It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
B-12 Sublingual?? how much? please help!

hi everyone! i was reading the old posts about b-12 deficiency, as i have been having the same sympotms for the past 2 months straight. finally, a neurologist ordered a test, and it was on the low side-from what my research has shown. the nurse kinda blew it off and said, no, you are still in the normal range-just lower. i didn't get to speak to the dr. anyway, i picked up a 500mcg sublingual tablets today, because i am going by my own research, especially since i didn't get to speak to the dr.

my question is...how many per day should i take, and how many times per week? that is one thing that i haven't found...please help, anyone i want to try to improve this horrible condition soon!

also had an MRI and having an EEG tomorrow to make sure, but my levels are still low of the b-12 and i think that may be a culprit???

Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

steph4477 HB User
Re: B-12 Sublingual?? how much? please help!

Most sublingual b-12 tablets are 1000mcg and we recommend that patients take them daily. The b-12 levels on standard laboratory blood panels is just to keep you in a semi-healthy range. We find that b-12 levels should be much, much higher than the ranges show. You can safely take 2 of your sublinguals daily for months until your levels are in the high normal or even double the recommended range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

thank you so much for the reply. i am having some seriously weird neurological problems with weird vision with dizziness, balance issues/clumsiness, anxiety, extreme fatigue, cold feet that are bright red sometimes, ringing in my ears, headaches, fullness/groggy feeling in my head, spasms in legs and on body, tingling in fingers, heart palps, paleness... they couldn't really pinpoint it as a inner ear problem, as that is what one dr thought, but then the next dr said central nervous problem of some sorts--which led me to the neuro. my grandmother has to get shots every now and then, and it used to be really low when she was younger.

do you know, if this is the actual problem, how long until the body can start to repair itself or improve??

thank you again

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-15-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

fivelipps HB User

I am by no means an expert but I have been told that B-12 is something you can't overdose on. Apparently, the body absorbs what it can and any excess is excretes (through your urinary system). Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

The Probiotic that I take says it is good for maximum absorption of B-vit's. Maybe this would be good to take for your situation?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
(female)

tracygirl HB User

Hi Alexi. Last year I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you. After seeing a neurologist and having an EEG - nothing was found but symptoms never disappeared (seemed to get worse). My B-12 level was finally checked and same as you was at the very low end of normal. My level was 240 pg/ml. I started taking the B-12 strips on the tongue (methylcobalamin) 1000 mcg per day. Exactly one year to the day I had my B-12 level checked again and it is now 818 pg/ml! I should also mention that I stopped taking the B-12 for about 2 weeks or so before my test so that I could get an accurate reading. I was told if you are tested while taking it, it will not give you an accurate reading of actual levels you are storing. I have continued to take 1000 mcg a day because as Fivelipps said you cannot overdose on B-12, whatever your body doesn't need it will get rid of. I should also mention that from the time I began taking the B-12 it probably took at least 3-4 months before I actually started to feel better and the symptoms subsided. I'm not sure if you are aware but if you are deficient in B-12 the tablets are really not that much help to you because you body will have to first turn it into the form it can absorb (sorry for the lack of medical terms, lol) so be sure to use the strips that dissolve in your mouth directly into your blood stream. Good luck to you!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracygirl View Post
Hi Alexi. Last year I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you. After seeing a neurologist and having an EEG - nothing was found but symptoms never disappeared (seemed to get worse). My B-12 level was finally checked and same as you was at the very low end of normal. My level was 240 pg/ml. I started taking the B-12 strips on the tongue (methylcobalamin) 1000 mcg per day. Exactly one year to the day I had my B-12 level checked again and it is now 818 pg/ml! I should also mention that I stopped taking the B-12 for about 2 weeks or so before my test so that I could get an accurate reading. I was told if you are tested while taking it, it will not give you an accurate reading of actual levels you are storing. I have continued to take 1000 mcg a day because as Fivelipps said you cannot overdose on B-12, whatever your body doesn't need it will get rid of. I should also mention that from the time I began taking the B-12 it probably took at least 3-4 months before I actually started to feel better and the symptoms subsided. I'm not sure if you are aware but if you are deficient in B-12 the tablets are really not that much help to you because you body will have to first turn it into the form it can absorb (sorry for the lack of medical terms, lol) so be sure to use the strips that dissolve in your mouth directly into your blood stream. Good luck to you!

hi tracy! thank you so much for the info and sharing! i just bought the twinlabs b-12 sublingual "dots"....i dind't know there were strips, and i didn't see any at the place i bought mine. do you happen to know the brand or where to get the strips??? please let me know, this is driving me insane! did you ever get shots?
glad to know you are better, sucks it took that long though! you all better now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs View Post
The Probiotic that I take says it is good for maximum absorption of B-vit's. Maybe this would be good to take for your situation?
haven't heard of a probiotic, except maybe the activia stuff? what is it? are they capsules or where do you get them?

