It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

anah HB User
Liquid Liver Extract for anemia????

I'm wondering if anyone has taken or is taking the liquid liver supplements (heme iron). I read that it absorbs better and faster than non-heme, ferrous, etc. My ferritin is 5 and hemoglobin 10 -- was 7 at one time and I had a transfusion, I am trying to get the levels up so I won't have to do that again. I have extremely heavy menstrual periods is why its hard to build it back up. (I am considering endometrial ablation, if anyone has done that please reply and let me know how you are doing and what you experienced, etc.).

I also read that liquid heme iron can blacken/darken your teeth, but I'm assuming if you take it in pure liquid form, if it is in a gelatin capsule that you swallow, it shouldn't blacken your teeth should it? The supplement I am taking is called Energizing Iron by Enzymatic Therapy......It has Vit b12 and liquid liver fractions (predigested and concentrated) 1,100 mg. I take 2 capsules three times a day - and they are huge! I also take 2 Solgar's Iron once a day. Yeah, lots of iron but I feel so exhausted and am trying to build this up as quickly as possible........which means lots of magnesium, stool softeners and fiber laxitives! Not fun.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
(female)

emmy108 HB User
Re: Liquid Liver Extract for anemia????

hey anah,

I haven't tried this yet, but I probly will. I would like to know as well if this will help, so maybe someone will reply with some 1st hand experiance. I am taking the liquid iron... I thought it was non heme.. anyway it is all plant based.. it is slighty staining my teeth..not black at all.. but It is working and there are no side effects ..so the staining will easily come off with a dental cleaning..it's just surface staining..a small price to pay.while I get my numbers up.. I will be changing to a supplement pill form soon I just can't decide which one..as it is very important for me to take an All Natural form ..so I don't want bunch of crap in my supplements.. I have looked at the Liver Extract.. something I am thinking seriously about.. Thanks for the tips on waht yo are taking? I am no expert here.. But that is a lot of iron that you are taking? How long have you been taking that much and is it working?

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

anah HB User

Hi emmy,
I know it is alot of iron, I have only been taking it in the quanities I listed for a week. As for the liquid liver extract capsules (I got those at a Carol Bond Health Food Store, $19.95 for 90 softgels, but I have also seen them online for $15.95 plus shipping), the recommended dose IS 2 capsules 3 times daily. It says it has 1,100 mg of "liver fractions"........I'm not sure what that converts to beside a ferrous sulfphate, etc. tablet as far as iron goes. It also has 2 mg's of "iron" listed, whereas the Solgars iron I take has 25 mg. of "iron" in iron bysglycinate form.......this is suppose to be less constipating to take and is sugar,salt and starch free. I pop a ferrous sulphate 325 mg tablet a few times a week, just in case I need it.

I'm just trying to build up my iron, very worried about my ferritin level as it is at 5, my doctor simply told me to take "Slow FE" and double up on them daily. I had been taking one Slow FE a day, and that obviously wasn't getting the job done. I am scared of having another blood transfusion, I really am quite against doing that again and I've read alot of scary stuff about the IV Iron. There aren't alot of options once you get down past 7, so this iron supplementation I am doing is to build my blood up quickly to the iron level/ferritin level I need. Its my own decision and no has advised me to take the Solgars iron once a day in addition to the Energizing Iron I take 3 times a day. I don't KNOW if its "too much" iron, but when you are severely low and have almost no ferritin, how much is too much? If anyone knows I'd like to hear from them, too. Seems like the IV iron would pump much more iron at one time in than the iron I am consuming in supplements over a weeks time??

Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

emmy108 HB User

Wow, I can so relate to what you are saying! My ferritin is 2..hemo is 9.2 it was 7.9..went up about 20% in 30 days ..with the iron I am taking ..but still I am very low. I actually have a doctors appt.. in an 1 hour about my anemia.. they will be drawing more blood..so we will see where I am... i too don't want a blood transfusion nor IV iron.. so I am also taking supplements..and as much iron rich food that I can..No meat though, I am a vegetarian.. I just don't think your body can absorb all that iron.. but I beleive the raw liver extract is good.. and personally they make it a liquid form..which I believe is better for absorbtion. Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They have it there..some people have jad no side effects really with the IV iron..so maybe it will be ok.. does your doctor want to do that and also your scores that were just listed are they recent..

My mentrual flow is heavy as well and my Gyno want to do the same as Endometral Ablation. I dont want that either.. I am taking Naurual Progestone Cream.. and my period last month was incredible lighter.. I would start that right away for you periods.. but thats just me.. it can't hurt you and may help you!

Emmy

Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

anah HB User

Emmy, hope you have a good report at your dr.'s visit. Yes, the levels I have are recent, had the lab work done about a week and a half ago. Your levels of ferritin 2 and hemoglobin just over 7 are close to what mine were when I had the blood transfusion 2 yr.s ago, well the ferritin I'm not sure of but my hemoglobin was 7 and since I have a hemoglobin now of 10, and ferritin of 5, I'm sure my ferritin was lower than 5 at the time I had my blood transfusion. Great that you are up to 9 in 30 days! It generally takes months to bring those levels up when your ferritin is so low.

