It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

fjones1 HB User
Iron Saturation?

Can someone explain to me what iron saturation is? Mine was 16 on my last test (the range is 15-55). What should the normal level be, and how does this affect IDA overall?

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Iron Saturation?

Your result is in the normal range (albeit you are on the low end of normal). In this test they measure the amount of transferrin that iron can bind to. The more "gaps" there are (less saturated) the worse off you iron deficiency is. They also look at other numbers within this test to get a whole picture as other diseases could mimic iron deficiency anemia.

My iron saturation level was at 7% last check and my ferritin was at 5--all below normal.

If I remember from your previous posts, your ferritin has come up from a very low amount right? Now you are in the normal range for ferritin but on the lower side. It looks like your iron saturation is in the same range. It seems as if your iron defiiciency may be improving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Could you explaint mine one as well? Thanks.

Iron : 1 (7-27)
Transferrin : 48 (20-34)
Transferrin Saturation : 1% (13-47)
Derived TIBC : 85 (44-74)
Ferritin : 5 (15-165)

Comment: A low serum ferritin and raised transferrin indicate reduced iron stores.

Mine Ferritin never drop. It was like that since 1999. Heamotologist said is OK that is nothing she can do. Ask me to live with it. I suppose it is a normal result. Is that too much iron no good to the heart? It'll cause heart attack? I think they want to keep it as low as it can.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Pika,

According to your labwork, it definitely looks like iron deficiency.

The actual "iron" level in your lab result is a 1. This number is hardly ever used anymore as it can change minute-to-minute during the day.

If your transferrin is high, like yours is, it is because your body is trying to produce lots of transferring to move the iron into the red blood cells.

Your saturation and ferritin are very low too.

Yes, too much iron can be bad for many organs. This is a condition called hemachromatosis. You don't need to worry about that. Too little iron isn't good either (but probably not as damaging as too much). The goal is to just get into the normal ranges.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Christine, thanks a lot.

Keep me in the dark for 7 years! Finally knows what are those meant.

Closed Thread