It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
chest pain associated with being anemic?

I have had chest pain and pressure since last November!!! Yes, last spring I have had the stress test and echo, so it's not my heart. Also a HIDA scan, which was fine.
Lately, I can say that my iron must be low. I am dragging! I had bloodwork done yesterday at my Hemotologist's. I don't see him till Oct. 26. I had intravenous iron last Dec. I think I need it again. Will his office call me before I see him in a month? I doubt it......................
Just curious if this constant chest pain and pressure is possibly associated with anemia, since no Dr. has an explanation for it.
Thanks,
elphers

Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: chest pain associated with being anemic?

Elphers,
I have hemolytic anemia, and when my hemoglobin levels go too low, I get all kinds of symptoms - and heart palpations and some chest pain goes with it. But when those symptoms appear, I have other symptoms as well: I can hear my pulse in my ear when I lay down, I'm yellow, have tea-colored urine and these little muscle tick-things. There's no mistaking it.

Do you have any other symptoms besides being tired and chest pain?

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

elphers> Chest pain can be a symptom of anemia. My chest pains is what convinced me to go to the dr at the beginning. All the other symptoms I was feeling, I just shrugged it off to being a busy mom with not enough sleep. Well when my blood test came back, my dr called right away to come to his office. They asked if I could drive. I thought they were nuts, suggesting that I would or might have a problem driving.
When I got to the dr, they did a ekg and said I should be in a hospital. My hgb was down to 8 with ferritin level of 2. I was glad that there was a reason for all my symptoms which is iron anemia.
I would get any chest pain looked into. For women, heart attack in the
number 1 killer.
My doctor kept saying, you are a very sick woman and I thought I was just tired.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

dbr HB User

I am also anemic. I too went to the Dr. after experiencing a constant pain in my chest (like on my left rib cage) and a heaviness in the area along with it. It was that pain that made me go to the doctor. The other symptons I had I also minimized and just assumed I was over exerting myself. My blood test came back at a level 4 and my doctor immediately called me and told me to get to the emergency room if I could drive, that he was admitting me into the hosptal. I received a blood transfusion (4 units of blood). My doctor stated I literally had "no blood" in my body. Now I am in tune with my body and symptons that go with anemia and I will never dismiss any sympton again.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
(female)

Les44 HB User

Elphers,
I definately get chest pain when my hemoglobin is low. I don't see the hemolotigist very often but go for labs regularly and just call the doctor's office for the results. Why don't you just call the office and ask the nurse to call you back with your CBC levels, at least Hgb. If there's a concern I'm quite certain you'll be asked to come in sooner.
Hope all is well.
Les

The Following User Says Thank You to Les44 For This Useful Post:
Myshkin (01-09-2012)
Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Why yours Dr don't have to find out the cause of anemia? Mine one wants me to do so many many tests and poke every where to find out the cause. Am I going to the wrong Doctor?

Pika

Old 10-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
(female)

Les44 HB User

Pika, in many cases the cause of the anemia and even the trigger is unknown so the doctors can only treat the anemia itself. Sometimes the underlying cause is an autoimmune condition which itself is not cureable. It's always best to let the doctors learn as much as they can about your condition. That way you're going to get the best treatment.
Les

Old 10-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi to the person who said there level was down to 8 i cant remember which one it wasplease please go to the doctor my moms levelgot down to 7 and dr, mike put her in for a blood tranfusion and then aclot formed and she didnt come home. i was in the hospital at the same time for broncitus and all i could do was hear the code blues go off please go take care of your self. and then get on some iron supplements please i lost her 1 month ago on sept.28th o.k.please thank susan kay

Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User
Unhappy Re: chest pain associated with being anemic?

hi i went to see dr.mike today because i woke up this morning with terrible sore throut. and sollen glands.my schedule was only 9;30 to 1;30 so i had called his office and thet never called me back at work so i just went to his office this stuf i have had since i went camping in sept. is back for a third time. he knows i haveent slowed down since moms death camping /me in hosipal / her death /funeral/ to 3 days bereavement to back to work so now its an upper resporory invection with mono. and i came home and i have a leak coming from the floor of my sons bathroom under the house. so when do i need to make my reservation to the funny farm i mean is this all connected to my anemia? when is enough enough? i take my iron every day i just dont eat nesr enough ano appitite. so he has me off 2 extra days i go back to work sat.is this all tied in together with my anemia.any answers?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #10

BlueBelle2 HB User

When it rains it pours eh? Hopefully things will slow down with you, just make sure you are taking good care of you so you can deal with all this.

My doctor is "Dr. Mike" also. He is in Washington State. Is yours? (guess not, I see you are from LA)

I read something the other day that said AIHA is secondary to another autoimmune disease. I have never been dx'd with anything else. Must be why all the tests to rule everything else out. I have often wondered if I have Lupus or some other autoimmune disease.

Last edited by BlueBelle2; 11-14-2006 at 08:47 AM. Reason: adding a comment

Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

i have chest pain and an aching down my left arm,just been told i have anemia,also pains at the back of my legs,started taking tabs yesterday,and they gaveme the runs

Closed Thread