It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Post Colonoscopy-Weird Feeling

It's now about 48 hours since colonoscopy. I'm ok physically- no bad after effects. Yet, I do not feel very good. I am exhausted and feeling flat, dull,grumpy.Out of it pretty well sums it up. Could it just be the procedure prep with its liquid diet and purging have just plain out depleted me ? I wonder if the osmo prep, or the sedation-fentanyl and versed are leaving me whacked out. I am trying to eat well. Oatmeal, good homemade veggie soup for lunch and probably more of the soup for dinner with a potato. Plenty of water , some juice, some ginger ale. Maybe it will just be a few days. It doesn't seem to be something to call the doctor about. I just wondered if anyone else felt so out of it 48 hours later??
Any suggestions ?
Yesterday I took a nice long walk and I will be heading out soon to do the same. I am thinking some fresh air and movement could work some of this out of my system if it is after effects of the drugs that is getting to me.
Oh and not to be too graphic, but I went this morning and all was ok not exactly as usual but pretty close to it.

As I had said before, after the procedure, I could walk ok but was like in a zombie state. I have no idea how I got dressed, whether I dressed myself or the nurse dressed me. The nurse told me before the procedure that afterwards, she would ask me to sit up on the side of the bed/gurney and that she would give me something to drink and take my bp. I have no recollection of any of that happening. I recall before the procedure , then I am seeing dh and we are walking out. Yesterday I said probably we should have sat for awhile, so I could have gotten it more together. He said we did sit for awhile. Again , no recollection. These are some serious mind altering drugs that they give you! When I had my endoscopy a few months ago, I just came to very clearly and could process information . It was a different doctor, I am going to need to find out what the difference in meds was because this is not a good feeling at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

Tifferzz HB User
Re: Post Colonoscopy-Weird Feeling

Hey osteoblast! I cannot help you on the colonoscopy itself, I have never had one done. BUT .... I had a discogram done on my lower spine 2 years ago ... I had to be awake for the procedure ... but "out of it". They gave me the Versed. I will tell you ..... that stuff did the SAME thing to me!! I was totally out of it. I remember before the procedure, but I do not remember anything from the time they gave me the Versed and until I was pretty much home (it was almost a 3 hour drive home). My hubby said I was doing and saying all kinds if weird things after the procedure. He said he was laughing at me and so were the nurses LOL. I still ...... till this day ... do not remember the procedure and don't remember after the procedure until I was home. That stuff definitely makes you feel WEIRD!! I know I did come home and I slept most of the day. I just don't remember if I felt funny the day afterwards or not. If my brain worked like it used to ... I could probably remember LOL. I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Hi Osteo--

I would chalk this up to the drugs!

The Versed is actually a fairly mild benzodiazapine (like Xanax) and it is given to cause amnesia and relaxation (and it does a good job). Fentanyl is a very strong narcotic. I'm actually surprised that they used this drug on you as I didn't think it was common for these procedures. But each doc/hospital uses it's own protocol. The hospital I was supposed to go to (but I didn't because of the snowstorm) used Propofol and Versed. Propofol is a quick acting anesthetic that takes you down and brings you out real fast. My parents and husband both used that and they were totally normal within a few hours of the procedure. When I got sent to another hospital and they didn't have a true anesthesiest (my doc administered the drugs), I got Versed and the dreaded Demerol. The Demerol did me in--they gave me so much. I had my colonoscopy on Thursday and was in bed through most of the weekend. I do remember having to go out on the following Saturday, I was just so dizzy. Blech. I swear, it was a week before I felt better!

So, my bet is on the drugs causing this. Since you were so out of it, they may have given you a lot.

As for the bathroom issues, my "stuff" wasn't really normal for about a week and I am told by my veteran colonoscopy co-worker that this is pretty standard.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Osteoblast - Sorry you're not feeling back to your self yet. Yeah, those drugs can do a number on you. My "stuff" wasn't normal for about a week either.

