It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
How long for iron store to deplete...is this normal?

I had iron deficiency anemia this past summer...the big suspect is/was heavy periods. I was taking 3 ferrous sulfate pills per day for 2 months. At the end of 2 months (July and August), my iron was within normal range, actually, a little on the high side, and I was not anemic anymore, so I was taken off of it.

Fast forward to now...4 1/2 months after being off the iron pills...I am NOT anemic, but my iron is BORDERLINE LOW (It has gone down about 100 points since being off the iron pills). For those of you that have iron deficiency anemia due to heavy periods, does this sound right for iron to deplete this quickly?

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by littlebunnyfoo; 01-08-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

epidemiologist HB User
Re: How long for iron store to deplete...is this normal?

I have IDA due to heavy menstrual cycles for years. From what my GI doc told me on yesterday, this is something that takes years to occur. However, if you are having a difficulty absorbing the iron because of some other problem that could very well happen. In my case, I have had gastric bypass surgery and the duodenem, which is where iron is absorbed, has been bypassed. So, basically, I could have one heavy cycle and bottom out my iron stores. Now my GYN is looking into putting my into menopause for about one year to give my body time to bounce back. Does this help some?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Thanks - yes, it does. However, it was not the answer I wanted to hear (I wanted the easy answer).

Old 01-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

Shamrock HB User

Yes,this can definitely deplete your iron stores over time. I get IV iron once a week and even though my bloodwork is alot better my ferritin and iron saturation remain low(after 5 months of weekly IV iron!). After 1 heavy period i had in Nov. my Hct dropped 3 points and my hematologist wasn't too happy,lol. I also take medication for lupus and don't absorb the oral iron pills well.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
(female)

bononi HB User

I also have very heavy periods which is why my iron is so low. I think it depends on how long you bleed and how heavy that decides how quickly your iron stores deplete. That is the case with me. My count can be in the 9's and after a period, down in the 8's, which is significant. I was told today by the nurse that women who have this problem can damage thier heart, leading to heart disease when we are older. Our heart has to work so hard to pump blood when our count is so low. I hope I am quoting her correctly.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Bononi - what are your periods like if you don't mind me asking. I'm not even sure that is what is causing my anemia...although my doctors think so. Is your period long? heavy? both?

When you say you go from 9's to 8's do you mean hemoglobin? or iron?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

bononi HB User

Is your period long? heavy? both?

When you say you go from 9's to 8's do you mean hemoglobin? or iron?

My periods can be 6 weeks or 3 months and some days I can't leave the house because the bleeding is so intense. I don't remember if what I quoted was hemoglobin or iron. The hemotologist just said I have 30% less blood in my body and that I don't have a lot of iron stores. I have fibroids again which is why my period is so long and heavy.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I have iron deficiency anemia as well. My period is short. 3 to 5 days is the maxium. If I'm taking iron, my period will be pouring and need to sit in the rest room. The period like a big piece of jelly flash out hot and zoom. The pad unable to absorb the floppy jelly! It messes up in the car seat and bed. Very messy.

I got in the women hospital ER at the first day of zoom period and lower tummy pain August 06. (I also have fibroid 2.1cm). The heamoglobin drop from 99 to 95. I have missed my period for couple of month now (perimenopause) ? My heamoglobin now is 82. My iron left with 1 and ferritin remain at 5. The gastroscopy and colonoscopy are normal and no bleeding found. Blood test showed other chemicals are absorbed well and all in the normal range. Only iron is not growing and go lower and lower

Closed Thread