It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

winstonsmom HB User
Iron Transfusion

Hello,

I am scheduled for an Iron Infusion session on Wednesday. My levels are low due to heavy periods. I started my cycle today, will the infusion have to be postponed? Right now, my hgb is at 7 and virtually no iron stores (according to hematologist), will I have to get this procedure postponed or will they have to do a blood transfusion instead?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Iron Transfusion

Hi Winstonmom, you do not need to postpone your IV treatment because of your cycle. I am suprised that they don't want to do a blood transfusion too. Your level of hgb of 7 is really low. With ferritin level of 3 and hgb of 7, it will take several IV iron treatments and it will take a long time for you to start feeling better. My hgb was 8 with ferritin of 2, and it has take me two years to get my levels up to what it should be especially if you still have your period. Hope you will be feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
(female)

winstonsmom HB User

Wow...Thanks for responding. I am going to call my doctor today to see what he thinks. I am sooooooo ready to feel better. I am just grateful that I found out why I had been so exhausted and tired...was beginning to feel like such a loser because I have no energy. I go to work, come home and go to sleep... NO energy to cook...do homework with my son and my normal work hours are 8-6 (mandatory overtime--I work for a large phone company). I am so tired. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Last month my hgb: 8.2, iron: 1, and ferritin: 5. Gastro dr said is OK and live with that.

This month my hgb: 7.8 g/dl (11.5-16.5) and the cardiologists said is looked "GOOD" live with it. I don't know the number here may be is different to yours country. Could you tell me your symptoms? I feel froggy, dizzy, SOB and lightheaded. It'll disappear while I lie down.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

winstonsmom HB User

What actually got me to the doctor was severe shortness of breath...walking down the hall was a problem, achy, light-headed, and in the morning I get this pressure around my neck--as if someone was choking me. I was just thinking that I was having panic attacks and just figured the symptoms would pass but they never did. I realized that I needed to see the doctor when one Saturday, all I did was clean off the dining room table and literally took a nap that lasted 4 hours..just no energy but as a single mom, I still have to work...my customers got on my nerves, I ate ice like it was going out of style, my nails are a mess and my skin is pale. I am an African-American, caramel complexion and my feet are WHITE. My doctor pointed out my pale ear lobes, my throat and my eye lids are also pale. The hematologist said my heart was working extra hard to pump the blood and that's why I felt the pressure around my neck. I never realized being anemic--this SEVERE could do all this. As a kid (I'm 42) always told to take iron pills, eat liver...but with the heavy cycles..I don't know..just didn't realize how important iron is to the blood..Just glad I made it to the doctor.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

bononi HB User

winstonsmom-I was in the same boat as you although my iron was in the high 8's when I started my iron infusions-I also have what my hemotologist says is a starving bone marrow-no iron stores. I had a very heavy period for my first 3 infusions (each a week apart) and even with the infusions, my anemia worsened. As of yesterday (my 5th infusion) and my period finally ended-I am at 10.2! Still low, but at least it is going up. I plan on getting a Lupron injection to stop my period for a few months and shrink some of my fibroids.
I have been going through this for years-but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and you will also.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

When I took the iron pills, my period was pouring. First time I didn't know it was caused by iron pills. I asked the Dr at Women's Hospital, was that a period or bleeding? She said she didn't know but it was very heavy! I also got a 2.1cm serosal fibroid.

Next I took the iron liquid. The period started next day and was pouring. It was in the mid cycle. I realized it could be the side effect of the iron. I stopped it. It is not worse to lose more than the build up.

I was told it is "good" by the cardio and gastro Dr. I think I have to and learn to live with it. Do I have any other choice? Anyway my period has stopped for 3 months now. I haven't seen any raised yet! Where are they going?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika View Post
When I took the iron pills, my period was pouring. First time I didn't know it was caused by iron pills. I asked the Dr at Women's Hospital, was that a period or bleeding? She said she didn't know but it was very heavy! I also got a 2.1cm serosal fibroid.

Next I took the iron liquid. The period started next day and was pouring. It was in the mid cycle. I realized it could be the side effect of the iron. I stopped it. It is not worse to lose more than the build up.

I was told it is "good" by the cardio and gastro Dr. I think I have to and learn to live with it. Do I have any other choice? Anyway my period has stopped for 3 months now. I haven't seen any raised yet! Where are they going?

Interesting. I have heard that when you have iron deficiency anemia, your periods can start to become heavier as the anemia gets worse, thereby, making it even worse. Then I have read that once you start taking the iron, and your body starts to absorb it that the periods will soon follow and they will lighten up.

I know my IDA is not as bad as some reports here and I am taking Spatone Iron which is a lesser amount of iron, but supposedly much more absorbable. I haven't noticed any changes in my period. But, in fact, my last one was a bit lighter than usual.

Closed Thread