It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

laura alameda HB User
Is your immune system compromised when you're anemic?

I hate to always complain. It seems thats all I do any more. I am so self consumed. Anyway, I have been battling anemia for 5 months now. Numbers go up and numbers go down. Now my boys ages 12 and 10 come down with colds and they recovered in 2 days. I have been sick with a low fever 99 to 100 for four days. I went to the doctor and asked him what he thought, but he gave me the answer I was expecting, "It takes 7 days to a week to get over a cold" I am praying that I get better in a couple of days. He didn't really answer my question about a weekend immune system. So, has anyone else had a similar experience? I am very eager to get well.

And thank you, to everyone who posts here. It is all so comforting and helpful.

Laura

Old 09-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Is your immune system compromised when you're anemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura alameda View Post
I hate to always complain. It seems thats all I do any more. I am so self consumed. Anyway, I have been battling anemia for 5 months now. Numbers go up and numbers go down. Now my boys ages 12 and 10 come down with colds and they recovered in 2 days. I have been sick with a low fever 99 to 100 for four days. I went to the doctor and asked him what he thought, but he gave me the answer I was expecting, "It takes 7 days to a week to get over a cold" I am praying that I get better in a couple of days. He didn't really answer my question about a weekend immune system. So, has anyone else had a similar experience? I am very eager to get well.

And thank you, to everyone who posts here. It is all so comforting and helpful.

Laura
I have heard that you are more prone to coming down with infections while anemic.

I have not found that to be the case with myself though.

Last year, when I was truly anemic I did not get sick at all through the whole winter even when everyone around me (kids included) were sick.

This year, when my kids went back to school, they both caught a cold and now I have it. Picked it up real easy (no anemia now though). And it's true, that some forms of a cold can last for up to 3 weeks. My kids seem to get over them quickly though now that my oldest is 16, she seems to be getting the more "adult" form of the cold where it drags on forever.

Remember, your kids have a fairly stress free life and someone to fuss over them when they catch a cold or get sick. Most of us adults have to keep on going and I think it really can drag things out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

laura alameda HB User

Thank you for the reply. You are right about kids having stress free lives (almost that is) school is over and they are at the park. I am doing laundry and starting dinner, in addition to cleaning the house so that my husband can relax over the weekend. I should just be patient and rest whenever I get the chance. Thank you again for answering so quickly. I think I was having one of those mood swings where I am tiered, angry, resentful, sad .... well the list goes on. Thank God these mood swings don't last long. With just a few kind words it all just goes away...... like that and now I am over it. Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Laura,

Glad I could help. I guess I also meant to say that depending on how bad your anemia is and how long it has been going on--it does impair your immune system. If you start seeing yourself catching EVERYTHING one after another, then I would start worrying. Even really healthy people get sick. Whatever this cold is going around here--everyone around me has gotten it.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

laura--I was anemic but didn't know it, and working in a medical facility, lots of people I was sick 3 times in 9 months. That should have told me something, I just thought that it was me. I also worked with small children prior to this for many years. Always caught the bugs going around. They say that you are supposed to build immunity, I never did. I think that I was always nearly anemic with a lowered immune system. My doctor just says that it's me, so who knows? Interesting though, when I do get sick I want to EAT everything! The doctor says this isn't normal. That makes me think that it was anemia. Now I will see the next time I get sick if this changes any, now that I am no longer anemic. Good luck to you! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I am JUST getting over a cold that I caught 2 weeks ago! My hubby and kids had the same cold and were over it in less than a week! I had fever, chills, runny nose, sore throat, joint pain, major headache....the list goes on, while they had runny noses and coughs! I still have a cough and scratchy throat today. The first thing I did when I went to see my dr. was ask when flu shots are (not till Nov. unfortunately) and he told me I would benefit from having one as I seem to catch EVERYTHING that goes around.
Hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread