It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

Kalyfrans HB User
High Iron Count - Not hemochromotosis

Does anyone know of any instances where an above normal iron count can cause leg & arm pains? One doc said it was possibly a syndrone of some sort.....don't recall the exact name. I was diagnosed with hemolytic anemia, after ruling out all other causes of anemia. Was treated with 3 chemo drugs. Father died of complications from hemochromotosis, but so far I do not have that, just an abnormally high iron count. Would love to hear from anyone with similar situation.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: High Iron Count - Not hemochromotosis

I have hemolytic anemia as well, but don't have a high iron count. What's your current hemoglobin count? Is your anemia active right now?

The only treatment they've tried so far for my anemia has been low dose Prednisone. How did you fare with the chemo drugs? Could the high iron be an effect from the meds?

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
(male)

Kalyfrans HB User

Hey Joplopper......I had the chemo (Vincristine, Ritoxin, & Cytoxin....spelling?) 4years ago. It worked. I was diagnosed with a possible lymphoma, but never confirmed. The chemo turned my immune system off & started it from scratch, which worked. Blood levels all normal now, except for slightly elevated iron. When first went to MD, anemia of unknow origin, but with elevated iron, was the diagnosis. A hemotologist/oncologist did the follow-up & treatment. Now I have chronic leg & arm pain. Fro my own research, it could be from the iron, an aftereffect of chemo (Vincristine especially), or a million others. I was just hoping someone had a similar history. I will never regret going thru the chem, even if that's the problem now, as I would not have lived long with my levels diving like they were. Took 11 pints of blood initially to get them moving up!

Old 10-19-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
(male)

XzonIsz HB User

Hey i am 20 and i was just hospitalized with sver anemia of 26 but have a iron over load they have not treated me or followed up yet maybe you could give me some advice
Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
(male)

kobuck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyfrans View Post
Does anyone know of any instances where an above normal iron count can cause leg & arm pains? One doc said it was possibly a syndrone of some sort.....don't recall the exact name. I was diagnosed with hemolytic anemia, after ruling out all other causes of anemia. Was treated with 3 chemo drugs. Father died of complications from hemochromotosis, but so far I do not have that, just an abnormally high iron count. Would love to hear from anyone with similar situation.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
(male)

kobuck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyfrans View Post

Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
(male)

kobuck HB User

I have recenly heard of study that is showing anything above 13 for hemeglobin count for long time is the cause of many problems. chronic fatigue , fibromyalgia, diabetes
and some other stuff. I have had same problems since i was young. muscles wont regenerate fast enough for me to do sports or any physical activities for more than a few of days at a time, muscle pain , some swelling if i use my hands such as hammering or as in the case i found out trying to milk a cow when i was 8 or so, could never finish the job .now my forearms are very tight and burn with repeted use of my hands for gripping . I am 50 now and it has been very bad last few years , just to hold a light duty job taking alot of steroids from doctor to keep muscles working. feel real good but again to get back to your point it would seem high side of iron count ca cause problems but doctors dont look at 14 15 or so as being high. Im trying to find more on this study as mayo clinic was supposed to be involved.

Closed Thread