It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

DeeM40 HB User
Newbie Here - Anemic looking for advice

Hello,
I am so happy I stumbled across this board! I recently went to see a hematologist regarding my blood levels. I truly feel I am losing it. I have such low energy it is RIDICULOUS. I have 3 kids, and even after seeing the hematologist, she made it seem like having 3 kids is the reason for feeling so run down. Can anyone help me at all with ways to get more energy before my iron stores are run up again?

My hemoglobin was at 8.7 and now up to 9.5. My ferritin is less than 1, and iron saturation at 5. The hematologist said to take 325 mg of iron 3X per day. . I want to know when I will feel better. I cannot live like this. I feel so tired I want to cry. That is what I told her, "that I wanted to cry." because you know how you feel you dont have the energy to move or even think and you have three children who NEED you. ?? You HAVE to get up and do things and I also work part time in the evenings and am just about losing it.

I was reading Judy's post and I am similar in that I have been taking fluxeonie or whatever it is for PMDD for about 1.5 years now and take it at night so it doesnt make me tired. But that is NOTHING compared to the tiredness I feel now.

I have opted not to do colonoscopy and endoscopy, that the gastro and my primary wanted to do. luckily, the hematologist agrees with me because of my age and i am a woman, and she says it is classic iron deficient anemia due to heavy periods and having children. I was on iron while pregnant and a prenatal vitamin, and my hemoglobin was 12 two years ago, even after having my kids. But, I do have heavy periods I guess, not loner than 5 days, but the first 2-3 days are heavy. I also have a history of fibroids and endometriosis. We had to do IVF to get pregnant. But I do not have any fibriods now, we did an ultrasound and abdominal ct scan and everything looked good. just one small cyst in ovary.

Anywya, now that you have my life story LOL ! I jsut want to know HOW long will it be til I feel human again? Is there anything else I can take or do to feel human again???
Thanks,
DEE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Wink Re: Newbie Here - Anemic looking for advice

Dear DeeM40, sorry to hear of your anemia problems. I was where you are now over two years ago. Almost with the same lab results. I had to get iron infusion several times the first six months. I still continue to get iron iv when my ferritin falls below 50.

I would suggest that you get the colonoscopy and endoscopy done to rule out all possilbe blood lose. I had them done several times. I had 15 plus ulcers due to H-pylori bacteria. Had the treatment and then it came back a
year later. Did another treatment, will find out if I will have to have another endoscopy in Dec. The procedures are not that bad, the prep is the killer. But worth regardless of your age to get it done and rules out all causes of your anemia. I have heavy period too, but that was just one cause of my anemia as it turns out. I have AVM in the small intestines which are not bleeding now, but could later. So that is watched. I was 46 when I started all this. Now almost 50.

I am surprised with your hgb and ferritin sooo low that you were able to get the up so quickly. That is great. You still should rule out all possible contibuting factors which could be causing your anemia.
You won't start feeling better until you ferritin level is at least 50, but even at this level, you can still have effects such as hair falling out. I found that when my levels are around 80, I start feeling really well. I don't have too many of those months, thus the need to return for more Iron IV.

Taking pill will take much longer, talk to your doctor about getting a jump start with an iron infusion.

Welcome to this board, hope you won't be here long, not that you are not welcome, but that you will be feeling better soon.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Newbie Here - Anemic looking for advice

I agree with mbbasketball that you should follow through and get the other tests done. I had them done. While it is probably rare that at a young age you would have a GI cancer causing this, there are all sorts of GI things that can cause it.

For me, my GYN was ready to give me a uterine ablation. Like you, my periods were about 6 days long with day 2 and 3 being quite heavy. They've been like that ALL my life so, to me, I think it would be odd that at age 40, my body would decide that it was a problem. While I do think that my periods are a FACTOR and don't help matters, they were not the cause of the anemia.

I ended up having a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The colonoscopy was fine, the endoscopy showed gastritis and bleeding in my stomach. Shocker for me as my stomach never felt any different than it always had (I have acid reflux and take Prilosec). We suspect the bleeding/gastritis was caused my me taking Motrin several times a month due to those 2-3 heavy days of my period. My GP always said to take it to lessen the bleeding. Little did I know it would cause bleeding somewhere else.

