It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

ElleDi HB User
Avoiding whole grains??

I was reading a book called Anemia in Women: Self-Help and Treatment by Joan Gomez. It said phytates--whole grains, whole grain breads, brown rice (fiber) and eggs inhibit the absorption of iron.
Huh?? Whole grain breads, brown rice and eggs are a big part of my diet. Any thoughts or opinions?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Avoiding whole grains??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDi View Post
I was reading a book called Anemia in Women: Self-Help and Treatment by Joan Gomez. It said phytates--whole grains, whole grain breads, brown rice (fiber) and eggs inhibit the absorption of iron.
Huh?? Whole grain breads, brown rice and eggs are a big part of my diet. Any thoughts or opinions?

I have heard this too. Phylates (in whole grains) block iron absorption. It always makes me wonder exactly how much of the iron I am really getting out of my Total Raisin Bran.

I mean, if this is the case, why are they putting iron on a whole grain cereal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

ElleDi HB User

I agree-- it doesn't make sense. The book suggested eating white bread and sugar instead of whole grains, which not only sounds crazy, but eating simple carbs would make me sick.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can, because after having a CBC done, my doctor neglected to mention anything about my low ferritin levels for the 6-8 weeks between appointments, yet I initially saw him due to fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, hair loss...and the only thing showing out of range was ferritin.

I'm going to start taking Floradix- have you heard of it? It says "allows for more contact with absorption sites and provides approximately 98% absorption rate" and "there is no risk of excess iron storage making Floradix safe for long-term, daily use."

Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDi View Post
I agree-- it doesn't make sense. The book suggested eating white bread and sugar instead of whole grains, which not only sounds crazy, but eating simple carbs would make me sick.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can, because after having a CBC done, my doctor neglected to mention anything about my low ferritin levels for the 6-8 weeks between appointments, yet I initially saw him due to fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, hair loss...and the only thing showing out of range was ferritin.

I'm going to start taking Floradix- have you heard of it? It says "allows for more contact with absorption sites and provides approximately 98% absorption rate" and "there is no risk of excess iron storage making Floradix safe for long-term, daily use."
Yes, I've heard of Floradix and I may start taking it myself. Currently I am using Spatone which is REALLY gentle (I get no side effects). It had corrected my anemia but my ferritin is not rising so I think I need something stronger. I was hoping that the Floradix might work.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I just found this thread and am wondering about wholegrains now. I too only use brown sugar, brown bread, brown rice as the "white" alternatives are loved by yeast in the gut and that is one thing i had for many years and never want to deal with again!!

I have read other sites on the net where they mention that red wine inhibits iron absorbtion but white wine doesn't. Also that spinach eaten with a high iron meal inhibits iron absorbtion and this shocked me as you are always told to eat your spinach as it's high in iron. Maybe that only worked for Popeye. Anyway, i found a chart of food groups you should eat together and ones you shouldn't eat. This worries me a lot b/c my levels aren't moving upwards the way i believed they would after being on a strong iron supplement and taking extra care of my food and drinks and i worry is it the food combinations i am using, do i lack enough stomach acid is it something else nobody has found yet..... Oh well, guess a lot of us are in the same boat.

Closed Thread