It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

Welshbird HB User
I've been offered Iron Injections

I am not anaemic, just have a low ferritin level of 4.5.

I have read that the injections have to be admistered correctly otherwise there can be bad side affects? What side affects are there?

I am worried now! Do they hurt? Do they make you sick? (big phobia of vomiting !)

Please post me your experiences and advice.

Elaine x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: I've been offered Iron Injections

Most people find iron shots to be a bit uncomfortable due to the iron going into the system suddenly. But, others do not. If you have had tattoos or arterial blood work done, you may be able to compare the feelings. However, every one reacts differently to injections so some feel uncomfortable and some do not. IV iron infusions can cause heart palpatations (rapid heart beat or a beat that feels too hard). Some run a slight fever for a while. Iron shots are uncomfortable but I personally have not heard of any allergic reactions.

Last edited by Merimac; 08-11-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I didn't receive iron injection but I had iron infusion at March 2007. My heart didn't react much.... It seems sleep well in my chest! I got the fuzzy vision and headache. It sounds like a migraine headache. They stopped immediately, after about 15 minutes they ran again and it went fine. Until nearly end, I felt SOB and I just went into the corner and breath.... I don't want them to terminate because it's just a little bit left. I hope it goes well with you. Take care.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

jmw63 HB Userjmw63 HB User

I have not had iron injections but have had iron infusions where they ran the IV over 2-3 hours. They did a test dose first then I had a total of 24 infusions given twice a week for 12 weeks. I had no bad side effects but it made me feel better than I had felt in a couple of years. It was wonderful! I have been told that when they do iron injections, they use a special technique....something about rolling the skin while injecting. The iron is definitely worth trying. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

italiungrl HB User
Cool Re: I've been offered Iron Injections

I have had iron infusions back in Febuary 4 treatments, and now I am having to have them again. Once a week for 5 weeks to bring up my ferriton level I go in they out an IV in my arm and 1 hour later out the door, I have no side effects except for a slight stomach ache for a few days. Well worth the energy I get.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Iron injections and iron infusions are two totally different things so you shouldn't get the two confused.

From what i have read on here, people who got the infusions where there for about 2hrs getting it done.

Iron injections are done easy within 30 seconds. I've been having a course of these over the last 5weeks, one per week. My last one is tomorrow, then i wait 3 or 4 weeks for a blood test to see where my levels are up to.

The injections have not caused any side effects for me. The only pain was a couple of times when the dr administered the injection and the only after effect was feeling as though the muscle in my upper thigh was a bit stiff, but you are supposed to walk around afterwards anyway and this feeling subsides. After my very first injection i went into a faint, but that was b/c i had missed my lunch, was sick with the flu, had waited in line at the surgery for an hour & a half for my turn and i got up of the table/bed thingy too fast. Now each time i lay there for a few minutes just incase. I have been able to go to work and do all my normal activities without any dramas.

My dr printed out all the info and gave it to me beforehand so that i would be familiar with the product and the procedure.

With your ferretin level i would say you are very lucky to be offered injections as most dr's send their patients off to use those over the counter iron supplements which are extremely slow in working. Your dr should have checked your haemoglobin and your b12 levels also b/c if you are low in that area they can't give you the injections, but i'm sure you dr would have evaluated you from your blood test results to see whether you are a candidate for injections.

I only began feeling more energetic and less sleepy after my 4th injection. My dr was surprised as he said a lot of his other patients have felt great after the very first injection, but then i spoke to someone at work who had injections a couple of years ago and he said his only kicked in after the 5th injection. I guess everybody is an dividual, but you would kill a lot of time by getting the injections rather than spending close to a year (or more) if you are lucky in getting your levels right up. A lot of people on these boards have been battling for months and months or even over a year to get their levels up. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Closed Thread