It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zoes life HB User
No Iron in Bone Marrow?

I received the results of my bone marrow aspirate today. The report says I have NO iron in my bone marrow. However, my serum ferritin is up to 60 from 37. How can I have no iron in my bone marrow?

The report also states that the peripheral blood smear says there is mild to moderate irregularity in the shape of my RBC's and that several 5-nuclear-lobed neutrophils were identified. My platelets also vary in size more than normal.

My hemoglobin is still holding at 10.1. Last month it was 10.4.

The hematologist wants me to start taking iron, and keep taking B12, and retest in 2 months. I am not sure I understand how this will help. I have enough iron stores, it seems to not be getting into my bone marrow.

Any ideas? Honestly, I think he is guessing on what might work.

Zoe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Re: No Iron in Bone Marrow?

Your ferritin scores reflect your body's storage of iron. Once those scores plummet below 10 it indicates that your marrow no longer holds any iron stores. However, it takes a very long time of taking iron supplements to reverse the process. Although your scores may be improving it will take a while before that is reflected is all of your test results. The wiade variance in blood values is also a reflection of this issue. If your dr has determined that your anemia is caused by iron deficiency and possibly a B 12 issue this is almost always easily remedied with iron supplements and shots of B12. Still it may take a while to notice improvements but they will come.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

zoes life HB User
Re: No Iron in Bone Marrow?

KritterKeeper,

Thank you for your response. I don't think I was clear in my question though. My iron stores are increasing before I started the iron. The lowest my ferritin has been is 19 (that's when my hemoglobin was it's highest). The blood draw with the ferritin level of 60 was conducted the same day as the bone marrow aspirate which showed no marrow iron. I started the iron after those tests. For some reason the iron does not get into the bone marrow, despite there being sufficient stores in the ferritin. From researching last night, the discrepency between ferritin levels and marrow iron reflects some other co-concuring condition.

Also, FWIW, automated counters from 2 different labs show macrocytosis, and manual counts from 2 other labs (4 labs total) show normal sized RBC's. I thought maybe the RBC's were sticking together and showing larger sizes on the automated counts, but that should affect number of RBC's and there is no correlation.

My B12 levels have always been fine, and my MMA is not elevated. It was my idea to try the B12 because I had read that in rare cases MMA and B12could be normal in light of B12 deficiency.

Can a mixed cause anemia cause these values to be off?

Last edited by zoes life; 09-21-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Closed Thread