It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
(female)

mom2cole HB User
iron supplements

Does anyone recommend a particular iron supplement? I have noticed some talk of it causing stomache upset or problems and I most definitely dontneed that as I already have acid reflux which causes me problems and naseau. Would it be a pill form like multi vitamin? I currently started taking a Womens one a day that has 18 mg iron in it but not sure if I need more.
MY situation is that my hemoglobin is normal but my ferritin was at 19, near the low end of normal (normal is 10-232 I was told).
Thanks!
Stacey in CA

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

ElleDi HB User
Re: iron supplements

I've been taking Floradix (a liquid herbal-iron tonic) for a week and have felt much better. I don't have a problem taking supplements, but the Floradix made me feel better within 2 days.
My ferritin is a 9, and I'm also not sure how much I need to take. Maybe I'm not taking enough?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

If you want to increase your ferritin level, you likely need to take an iron supplement. My ferritin was 18, now 20 (after a month), which is still deficiency by clinical nutrition literature standards.

I am taking a liquid iron supplement (ferrous sulphate elixir) with 44 mg of elemental iron (240% RDA i think). I dont have any gastric disturbances, aside from some constipation. I mentioned on another thread, that I ended up buying Feo Gen Sol, an infant/chilrdens liquid iron supplement - and I was taking three droppersful - equiv to 45 mg iron.

You need to ask for either at the pharmacy counter as they are over-the-counter.

The pills did not sit well with me.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
(female)

MissMaestro HB User

if an iron suppliement is making you a bit yuk in the tummy eat some food first if this doesnt work change the suppliment you take. some people find liquid iron is easier on their tummy.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
(female)

stoutheart HB User

When I was anemic I took Slo-FE. It's OTC and a slow release iron pill which is supposed to be better on your stomach. I never had a problem with any side effects.

HTH

Old 05-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

mom2cole HB User

Do your Dr's suggest you take a specific mg of iron supplement? I have just continued to take the Multi Vitamin with the 18 mg with dinner and have no stomache problems from it so am not sure if need more. My ferritin was 19, the Dr never specified how much I needed. This was the GI Dr who I have only seen a couple times and now not sure if I want to call and ask about how much as cxld my colonoscopy so not sure how happy they are with me. I really didnt like the front desk attitude that well either so maybe I will get a hold ofmy regular Dr instead-she sent me to GI due to reflux and knows whats going on. ONly reason he wanted a colonoscopy was cause of the low iron but technically I am in range with the ferritin and I got my labs from Dr and found all is is normal. I have no other symptons except my reflux and gastritis problems so i rather take supplement and eat iron rich food (which have lacked lately, now I eat alot of spinach and more red meat) then reck my blood to see if still a problem.
Thanks for help
STacey

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

I also take slow-Fe. I have had no side effects either. I didn't want to start any kind of iron. First most of my doctor said that I was anemic because of my rheumatoid arthritis and there was nothing going to help it. Then my new family doctor told me to take iron and the side effect that he said was constipation and he said if that happens to come back and he would give me something for that. Taking more and more medications is not my idea of geeting healthy. But my sister has been on Slow-Fe for years and she had no problems. So I start taking it and no problems. But my RA got better at the same time so I still don't know if it is from the low iron of RA. Oh well my anemia and RA is good now so I realy don't care which it is.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

My ferretin level was a 4 and I took Ferrex 150 mg (Niferex is the brand name) for 2 months. Although, this didn't work for me because my body couldn't absorb the iron through my stomach and I had to have iron infusions anyways. I never had any stomach upset at all from this medication. My doctor told me that Ferrex is the most gentle iron supplement on your stomach and caused the least constipation. Not sure where she got her data from, but I just took her word and didn't have any problems. Good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Hi - Those of you who took the slow fe (mine is 47.5mg)-how long does it take to get some rise in your ferritin?? If you could share your experience then we could make some calculation. The reason I am trying to nail this down is that the iron supplement is having a negative effect on another med I have to take . So, I am really ready to get the slow fe done with. If I could get a 40 pt. raise in my iron I think the dr. would say that I could stop the iron . I am just taking one slow fe a day? Are you others taking more than that?

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-27-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
(female)

stoutheart HB User

osteoblast ~ I was taking 3, 160mg ferrous sulfate tablets, in the morning and 3 at night with orange juice per my ob/gyn. I was on them for over a year until they finally figured out that I had a large fibroid which was causing all my bleeding which led to the anemia. It has since been taken out and the anemia corrected.

HTH

Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

I take Slow Fe and I take one a day. I have to take Methotrexate for my rheumatoid arthritis so I have to get a blood test every 6 weeks. by the time it was time to get my blood test done my hemiglobin came back normal. I always had a normal ferrtin level. But that could have been from my RA. So it worked for me in 6 weeks or so.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Annette-Are you saying your ferritin never went down and it was just your hemoglobin? If so , in that six weeks do you recall where your hemo was and what you got it up to? thanks for any information.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
(female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

The lab that I go to normal hemiglobin is 120 or higher. When I start taking the iron it was 90. Then 6 weeks later it was 127. My ferritin level was always normal. I am a bit different because my anenia was partly caused by my rheumatiod arthritis. Doctors use to tell me that the anemia was caused by me RA and it will get better when my RA gets better. The one blood test showed that the size of my red blood cells were getting small which indicates iron deff. I just tried the iron to see what happens. Fter taking the iron for 6 weeks my hemiglobin was normal. But at the same time I started Enbrel and my RA got better too. So I still don't realy know what caused it RA or iron deff. I am going to find out though. When I see my GP in July I am going to tell him that I am going to stop taking the iron to see what happens. If my hemiglobin goes down again then I know it is due to lack of iron and if it don't then I know it is my RA. Due to other medications thatI am on I have to get a blood test every 6 weeks so if my hemiglobin falls again it will be cought pretty early.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks Annette for the info. Things can get pretty complicated with interactions. For you it's the RA for me it's hypothyroid and the medication for the hypo. It seems that the iron has affected my thyroid level , and the meds had to be increased. That's my take on it. And, I won't know for sure until the ferritin rises and I can stop the iron. From what I read on this board iron iv seems a pretty drastic and difficult step . I wonder if the dr. will end up recommending that in my case. I'll see a new dr. soon , somehow I don't think the slow fe is going to do it. I am glad you had success with the hemoglobin whatever it was that raised it.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Annette,

Did you know that if you have an inflammatory condition (such as RA) it kind of makes the ferritin test unusable? I read that before. That these types of illness will make the ferritin read higher than it actually is.

Closed Thread