The information I've gathered says that your body cannot get rid of any "extra" iron like it does with extra magnesium, B12, etc. through urine or otherwise. People with too MUCH iron in their body are encouraged to give blood as that is the only way the iron will leave their body (unless its a menstruating female). Usually men have more of a problem with too much iron as they don't lose any blood on a regular basis unless they have a GI problem. So, with that information that I'm going on, it seems my body WOULD retain the iron supplements I consume..............Except that I do have heavy menses, which is why I have this problem in the first place. I don't believe I am endanger of overdosing on iron since I am chronically anemic at this point - but I'm not a doc either, I don't know if an anemic person CAN overdose on iron. Seems you should be able to take all that your stomach/system will tolerate without having stomach/GI problems.????

I am leaning heavily towards the endometrial ablation, I feel at this point that is my only alternative to keep my blood up, other than a hysterectomy. Women that have hysterectomies are more prone to heart disease, I am not wanting to trade one problem for another! Sometimes it is mandatory, but I feel I shouldn't have a hysterectomy at this point.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
(female)

anah HB User

Emmy, hope you have a good report at your dr.'s visit. Yes, the levels I have are recent, had the lab work done about a week and a half ago. Your levels of ferritin 2 and hemoglobin just over 7 are close to what mine were when I had the blood transfusion 2 yr.s ago, well the ferritin I'm not sure of but my hemoglobin was 7 and since I have a hemoglobin now of 10, and ferritin of 5, I'm sure my ferritin was lower than 5 at the time I had my blood transfusion. Great that you are up to 9 in 30 days! It generally takes months to bring those levels up when your ferritin is so low.

The information I've gathered says that your body cannot get rid of any "extra" iron like it does with extra magnesium, B12, etc. through urine or otherwise. People with too MUCH iron in their body are encouraged to give blood as that is the only way the iron will leave their body (unless its a menstruating female). Usually men have more of a problem with too much iron as they don't lose any blood on a regular basis unless they have a GI problem. So, with that information that I'm going on, it seems my body WOULD retain the iron supplements I consume..............Except that I do have heavy menses, which is why I have this problem in the first place. I don't believe I am endanger of overdosing on iron since I am chronically anemic at this point - but I'm not a doc either, I don't know if an anemic person CAN overdose on iron. Seems you should be able to take all that your stomach/system will tolerate without having stomach/GI problems.????

I am leaning heavily towards the endometrial ablation, I feel at this point that is my only alternative to keep my blood up, other than a hysterectomy. Women that have hysterectomies are more prone to heart disease, I am not wanting to trade one problem for another! Sometimes it is mandatory, but I feel I shouldn't have a hysterectomy at this point.

I may post another thread and see if someone knows if taking too much iron supplement orally is possible for an anemic person. (This may post twice, I think I hit the wrong button and my first one didn't post, if it did, sorry the double post.)

Old 09-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
(female)

emmy108 HB User

Anah,

I guess that makes perfect since, it would be hard for us to overdose on Iron. Well if your body can't get rid of extra Iron, can it absorb it all?? Good question.

Well, I just go back from seeing my new Doctor, he was very nice and very concerned with the results of my bloodwork from my GYNO.. He drew 6 viles of blood and is testing me for everything.. Liver ..Kidney..Iron.. Ferritin..Binding Iron.. Hepititas B and C... and more.. plus I have to go get a Colonoscopy?

Have you had one yet? I am sure the Ablation thing is a good alternitive.. but I am 46 and..will be entering menopause soon.. He is checking my menopuasal level as well which will help me decide if I need to go that same route.. I just need to make sure that that is the true cause of my anemia.. and since I just found out 5 weeks ago that I have this.. I have to have all the test done.. I will be sure to post my recent blood work..and hopefull ..decide what to do as well.. this is very distressing.. and I know from reading here this anemia can take a long time to correct itself. Thanks for your post. I would also opt for the ablation over a hysterectomy as well.. want to keep all my parts!!

Emmy

Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
(female)

emmy108 HB User

Anah,

I guess that makes perfect since, it would be hard for us to overdose on Iron. Well if your body can't get rid of extra Iron, can it absorb it all?? Good question.

Well, I just go back from seeing my new Doctor, he was very nice and very concerned with the results of my bloodwork from my GYNO.. He drew 6 viles of blood and is testing me for everything.. Liver ..Kidney..Iron.. Ferritin..Binding Iron.. Hepititas B and C... and more.. plus I have to go get a Colonoscopy?

Have you had one yet? I am sure the Ablation thing is a good alternitive.. but I am 46 and..will be entering menopause soon.. He is checking my menopuasal level as well which will help me decide if I need to go that same route.. I just need to make sure that that is the true cause of my anemia.. and since I just found out 5 weeks ago that I have this.. I have to have all the test done.. I will be sure to post my recent blood work..and hopefull ..decide what to do as well.. this is very distressing.. and I know from reading here this anemia can take a long time to correct itself. Thanks for your post. I would also opt for the ablation over a hysterectomy as well.. want to keep all my parts!!

Emmy

Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
(female)

emmy108 HB User

Anah,

Emmy

Old 09-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
(female)

anah HB User

Emmy, I'm glad you have a concerned doctor that is looking at everything and not ruling anything out. I hope he listens to you, also! Sometimes doc's are all about labs, but don't actualy listen to how the person feels, only focus's on the labs. Make him hear you, too, when you go back for labs, especially if he says your o.k. and you know your not.

Yes, I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy when I was in for the transfusion, doc was pretty sure it was the periods, but, wanted to check everything. They knocked me out, I didn't know a thing and didn't want to! I didn't even know I'd had it done, didn't feel any different at all "down there!".

I had a post to the question of "too much iron"? I am going to call a pharmacist, I know you can get iron poisoning from taking to much if you have plenty to start with, still not sure.

Closed Thread