Try putting a little more salt to your diet and see if it makes a difference in your alertness level. Maybe drink a glass of water with 1/4tsp of salt in it a couple of times a day. I highly recommend using sea salt over table salt. This usually helps me. It'll also help to flush any residual anesthesia out of your system.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

kat62 HB User

I had a colonoscopy almost a week ago and my problem is my bowels have not been right since I had it. I am terribly constipated. Has anyone ever had that?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks all for comments on the totally spaced out feeling. So now it is 4 days and for most of this period I have had a headache as well as a sort of hangover feeling. The fentanyl I have had before and didn't have this effect, but then it was an endoscopy and I didn't have the dreaded colonoscopy prep. I am wondering if the emptiness of my gut and all the purging exaggerated the effect of the fentanyl or I was given too much or the versed is the culprit. I am going to try to get information to my new gastro. regarding what sedation I had with the endoscopy so he could compare and try to determine why this hit me like a ton of bricks. When I have another colonoscopy, I don't want this mind numbing , brain dead feeling again. Also my dreams have been really bizarre for the last few nights following the procedure. Surely this is going to end soon.
Nyxie- I have never heard that about salt as a detox for the anesthesia. Can you explain this? Did your doc recommend this ? I have been drinking tons of water and coupled this with alot of outdoor walking. You would think the docs would tell us how to get this cleared out of our system.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Kat- are you drinking alot of water? Also I am trying to get a decent amount of fiber everyday , with a bowl of oatmeal each morning with some yogurt. Somehow I feel I am back to normal on that score, it is just the brain that won't get back into gear after the sedation. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Osteo - the thought behind the sea salt water was that not only does it help to flush toxins out of the system, but it also helps support the adrenals, which were probably stressed during the procedure. If you have weakened adrenals, then its no wonder you're having a difficult time recovering. Also can't remember if we'd discussed adrenals before.

Taking sea salt alone may cause water rention in some people, but taking it in water won't. I forgot to add earlier that taking vit C as well will help too. I drink sea salt water every day to help eliminate the toxins released from my system by the iodine protocol I'm currently on (iodine detoxes halides from the body). I have links somewhere on how this all works, but not sure I can post them here. Will paraphrase when my mind is a little more "with it" later today.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Nyxie-very interesting. I had thought the salt water would cause water retention thus toxic retention. I have been wanting to take my regular supplements but the multi contains vit e and not supposed to have that until 7 days past the procedure because biopsies taken and he doesn't want bleeding. But the vit c I can do. Do you think drinking tons of water is going to help??I feel somewhat better today and this is 5 days after. Also no weird , heightenedly bizarre dreams last night. So the drugs are coming out slowly. I am also on synthroid because I am hypo with hashimoto's and I have heard synthroid stays in your body for 6 days-not sure if that is correct but it does seem that some drugs can linger. The idea about the adrenals is interesting. My stress levels this past year have been terrible. I am working on all this by diet , exercise, meditation, tai chi etc. But then the next doctor appt/procedure comes up and sets me back. My pcp has said nothing about adrenals and I have expressed the stress I am under and working with.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Osteoblast--The half life of Versed is about 3 hours, which means half of it was out of your system in 3 hours. Another half was out in another 3 hours, and so on.

For Fentanyl, the half life is about 7 hours.

For Synthroid, yep, the half life is roughly 7 days. Which is why you can miss a dose here and there and it is very forgiving and you won't feel anything.

I doubt that the Versed and Fentanyl are still in your system after this long; however, that doesn't mean that they didn't cause some lingering side effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineVA For This Useful Post:
postoscopy (04-09-2011)
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine-great information. Could you tell me where you find half life info on drugs? I feel better already with the information you provided, but I have had this hangover headache since the day after the procedure. It is lightening now. Also, the two days after I was zombied, just dulled out and slowly coming back. So with the half life info I can't quite understand this.
When I did a search on osmoprep on the net, I found a section saying people who should not take at one of the major drug info sites and it included people with underactive thyroid. What do you think of that? It said those with the listed conditions should not take osmoprep or their doc should change the dosing.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Christine-great information. Could you tell me where you find half life info on drugs? I feel better already with the information you provided, but I have had this hangover headache since the day after the procedure. It is lightening now. Also, the two days after I was zombied, just dulled out and slowly coming back. So with the half life info I can't quite understand this.
When I did a search on osmoprep on the net, I found a section saying people who should not take at one of the major drug info sites and it included people with underactive thyroid. What do you think of that? It said those with the listed conditions should not take osmoprep or their doc should change the dosing.

If you go to any of the prescribing information for any drug, the pharmokinetics section will give you the half-life of the drug. Synthroid's is VERY long which is why it takes so darn long to feel better when you start taking it. It takes WEEKS to get your levels up where you need to be because of the half-life.

As for the OsmoPrep and hypothyroid--ANY drug should be given in decreased doses or careful monitoring to a person who has untreated hypothyroidism. When you are hypo, all of your kidney and liver functions are slowed down thus causing drugs to clear out of your system slower. OsmoPrep, as well as all the other colon preparations, are processed and excreted by the kidneys. If you kidney function is impaired for any reason (and severe hypothyroidism will do it), you need to be careful.

