It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

asoldiersgirl1 HB User
how long will it take to feel better from anemia

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: how long will it take to feel better from anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoldiersgirl1 View Post
It's different for everyone, people are anemic for many different reasons. You need to fix the problem of WHY you are anemic first. Anemia is a SYMPTOM of something else (i.e., bloodloss/periods/GI problems) going on in your body, it is not a dis~ease. My doctor said it's like a bucket that has a hole in it, it won't fill up.

If you have fixed the problem or if it is a simple (rare) diet related issue, it should resolve in a couple of months of high iron supplements. It takes a while to build new blood cells.

For me, I resolved my anemia in 3 months from being DX'ed, but had to stop supplements because I was very ill from the iron. I went from 8.5 to 12.9. When I resumed iron therapy once again, it took me 2 more months to get from 10.9 to 12.9. All together with the back tracking it was a total of 8 months I was ill. I'm still working on the Ferritin (iron storage) that is now somewhere around 20. This can take up to a year to fill.

Have you had your Ferritin checked as well? Feel better! FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

asoldiersgirl1 HB User

thank you so much...I have not had a ferrin test but will ask..thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
(female)

asoldiersgirl1 HB User

I was also wondering if anyone had dizziness with their anemia? I find it is worse when I am hungry. I would ask my doctor but I can not get in for another two weeks.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

It varies from person to person. I was excessively tired at a ferretin of 8 and had to lay down after eating breakfast as i had no energy to even change clothes, but not as tired in my teen's and 20's but still did feel tired and unmotivated. It took my levels a bit over a year to get from 8 to 29 and then they began dropping again.

After what i have found out about my situation i wouldn't solely focus on the ferretin levels and wouldn't solely blame the ferretin on tiredness. I ended up finding out the my thyroid had been thrown out of balance by very low iron levels as well as VERY low idodine and vitamin D and my zinc needs a bit of a lift too. It's sort of like a domino effect where one thing affects another. You can suffer tiredness from low iron, low vitamin D and an unhealthy thyroid.

If your iron is taking forever to build up you should find out why and whether it's due to a diet, medical or non absorbtion of vitamins/minerals related issue.

Closed Thread