin : 5 ug/L (15 - 165)

Now, Dr asked me to take iron tab. I wander would take how long to get back to the minimum normal level?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

azgirl43 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLSC
Lab values will differ slightly in their reference ranges. My Dr. uses Labcorp and they give 10-291; mine was hovering around 5 until iron infusion, then came up to 35 in about 3 weeks.

millsc
HI MillSC!

How do you feel with your ferritin of 35? I'm at 33 right now, and I'm still pretty tired, but I'm still in the process of regulating my thyroid too. Just curious if you have gotten your energy back. Thx.

Closed Thread