It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Question Anemia - low Oxygen when walking around?

I've been anemic for a couple of years now that I know of. The Dr. has just told me to take Iron but I never have on a regular basis so I've just lived with it. I think mine is from heavy periods and diet. Anyhow, my primary Dr. sent me to see a hematologist for the anemia and some other issues I am having. I've been having shortness of breath with minimal activity so he had me walk around the office with the oxygen meter on my finger and while at rest my oxygen was 98-99 but while walking around it dropped to 88%. He was very concerned as he doesn't think my anemia is severe enough to be causing this to happen. Does anyone know if anemia could cause your oxygen to drop when walking around?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Anemia - low Oxygen when walking around?

I would think that this is possible. The primary transport of oxygen is red blood cells. If you are deficient in them, you are going to have less oxygen delivered.

Now, having a son who has asthma, I will say that your oxygen level is pretty low. Really, they will hospitalize my son if he goes down to about 91%. So, I think it's pretty important that you find out exactly WHY this is happening. Besides a consultation with a hematologist (who might be able to give you better feedback than your GP), you probably should have a consult with a pulmonologist to rule out asthma. You can have it and not know it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

dreamhair HB User

i went to the dr. with shortness of breath with little exerction. he checked my hemaglobin it was 8 and ferritin 3, he said this is why i am short of breath. my red blood cells carry my oxygen.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Question Re: Anemia - low Oxygen when walking around?

Hello everyone. I have a simiar question I am not anemic now but I have had a few drops in my rbc in the past. But On mondayMarch 19th I got real pain and shortness of breath felt almost like asthma attack I do have asthma, but hasn't really bothered me. I went to the dr and they put the o2 sensor on my finger and resting it was 100 and walking around the office once I was short of breath and went down to 93, I am only 26 and this has not happened before. The dr sent me for a cat scan of my lungs. I am going back tomorrow for the results. What could cause this? I still easily get short of breath and it has been almost 2 weeks now.
Thanks for any info .
I don't smoke either.
Thanks alot

Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

AmieSue HB User

I was in the same boat - out of breath just walking to my car, muscles burning, etc. My HGB had gone from 9.9 to 7.8 (ferritin was down to 2) in just about a week and a half, and it had gotten a lot worse. They sent me for a blood transfusion because the levels were too low to adequately move the oxygen through my body, and I can say that after the transfusion, I didn't get short of breath walking out to my car, and it has been getting better since (this was just on Friday). I start IV iron this week to sustain my levels while we continue to search for root cause, but I can tell you it has made a HUGE difference for me, so I would completely agree with Christine and her suggestions on next steps - because I know that feeling you are talking about and it can be very scary when it gets bad.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by claflamme View Post
Hello everyone. I have a simiar question I am not anemic now but I have had a few drops in my rbc in the past. But On mondayMarch 19th I got real pain and shortness of breath felt almost like asthma attack I do have asthma, but hasn't really bothered me. I went to the dr and they put the o2 sensor on my finger and resting it was 100 and walking around the office once I was short of breath and went down to 93, I am only 26 and this has not happened before. The dr sent me for a cat scan of my lungs. I am going back tomorrow for the results. What could cause this? I still easily get short of breath and it has been almost 2 weeks now.
Thanks for any info .
I don't smoke either.
Thanks alot
I followed up with my dr yesterday. And she put the oxygen sensor on my finger while resting and it was fine at 99-100%. Then we walked about 20 ft and it dropped to 90% I got a little dizzy she had me sit and checked my pulse and it was 115.And my BP was about 13?/??, so that went up ,(It was normal when I first went into the exam room) So we went back to the exam rm. and she ordered blood work that will be done on friday one is to check anemai and other stuff. Also I am getting a 24 hr holter monitor and an echo and a stress test, because she is not sure why this happened. But since I was 15 I had quite a few episodes of blacking out anywhere. Hopefully they find out why this is happening, she also put me on a steroid and an antibiotic to see if it helps. But 2 weeks ago when I first saw a dr about this my o2 only got down to 93, I wonder what would cause this to happen in only 2 weeks time.
Thanks for reading. I guess the CAT scan showed something but nothing serious but I think I have to have another one done in a little while or so.

Last edited by claflamme; 04-03-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: forgot to add info

Closed Thread