It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Low ferritin, how much iron?

Hi,
I just got a ferritin test done and it showed me at 24. My doctor called me and told me to take iron supplements and eat iron rich food. She did not specify how many milligrams of iron I should take. I went out and bought this one brand at the health food store called hema-plex and it has 85 mg of Elemental iron as well as Vic C, b and other minerals.
Does 85 miligrams sound like enough or should I be taking more than this.
Im tired of my hair falling out and really want to raise my levels. Any thoughts?
thanks
Heather

Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Low ferritin, how much iron?

Heather,

That sounds like a good dose for an OTC iron pill. You can get higher--I think there is a form of ferrous sulphate that is around 325 mg OTC.

My ferritin was at a 5 and I am taking approximately 25 mg of iron per day and my ferritin seems to be going up.

While your ferritin is low, it is still in the normal range so you do want to be careful you don't take too much. I would just take what you bought and maybe have the ferritin checked at 3 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Thanks,
I will stick to what I have and see if it goes up in 3 months like you suggested so I dont get to much iron.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I purchased a liquid iron that has 40 mg of elemental iron. I tried the 325 pills, which contain, I think 65 mg elemental iron, but was unable to tolerate them, esp stomach irritation and constipation!!!

The liquid seems better for me. I usually take it with meals, since on an empty stomach it is too bothersome. It is recommended that empty stomach is best for absorption, but I can't tolerate it.

85 is pretty high for raising one's ferritin when it is not clinically in a deficiency state. I would say it is quite sufficient. Just remember, it takes time to raise ferritin.

I took the iron for a month, then rechecked my ferritin. It rose from 18 to 20!. Boy do I have a long way to get to 70.

I am doing this without dr's approval - ran into the "you are in range" a million times. So, I am a little cautious about the whole matter.

Why not just run it by your dr? and let him know what product and amount of iron you have selected.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

bittygirl HB User

yeah, I guess I will ask the doc and see what she says. I dont trust she knows what shes doing but I will see what she says.
thanks a bunch

Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Some drs advise taking iron in your condition, some don't. Most follow the guidelines that use 9 or 12 as the low end of ferritin and only treat when you are below or already showing anemia, e.g. have mildly low hemoglobin. None of my drs (5 of them) advised me to do so, when I was an 18. A hematolgist I saw said specifically not to take iron. Reading around on the web convinced me that a higher ferritin would be advantageous for me, esp as I am so fatigued and have had hair loss for years...more now since I started thyroxine. I feel confortable treating myself, but still a bit uncomfortable about how much to take, so I take a moderate amoont of iron. It is good at least you have a dr to supervise and check that your therapeutic supplementation is helping you and doing no harm.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
(female)

DoubleGiGi HB User

Hi, What is Thyroxine? Can someone explain?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Thyroxine is a thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism.
hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Thanks,
I go the the doctor in a couple of weeks so I will bring this up to him. I defiently dont want to get iron overload, thats for sure.
thanks for your advice.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
(female)

juice82 HB User

I encourage you to have your iron levels checked as you go. I have clinically high iron but very low ferritin (14 ng/mL) right now. I've never taken iron supplements in any form, and I don't yet know why this discrepancy exists in my system.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
(female)

shefab HB User

I always take Vit. C with my oral iron . I was told it helps with absorption.

Closed Thread