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
(female)

tracygirl HB User

Hi Alexi. I live in Ontario Canada and they are very easy to find over here. It sounds like they may be more hard to come by over in the U.S.A. I've heard that health food stores carry them or you may have to get them on-line. Unfortunately the rules of this message board will not allow me to share the brand name and what store I buy mine at. If I were you I would go on-line and *##*%@ methylcobalamin and hopefully you can be pointed in the right direction. I really wish I could just come out and tell you! Sorry
To answer your other question...........I have never taken the shots. I just thought I'd try the methylcobalamin and it worked wonders for me. My sister got shots because of low B-12 which brought her numbers into the normal range - she was not aware of methylcobalamin either.
Just out of curiosity (a few questions) what was your B-12 level when you were tested and how old are you? I am 32. At first I thought this was a bit young to be experiencing low B-12 but the more I read and listen to other people it seems there are plently of others out there too. Good luck, hope to hear back from you!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Hi Alexi. I live in Ontario Canada and they are very easy to find over here. It sounds like they may be more hard to come by over in the U.S.A. I've heard that health food stores carry them or you may have to get them on-line. Unfortunately the rules of this message board will not allow me to share the brand name and what store I buy mine at. If I were you I would go on-line and *##*%@ methylcobalamin and hopefully you can be pointed in the right direction. I really wish I could just come out and tell you! Sorry
To answer your other question...........I have never taken the shots. I just thought I'd try the methylcobalamin and it worked wonders for me. My sister got shots because of low B-12 which brought her numbers into the normal range - she was not aware of methylcobalamin either.
Just out of curiosity (a few questions) what was your B-12 level when you were tested and how old are you? I am 32. At first I thought this was a bit young to be experiencing low B-12 but the more I read and listen to other people it seems there are plently of others out there too. Good luck, hope to hear back from you!

Hi Tracygirl and thank you so very much for the reply again! i called around yesterday and nowhere had the strips, but some places had drops too, which i hear are pretty good. i also see there is an oral spray, it's just harder to track these down here i guess i have an appointment to get a shot monday now, and i will check with the dr about the methyl kind, the dots i have are the cyano kind. i am 26 and my b-12 level was 285, which from my research is still on the low end and in some dr's thoughts-under normal.

did you ever think it had anything to do with inner ear? that was my first thought and have been to an ENT, who referred me to a neurologist. he also thinks it may have to do with migraine or something, and gave me a prescription for neurontin.....i just dont' think it's all to do with that...i've never really had a "migraine". it's weird how my ears feel full and they said no ear infection though. after reading other's stories, i definitely want to give this a try...i feel like i'm going crazy feeling this way. the dizziness/weird vision problem is the worst!!!! i feel like i have a head cold or something every day-it's awful! not to mention the fatigue and all the other crappy symptoms. did you have weird shaky/wavy vision at all?

did you start feeling better progressively? did you notice at least a slight improvement over a short period of time, or was it mostly just after 3 months of insanity??

thank you again for replying!! i am so tired of all this!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
(female)

tracygirl HB User

Hello again. My symptoms were numerous.
- heart palpitations
- shortness of breath
- ears popping
- fuzzy/full feeling head
- blurred vision (doesn't sound as extreme as yours though)
- feeling like I was going crazy! literally! (my doctor originally thought it was just anxiety/panic attacks
- feeling like I couldn't swallow
- fatigue
- (this sounds crazy - but) feeling like the right side of my body didn't want to work - although it did I just felt like I had to think about it

I really was starting to think I might be going crazy...lol. It was the absolute worse! Believe me I understand when you say you're sick of it all!
I really didn't start feeling much better for about 3 months, maybe a slight improvement - I guess it takes that long to really get into your system (?) Hopefully it is faster for you!
Did you have any other abnormal results when you had your cbc done? The only thing with mine was an every so slight high MCH. My wbc & differential were good though - I've just heard that a B-12 deficiency could cause low/ lower normal wbc results (maybe it was neutrophil count - can't remember).
It's great talking to someone who can relate!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Hello again. My symptoms were numerous.
- heart palpitations
- shortness of breath
- ears popping
- fuzzy/full feeling head
- blurred vision (doesn't sound as extreme as yours though)
- feeling like I was going crazy! literally! (my doctor originally thought it was just anxiety/panic attacks
- feeling like I couldn't swallow
- fatigue
- (this sounds crazy - but) feeling like the right side of my body didn't want to work - although it did I just felt like I had to think about it

I really was starting to think I might be going crazy...lol. It was the absolute worse! Believe me I understand when you say you're sick of it all!
I really didn't start feeling much better for about 3 months, maybe a slight improvement - I guess it takes that long to really get into your system (?) Hopefully it is faster for you!
Did you have any other abnormal results when you had your cbc done? The only thing with mine was an every so slight high MCH. My wbc & differential were good though - I've just heard that a B-12 deficiency could cause low/ lower normal wbc results (maybe it was neutrophil count - can't remember).
It's great talking to someone who can relate!

thanks again, it is good to have someone to relate to! hopefully this will do the trick. i didn't get my MRI results back today as i wanted, i have to wait til monday or tuesday...ugghh. i'm not sure what the cbc and the last part you were mentioning. they didn't really tell me much other than my b-12 level. i don't think they tested for anything other than that at the neurologist's. please let me know what those are?? maybe it has something else to do with what's wrong with me?

thanks, hope ya have a good weekend

Closed Thread