It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

PBREARD HB User
Thalassemia, anyone have it or understand it?

I am trying anything to find a reason for my anemia. I have had bloodwork for Von Willenbrands which was normal. I am asking for bloodwork for Thalassemia since I am of Italian heritage, yet I don't look like it. I have mentioned this to all my doctors and they do not think it could be thalassemia, but just for my curiosity I would like the test done. I have had all the GI tests done and they were all normal. I would like to know if anyone has thalassemia and what symptoms lead to that diagnosis. I just want answers as we all do. Thank you.

Phyllis

Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

Nadine90 HB User
Re: Thalassemia, anyone have it or understand it?

How long have you tested anemic? As a kid my hemoglobin was always low and my mom forced liver and iron pills down me. In my 30's I was finally diagosed with Thalassemia. I am fortunate that mine is the very mild kind Thalassmia minor meaning that I test anemic, but it probably wont cause major health problems for me. Apparently there is also Thallasemia Intermediate and Thallasemia Major. Another name of Thallasemia is Cooley's anemia.

Nadine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

grl78 HB User

I am going thru a similar problem. I was tested for Thalassemia as a teenager as i am of maltese origins. My test was inconclusive as there was an abnormality with my red blood cells and a re-test was suggested. After years of suffering anemia off and on, I am now back at the doctors wanting to get the test re-done to rule out Thalassemia. The doctors want to put the anemia down to polysistic ovarian syndrome and pump me full of iron tablets which i have problems digesting. I have read that taking iron tablets for anemia from Thalassemia minor does not often help??? I am back at the doctors next week to order the blood test.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

you guys need to know where your ferritin level is at this will tell you if you are lacking iron in your body.
i was always told as a kid by my mom not to take iron because that wasnt the problem as a adult i now know that it was part of the problem

my ferritin was a 2. i ve had 3 iron ivs and have been on iron since my blood is 11.7 up from 8.5and my ferrtin is in the 60s im sure it will not go any higher due to the thalassemia

thalassemia also tends to run in families my mom and grandfather both have it

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

one more thing there are irons that are easy on the stomach i take easy iron

Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
(female)

grl78 HB User

Thanks for the info. I will keep on looking for better iron tablets because i really do need to increase my levels and i will see what the blood test shows.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

it is also call chelated iron i have major stomach issues and this iron doesnt hurt me at all

Closed Thread