It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
My doctor said my b12 was normal!!

Hi I have had my blood test for my B12 level it was 272 I think the range is ( 200-800 I already have a underactive thyroid and maybe a pituitary tumor, I have a high level of prolactin (over a 1000) do you think that my b12 is to low, can you have a b12 that low and it be ok or is it time for me to take some vitamins...take care ...Mandy

Old 06-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: My doctor said my b12 was normal!!

Those ranges are very generous. So, you are probably ok. The main way to tell if your B-12 is too low is whether you are utilizing it or not. That is the schillings test. It shows how much you are taking in and how much you are excreting in urine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 07:31 AM   #3

turl HB User

A B12 level of 272 is too low! Most doctors in this country are still so far behind the times when it comes to knowledge of B12 and how it is used in the body, that it's a crime. Japan has done many studies that involve B12 and have found neurological symptoms can exist even at levels of 500! They treat anything below that. Besides that, B12 isn't utilized in the blood and in some people it's a useless marker--some have trouble with the "transport" part of B12 into cells and nerves (and brain) where B12 is utilized. Checking methylmalonic acid is a better test.

If your doctor won't give you B12 shots, you can still raise your B12 level with high enough oral doses over time (studies show that some B12 is still passively absorbed even in mal-absorbers if the dose is high enough). You'd need at least 1000-2000 mcg (1-2 mg) every day, but I'd take more. I started with 1000 mcg and gradually went to 5000 mcg a day for a couple of months and then back down to the 2000-3000 mcg that I take now--and it's going on 2 years. Most of my symptoms have reversed themselves.

If you can find it, I'd buy methylcobalamin and/or adenosylcobalamin (also known as dibencozide) over the cyanocobalamin type--which is unfortunately the most commonly found type of B12. The methyl- and adenosyl-B12 types are the 2 co-enzymes of B12 utilized by the body (methyl- in the brain and nerves and adenosyl- in the cells for energy). Cyano-B12 and hydroxo-B12 (also better than cyano-) both have to be converted by the liver first into the 2 co-enzyme types before the body can use them. A health food store would be the first place to look for these mentioned types, and you can definitely find them online--usually cheaper, too.

Also a good idea is to take a good B-complex, but at another time from the individual B12 dose. All the Bs work together and whenever you supplement an individual one you should also take the others to keep things in balance.

[ REMOVED ]

Good luck.
Tab

Last edited by moderator2; 07-04-2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: it's neither necessary nor allowed to discuss the posting rules

Old 07-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD MAZ
Hi I have had my blood test for my B12 level it was 272 I think the range is ( 200-800 I already have a underactive thyroid and maybe a pituitary tumor, I have a high level of prolactin (over a 1000) do you think that my b12 is to low, can you have a b12 that low and it be ok or is it time for me to take some vitamins...take care ...Mandy
I just had to chime in here... I too agree with the previous poster in that your level is too low. My B12 deficiency was discovered with a level of 83 or 84... and after 5 injections (done approx 3-4 weeks apart) my level rose to 609... and at 609 I still have some symptoms! With a level as low as yours I would feel like absolute crap! Sorry.

I think if you doctor refuses to prescribe you any supplementation, you should pick up some over the counter yourself. Just ensure you supplement yourself to at least 1000mcg daily, as the body will only absorb a very small portion. And Methycobalamin is the type most readily used by the body, so you may want to ensure you purchase this type. And, if possible, try to find sublingual supplementation - you place this under your tongue and thats where it gets absorbed.

The thing about B12 is it is not known to be toxic. Therefore, you cannot overdose on it as you can with, say, iron.

And, in my opinion, I think you should get a second opinion... seek another doctors perspective. Any doctor who follows "normal" ranges, and does not take any other factors into consideration is not one I would want to see. And as stated previously, the range your doc is using is outdated.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Angela22F; 07-05-2006 at 06:28 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angela22F For This Useful Post:
deb and zoe (06-13-2011)
Closed Thread