So, I think that you can't sit back and blame your periods 100%, although, that really might end up being the case. You do yourself a disservice to check it all out.

Now, if it is JUST the periods and nothing else, you might start to feel better in a few months of supplements. You have to be sure that the amount of iron you take exceeds what you are losing each month with your period. Hopefully you can accomplish that with the supplements but you may not be able to. That's when people get infusions. That you've responded so far is a very good sign.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Sorry you are feeling so bad. It is completely normal to feel this way with your anemia.

You said that you told the doctor that you feel like crying. By the time I got to the Hemo doc I was crying and he said that I was depressed. I was so sill I could hardly walk at the time. I wanted to BOOT him!

All my doctors say that my bleeding is from my periods. I did have all the tests for hidden causes of bleeding. They didn't find anything. I had an ablation and they found 7 polyps and removed them. I have also had the same periods all my life. Can't understand why they are causing me a problem with anemia for the first time at 46. I was 45 when it was discovered. I don't think that I will really ever know what exactly is the cause. I find it hard to believe that periods were the only problem.

It is my opinion that anemia CAN be caused by many factors and some of these will NEVER show up on a test. Some can even heal by the time you are tested and you might not EVER know. I don't care what the doctors say because almost ALL of them blame it on your periods, which is NOT always the case. And AGE doesn't matter because things happen to some young people at ages that don't correspond with traditional data.

Bottom line is with numbers like yours (which were the same as mine), you MUST find out WHY and I hope that it is your periods. It is always better to be safe and not drag on the anemia forever. You still have to fix the periods right? I don't think that you WILL feel alot better until you do that. Feel well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbasketball View Post
I have AVM in the small intestines which are not bleeding now, but could later. So that is watched. I was 46 when I started all this. Now almost 50.
Your post was very interesting. What is AVM? They checked everything out on me EXCEPT the small intestine. What type of test did they use for this? I have heard that only 5% of people have problems within the sm bowel.

You also said, that you don't feel well with a Ferritin under 50. Mine was 20 last time I checked, and I'm hoping that it is up ever higher at this point. My hair stopped falling out at 20 Ferritin. But I still feel fatigue and wasn't sure if I could chalk it up to the Ferritin or not? Ferritin is so hard to know about symptoms because my Hemo said that it wasn't the reason my hair was falling out but I know quite clearly that it was the case.

I would be interested in any information you might share with us. Thanks. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 10-27-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
Your post was very interesting. What is AVM? They checked everything out on me EXCEPT the small intestine. What type of test did they use for this? I have heard that only 5% of people have problems within the sm bowel.

You also said, that you don't feel well with a Ferritin under 50. Mine was 20 last time I checked, and I'm hoping that it is up ever higher at this point. My hair stopped falling out at 20 Ferritin. But I still feel fatigue and wasn't sure if I could chalk it up to the Ferritin or not? Ferritin is so hard to know about symptoms because my Hemo said that it wasn't the reason my hair was falling out but I know quite clearly that it was the case.

I would be interested in any information you might share with us. Thanks. FLFLOWERGIRL

AVM stand for arteriovenous malformations. They are abnormal blood vessels which lie within the small intestine. They can be the cause of bleeding. I had these found after Capsule Endoscopy. That is where you swallow a small camera and it takes about 8hrs to complete. Not too bad, but you do have to do a prep like for a colonocopy. I have had two done, results erosive gastritis, vascular ectasias, and lymphoid hyperplasia. The first one was not complete, slow bowels I guess. On the second one, the lypmpoid hyperplasia was not seen.
Do a search on Capsule Endoscopy, EndoAtlas site has alot of informtion.

My hair starts falling below 70. I think 70 and above is the range for healthy hair. My hematologist wants to keep me at least above 50. I know when I am blow 50. I get tired and nap during the day. I get shortness of breath and more headaches. I also get colder, well I am always cold. I also have hypothyroid condition. My hemo says hair can be effected when your ferritin go below 50.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mbbasketball--thanks for the information. Now you make me very curious about the small bowel and what could be missed for so many people. Interesting informaiton. Sorry you have to cope with so many things. Thanks for educating us. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread