It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

bononi HB User
Anemia and Chewing Ice

I have been severly anemic for years and started becoming obsessed with chewing ice-going through at least 6 ice trays a day. I found out from my dentist, that this is a condition called PICA, and quite common for anemics. Google it if anyone is interested.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User
Re: Anemia and Chewing Ice

bononi,

That is so weird because before I found out I was anemic I noticed that I craved ice. I would eat one glass of ice after another and I still do. It's like I can't get enough of ice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

Shamrock HB User

This happened to me last summer when I was diagnosed with anemia. It's better now since I'm being treated but I was eating crushed ice and popsicles like they were going out of style! My hematologist told me it's common and that some people even want to eat things like sand or dirt!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
(female)

aldie HB User

I like ice too,and some people ask me what is so good about eating ice?lol

Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kolbysmum HB User

What type of anemia do you have? I have cold agglutinin autoimmune hemolytic anemia and would never think of having cold water, no less chewing ice.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kolbysmum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bononi View Post
I have been severly anemic for years and started becoming obsessed with chewing ice-going through at least 6 ice trays a day. I found out from my dentist, that this is a condition called PICA, and quite common for anemics. Google it if anyone is interested.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

I had this also. I had no idea it was from anemia. I just ate ice for 9 months thinking it was odd that ice was now my "vice." Anyway, I did find out about pica after I had been diagnosed as anemic. The need to chew ice went away after taking iron for 2 months.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
(female)

Shamrock HB User

kolbysmum,I think the symptom of craving ice is seen in iron deficiency anemia. My hematologist told me it's very common if you have moderate-severe IDA.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
(female)

DEEnSC HB User

I"m new to the boards and have been told over a year ago that I was anemic but the doctor I had at the time didn't seem to concerned about it, so nothing was done. This past Nov. I started seeing another doctor who became extremely upset because my anemia had gotten so much worse since it was first noticed. I have been an avid ice eater for the past five years and I don't mean a few pieces here or there. I was buying it in ten pound bags, one a day, every day. I bought a house last year and the fridge has crushed ice in the door and I keep that thing going all day long. I never knew this was a sign of anemia until I read it here and then researched it myself. I have been on the iron tablets for the past three months and have not noticed any improvement in the way I feel at all. My doctor wants me to go for a colonoscopy(sp?) but I really don't want to go that route yet. I do have a rather heavy menstrual flow and think that may have something to do with it. I also have four artifical grafts inplanted and there is a chance they may be leaking so I am scheduled to have those checked as well. Hopefully soon we will find out what is causing this anemia because if it doesn't improve soon, the doc is talking about transfusions. Sorry so long.

DEE

Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

Yes this is true my mom used to eat ice and she was anemic and it would annoy me to death to hear her crunching on ice all the time. Now I'm grown I'm severly anemic (on prescribed high amounts of iron that make me sick btw) and I eat ice like crazy.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
(female)

IceQueen2007 HB User

I too am anemic ( Iron is 15 Hemoglobin 9.4 and Ferritin 2.7) I have been craving ice for about a year and a half. I literally eat 6-8 pounds of ice daily(I buy the 8 pound bags and eat 3/4 to a full bag a day). It drives my friends and family nuts. I am getting my first iron infusion within the next week. I hope my cravings stop.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
(female)

bononi HB User

Ice Queen-I had my first infusion last Tuesday and yesterday is the first day I stopped eating ice! I made my first cup in the morning even though I didn't need it and it didn't taste the same. My cravings are gone already!
I'm going in for my next transfusion on Thursday.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
(female)

IceQueen2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bononi View Post
Ice Queen-I had my first infusion last Tuesday and yesterday is the first day I stopped eating ice! I made my first cup in the morning even though I didn't need it and it didn't taste the same. My cravings are gone already!
I'm going in for my next transfusion on Thursday.

That is great news. I can not wait till ice does not consume my life. Do you also notice you crave other crunchy things too like pretzels or chips and stuff like that? My first infusion is on Tuesday the 6th of February and they are using Infed? Have you ever had that type of iron?

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
(female)

dreamhair HB User

that is funny my little boy ask me if people can get addicted to crushed ice. i eat it all day long, can't get enough. then complain about being cold all the time, he said maybe you shouldn't eat so much ice. lol good logic from a child

Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
(female)

09hockey09 HB User
Question Re: Anemia and Chewing Ice

does anyone else crave anything else besides ice? i crave ice too, but also dirt, sand, anything that would crunch in between my teeth. does anyone crave anything that is considered "totally weird"? you know things people would never think to eat, but im not talking about gross things just weird things you know. cause i have one craving that would be considered really weird. i was wondering if i could share it here and see if anyone is in the same boat, or with some other craving.

Closed Thread