It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Smoking and CBC levels

I'm getting a CBC done to check if I'm actually anemic or not (have a ferritin of 7). Anyway, I've read that smoking can raise hemoglobin levels on a CBC. I smoke about a pack a day (yea, I know...will be quitting when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks).

Anyway, I was wondering if the raised hemoglobin levels from smoking would skew the test, showing that I'm not anemic when in reality I am? Is this something to worry about? Am I putting far too much thought into this or is it a valid concern?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Smoking and CBC levels

I don't know if this is true or not--about the smoking and elevated hemoglobin levels. If it is a fact, your doctor is probably aware of it. But if it does skew the results, I'm afraid that you're not going to get a good answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I have read that you get iron from tobacco if you smoke. I couldn't believe it. I guess that 's what your saying regarding a raised HGB. If that is the case then you wouldn't get an accurate count. Perhaps your doctor would be informed about this. When it comes to the subject of iron, I have found that many doctors are not as up to date as one would assume. Even when it comes to different kinds of iron supplements. I hope others have a better experience than I have had. Let us know what you find out. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

I would think that if smoking affects your CBC and hemoglobin, it would also affect your ferriten test as well. After all, they are both testing your iron levels. Who knows... I've never heard of smoking increasing iron levels, but then again there are so many things out there that can skew labwork that it is possible that smoking can change things. One thing that can really mess with a CBC is hydration... if you're really dehydrated or too hydrated it can change things around. Food that you've recently eaten can also change things around. The amount of time the lab tech has the tournaquite (sp?) thing on can also skew numbers as well. However, the tournaquite would have to be on for a LONG time to affect things in a major way. Also, how the tubes of blood are handled can aslo affect the values. There are just SO many variables that can change things I wouldn't worry about it. Just about everyone who has had a CBC done has had their results skewed a bit due to external factors.

If smoking skewed lab values that much then most likely doctors would factor that into things. I'm not saying that doctors are all up on this stuff, they definitely are not, but if the values were off by a HUGE amount due to smoking then the medical community would take it into consideration. For right now it sounds like it might skew results by a bit but not enough to cause alarm or anything...... otherwise they might start asking people to not smoke the night before their labs are done, just like they do with fasting lab tests.... I wouldn't worry about it too much at all.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I have never heard a thing about smoking effecting lab values...

BUT.......

I am now quit 7 months and am now testing anemic the last two draws and before I was not.

Smoking effects so much it is really scary.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I'd forgotten I'd posted this thread. Of course, if I didn't have the same thing for breakfast every morning, I'd forget what I had yesterday too. LOL!

timetoreclaim - interesting results!

I've read on a couple of sites that smoking can raise the RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit levels. I'm due for more bloodtests later this month and will "try" to go without ciggies for at least 24 hours prior to the testing. *sigh* No, still haven't quit. Yeah, I know. *hanging head* Since most of my values have been at low normal range on the CBC, it should be interesting to see what they're like without the cigs.

Closed Thread