It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

Kezzalou HB User
B12 & Folate - Too High?

Hi

Hope someone can help with my query !

I've been taking B12 supplements (sublingual, Methylcobalamin version) since November as my level was 282 and I was experiencing loads of symptoms!

I've taken around 2mg per day and now my level is up to 902! I presume I don't have an absorbtion problem otherwise I assume it would have taken longer to get this figure up. My doctor would never test me for this anyway as she felt I was not low enough to have a problem.

I have now been told to stop the supplements due to the level being too high and my Red cell folate is now 731 which is apparently way too much.

Does anyone know if there is a connection between B12 & Folate (folic acid?) I don't know the implications of either of these being too high. I have only taken folic acid in my usual multivitamin so I don't know what has caused this.

I do still have symptoms but not as severe, My Ferritin has gone up from 12-59 but it has taken over 6 months for this increase. I presumed if my B12 & Ferritin was now a good level I should be okay!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: B12 & Folate - Too High?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzalou View Post
Hi

Hope someone can help with my query !

I've been taking B12 supplements (sublingual, Methylcobalamin version) since November as my level was 282 and I was experiencing loads of symptoms!

I've taken around 2mg per day and now my level is up to 902! I presume I don't have an absorbtion problem otherwise I assume it would have taken longer to get this figure up. My doctor would never test me for this anyway as she felt I was not low enough to have a problem.

I have now been told to stop the supplements due to the level being too high and my Red cell folate is now 731 which is apparently way too much.

Does anyone know if there is a connection between B12 & Folate (folic acid?) I don't know the implications of either of these being too high. I have only taken folic acid in my usual multivitamin so I don't know what has caused this.

I do still have symptoms but not as severe, My Ferritin has gone up from 12-59 but it has taken over 6 months for this increase. I presumed if my B12 & Ferritin was now a good level I should be okay!
In some people whose b12 and folate are too high it will bring withdrawal symptoms when the levels start to drift downward. It is a range rather than an exact number. The other issues are that in people who do not take any supplements and the b12 is too high or the folate is too high, it can be a sign of cancer. But, not if they are taking any kind of extra vitamins, Also sometimes vitamins will cover up illnesses that need to be addressed. Follow your doctor's orders because they know you case and what is the correct thing to do in your case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
(female)

Kezzalou HB User
Re: B12 & Folate - Too High?

Hi, thanks for your help

I have noticed since I stopped taking the B12 last week I've had more of the tingling and numbness return. Have also felt quite stiff in my fingers on one hand.

Not sure if this is a co-incidence, I've now started taking them again but a lower dose every other day.

Closed Thread