I know that when I was VERY hypo before (a TSH of 148) I had blood work done and both my liver and kidney functions were greatly reduced. However, when I've been mildly hypo (TSH of 8), they were still functioning rather normally.

Now, I don't know how accurate this is, but I have read that most of colon preps are not really "absorbed" into the body. The way they work is to NOT be absorbed which causes the "cleaning out" to occur. Again, I think they are there for a very short time.

One other thing I can tell you--I wasn't right for awhile after my colonoscopy. Mostly because I stressed myself SOO bad over it, had a snowstorm occur, almost got it cancelled, and was terrified out of my mind about it. I swear it was a week or more before I was normal. I attribute a lot of that to just being so wigged out. Do you think anxiety could be causing some of the post-colonoscopy dragging? Stress affects me horribly.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineVA For This Useful Post:
postoscopy (04-09-2011)
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine-
First about osmoprep and underactive thyroid warning . I have been treated now for about a year, so my tsh at time of osmoprep was likely around 1.5 or so. From what you say it seems that you think they are just referring to untreated underactive thyroid and not to those who are treated with good tsh level?? In my wanderings I saw that osmoprep is same as fleet's phospho soda but just different format, did you know that?If that is so it is odd that people have cramping with fleet's but not the osmoprep?
As far as anxiety goes-undoubtedly that was so. I was stressed out for several days before and the whole prep physically exhausted me and was sort of scary. Because I was the docs first patient in the morning and had to deal with heavy rush hour traffic on the interstate,the prep schedule was ridiculous. The day before I had to start at 1:00 in the afternoon and the morning dose I had to start at 1:00 in the morning. So besides food fasting, constant going to the bathroom, little in the way of nutrients, I had practically no sleep. Then add in some fear on top of fear, I had just learned a few days before that one of my brothers had a stage 6 polyp removed. I was not doing so well. But, after the procedure, because not really any thing bad/serious found, my anxiety level was ok. I am very sensitive to drugs, alcohol, sugar, so I am thinking as I was in the total depletion zone, the drugs did a huge number on me. I am small-112 pounds so maybe I was dosed too high.
I feel a ton better this afternoon.Yet lingering buzzing headache. As I said I am going to try to get the doc who did the endoscopy to forward the sedation info to the gastro who did the colonoscopy so he can compare and see how to avoid this big reaction next time. I had no weird after effects with the endoscopy and he told me he used fentanyl. I'll let you know for future reference what was different this second time other than the awful prep.
Thanks again for all your help in the prep stage. It really is so impt. that people get this done and your support helped me to move forward. It was reported on the news today that cancer deaths are down and it is thought that the early detection of colorectal cancer is a big reason.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, I knew the OsmoPrep was the same compound as the Fleets. The reason that people don't have problems with it is that it is not so concentrated as the fleets. Just imagine that with the Fleets you get two really small vials of stuff. One to take at night and then one to take 8 hours later. The Fleets is so concentrated it can make people sick.

I also think that with your TSH of 1.5, you would be considered to be treated. The drug warnings are for untreated hypothyroidism.

The prep could definitely have made you feel bad for so long. I get angry at the world because they predominantly test this stuff on 180 lb, 6 ft tall men. I think we women are often overdosed.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine-Yes, the problem with the standard dosing on the osmoprep(and other drugs for that matter) seems so obvious. When I called the docs office about altering the time to take from the written instructions because of time I had to leave the house, the nurse was helpful with that . But, when I asked her about my weight and the dosage, because conceivably the dose was ok for 180 pound men, she said your weight doesn't really make any difference.
Now, that makes no sense to me at all.
The day before when I started at 1:00 in the afternoon, I started going at 1:50 and didn't finish until 10:30. Although the last 3 were 1 hour apart and the 4th was two hours later. I went a total of 20 times. In the morning , starting at 1:00am I started going at 1:58 and went 17 times until 4:47.So, for a total of 37 times. Unbelievable. I doubt others counted but does this sound about like what you went through? On my first dosing the day before , I drank double the dose of water because I couldn't get the 4 pills down without 2 cups. I thought maybe that was why I went so much. In the morning, I strictly followed the 8oz. directions and could barely get the pills down. I really tasted one of the pills and that got the gag reflex going and turned my stomach. In the morning the last 5-6 times it was bright -neon yellow??
Hope this isn't too detailed. I agree with most everyone else though , the prep is the worst part and the procedure is nothing because you are drugged.

Closed Thread