It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

Melaniejoy80 HB User
Iron Deficiency--Could it be more?

Hi everyone,

Im hoping that some of you can help me out. I was just recently dx with Iron Deficiency. I went in to my Dr. because I have been so tired the past 6 months or so. Here were all my lab results.

WBC 13.8 (4.5-11.0) ....HIGH....
RBC 5.30 (4-5.20) ....HIGH....
Hemoglobin 15.1 (12-16)
Hematocrit 44.9 (33-51)
MCV 85 (80-100)
MCH 28.4 (26-34)
MCHC 33.5 (32-36)
RDW 12.7 (11.5-15.5)
Plt Count 300 (140-440)
MPV 8.1 (6.5-10)
Iron 60 (40-150)
UIBC 372
IBC 432 (245-400) ....HIGH....
Iron Saturation 14 (20-55) ....LOW....
Ferritin 9 (15-150) ....LOW....

My doctor suggest that I take 325mg of Iron Twice Daily, which I started last week. I have had to skip a couple doses due to nausea, but can tolerate it most of the time.

My question for all of you is, Have you had further workups to see why you are Iron Deficient? And has anyone had an elevated WBC with a low ferritin? My doctor said it could be high due to the stress on my body with the low ferritin, since Im not sick and dont have any other infections going on. Does this seem possible???

I will be going in again in 6 weeks to have my labs checked, not sure what the plan will be from there. Should I ask for any other labs to be done? I've also asked for a referral to a gastroenterologist because I've read that some people lose blood in their GI system.

Im 27 years old and have been iron deficient in the past, but then took some iron and it seemed to "resolve" for a while. I just keep wondering what the cause of my low ferritin could be and the elevated WBC. I am on Seasonale Birth control and have been for a while, so I do not suspect that Im loosing alot of blood that way.

Thanks for any insight.
M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Iron Deficiency--Could it be more?

M--

Okay, first things first, YES it could be more it always is more.

Iron definciency is not a disease in itself. You don't get iron deficiency like you do diabetes or cancer or the flu. Iron deficiency is a symptom or result of another disease process. By that, I don't mean that you have another disease, but you have a physical process that is causing you to become deficient in iron.

Now, the good news is that you are not anemic and not even close to being anemic. So, while your ferritin is low, you are still quite robust in the production of red blood cells and getting oxygen to your body.

It's hard to say what could be causing this. I still haven't quite figured out mine. Usually, the doctors don't start doing "workups" until you become anemic. Also, you are on the young side for a GI workup, but it is certainly not unheard of to have a blood loss in that area at your age.

I ended up, surprisingly, having some bleeding in my stomach due to taking Motrin several times a month. Really, I had no clue!! So you need to think about thinks like that.

Other small, but chronic blood losses can deplete you. They could be as simple as bleeding gums when you brush your teeth, to having hemorrhoids.

Another thing you might look at, especially at your age, is malabsorption issues. Many people find out in their 20s that they have Celiac disease. This is an autoimmune response to gluten in the diet. It damages the villi in your small intestine and causes you to not absorb many nutrients. One of the first indicators of this in asymptomatic people is anemia.

You might have a poor diet and you don't know it? Just not intaking enough nutrients? Obviously, when you take supplements you respond so you *can* absorb iron to some degree. Maybe you aren't getting enough in your food.

Also, do you use antacids or medications like Prilosec or Nexium?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi susan kay here i have a question i have mitrial valve prolaspe and i am anemic my iron stays low i workm 40 hours a week at walmart as a supurviser and i stsy tired i can sleep all night and then have a nap or 2 on my days off my body feels tired in my chest area i hate to bother dr. mike i take hemocyte plus every night with my heart meds. inderal120 and verapamil 240 im just tired any body hae any andwers? thanks suan kay

Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

How anemic are you?

Also, some of the medications you take (Inderal) can make you feel lethargic and run down. I did take Verapamil for 2 days and had an allergic reaction so I can't say how that one makes you feel, but the Inderal can definitely slow you down.

Have they figured out why your iron is low?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I agree with Christine about the autoimmune possibility. My WBC is elevated although not outside the top of the range. My dr suggested that it is high due to my hypothyroid condition (hashimotos), which is an autoimmune disease. She further suggested that some in my situation may have a a food intolerance related to gluten (she said gliadin - some gluten protein) or even celiac. I have not yet done the tests for this as yet.

Many hypo people suffer from low ferritin/anemia.

There are many autoimmune diseases in addition to autoimmune thyroiditis and celiac, but at least it could be a starting point for you.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I have iron deficiency anemia due to Celiac disease that had been undiagnosed for many many years.
PCOS

Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Your lab values look great!! For a female your hemolglobin and hematocrit are really really good. Like someone said, you are not even close to being anemic and that's a good thing. Your ferriten is low but that could be due to something as simple as your monthly period, even if it is not that heavy. Because the rest of your numbers look so good I'm not surprised that your doctor isn't pursuing this any further. Right now there's not much to pursue. Even if your numbers go down a bit you're still ok because a hemoglobin of 15 is higher than most woman have.... most women who are not anemic generally hover around 13 or so. So be happy - everything looks good!

Closed Thread