It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Iron supplements and gastric problems

Sorry to be such a pain in the hoo-ha by asking so many questions. Still trying to get my head around all this.

Anyway, I've been taking 75mg of iron supplements (as ferrous succinate) for a couple of weeks now. I thought iron supplements were supposed to cause constipation, but I'm in the exact opposite situation. It's also caused me to have extremely nasty gas (even the dog leaves the room).

I picked up some "easy iron" (ferrous bisglycinate) in the hopes that it will eliminate my current gastric problems. Has anyone else tried this and what kind of results did you have?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

flowersx2 HB User
Re: Iron supplements and gastric problems

I'm taking 50 mg and started out with extreme upset stomach, then extreme constipation. Still haven't found out the best thing. I need to have an emblation (sp?) done this fall which will slow my periods. I think this should be the biggest help for me.

Just to answer this in one post...

Mine started when I stopped taking the pill a couple of years ago. I'm sure it's my periods as they are horrible. I took iron supplement years ago before I went on the pill. Now, I'm done having children, tubes are tied, and I'm off the pill. I thought it was hypothyroidism and I've been tested over and over for that but it kept coming back ok. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me but I knew something was going on. Fatigue was incredible and I had gained 30 pounds. I think from being so tired I wasn't really doing anything. Not sure if it slows down metabolism too, kind of makes sense if you are so tired. Well, I finally went to an endo for my thyroid and she was the first to run a ferritin test. Thyroid came back normal and ferritin was really low. The iron helps a little but haven't seen any tremendous results yet. I'm happy to finally know what is wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

If it helps any, i first began correcting my iron levels with over the counter iron pills which began constipating me. I then went to a liquid iron supplement which didn't give me any bad side effects, however it was very slow working. When i moved on to see a Trichologist about my hair loss and low ferretin levels he said that the liquid supplement was too low a dosage and i would never build up my iron levels fast using this. He then got me onto a high powered iron supplement in powdered form which ended up giving me IBS symptoms. He then added some 'organic' iron tablets to be taken with the powdered supplement and this settled my stomach. At the time he explained the difference between organic and nonorganic, but i can't recall everything he said. I think the organic ones allow for a normal bowel movement and don't upset the stomach.

Anyway, the stuff he gave me didn't make that much difference or perhaps it's simply my body which isn't for some reason absorbing the iron as readily as it should. Now i'm on a course of iron injections for 5 weeks and then we'll do a blood test and see where i stand.

If the tablets you are taking are causing problems, don't be afraid to speak to a chemist and get some advice, or even your doctor as there is a big difference from one type of iron supplement to the next when it comes to side effects and discomfort.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Thanks for the replies!

At this point, I miss my usual constipation (been like that for years). It's been 3 weeks now of the runs and really foul flatulence since starting the iron supplements. Sorry for being so TMI. Don't know how else to express this. No stomach cramps. That would just be an added bonus. :P

I have one more week's worth left of this iron supplement and then I'm going to be starting the "easy iron". I've heard it's easily absorbable and doesn't cause nearly the amount of side effects as other iron supplements. Will let you know how it goes.

Getting a CBC done this week. Haven't had one done since March. Since my period just started (oh joy!) I pretty much expect to break even on the test results. Also have appts with other drs on Aug 15th, so should have some answers after that.

Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

glenni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
He then added some 'organic' iron tablets to be taken with the powdered supplement and this settled my stomach. At the time he explained the difference between organic and nonorganic, but i can't recall everything he said. I think the organic ones allow for a normal bowel movement and don't upset the stomach.

If the tablets you are taking are causing problems, don't be afraid to speak to a chemist and get some advice, or even your doctor as there is a big difference from one type of iron supplement to the next when it comes to side effects and discomfort.
Do you know which brands are the gentlest/best?

Closed Thread