HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   Low Ferritin & Spatone (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/548982-low-ferritin-spatone.html)

vegemite 10-31-2007 11:23 PM

Low Ferritin & Spatone

My pharmacist has put me on to Spatone instead of iron tablets, saying the absorbtion is better.

It says 1 satchel for normal and 2 for pregnancy.

My question is, although I'm not pregnant, I'm taking this to raise my ferritin level from 7 .... should I take 2 satchels or will one be sufficient, but slower.

I just want my levels to increase, I'm feeling so flat & tired and my nails are flaking, my hair coming out when I wash/brush it and I'm SO exhausted at night.

How long until I feel some improvement -and no "how long is a piece of string" answers ;)

ChristineVA 11-01-2007 04:30 AM

Re: Low Ferritin & Spatone

I started out using Spatone and it quickly got me out of the anemia range. I used 2 sachets per day (one if I forgot). The only thing I did notice is that, while I got out of the anemia range, my ferritin really did not increase for the 4 months while I was using it. This was from December to March. My ferritin stayed at 5. It was only when I started adding a children's chewable vitamin to the whole thing that my ferritin started increasing.

I finally had to quit using Spatone because they are no longer distributing in the United States and I was getting expired sachets from the U.S. distributer. I am now taking two children's chewables per day and my ferritin is increasing quite nicely.

The Spatone is supposed to be very absorbable; however, it is a really low dose. For me, even the two sachets wasn't quite enough to boost the storage levels.

FLFLOWERGIRL 11-01-2007 08:30 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't mess around with a low Ferritin such as yours. What does your doctor want you to take? You really might want to be on a higher dose of iron. I would revisit this with your doctor unless you want to feel bad for a long time with symptoms. Just my opinion for what it's worth. I would be afraid to take as little as recommended to you. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

vegemite 11-01-2007 01:00 PM

My doctor had me on FerroGrad C. It's tablet form iron. The pharmacist said that the SpaTone is just so much easier to absorb (and he was aware of my ferritin level).

It will be interesting. I had a blood test done yesterday after taking the tablets for 30 days. Will be interesting to see how much of a rise there is after that.

And then I'll have another one in 30 days to see the rise on the Spatone ... I'll be getting an apples for apples comparison.

I suppose it all comes down to how my body absorbs iron hey. We can't compare to each other because levels will raise if bodies absorb iron quicker and well.

I'll let you know how I get on with results.

FLFLOWERGIRL 11-01-2007 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=vegemite;3286541]My doctor had me on FerroGrad C. It's tablet form iron. The pharmacist said that the SpaTone is just so much easier to absorb (and he was aware of my ferritin level).

It will be interesting. I had a blood test done yesterday after taking the tablets for 30 days. Will be interesting to see how much of a rise there is after that.

And then I'll have another one in 30 days to see the rise on the Spatone ... I'll be getting an apples for apples comparison.

I suppose it all comes down to how my body absorbs iron hey. We can't compare to each other because levels will raise if bodies absorb iron quicker and well.

I'll let you know how I get on with results.[/QUOTE]

Your pharmacist is right about the absorption of Spatone. But you need a lot of it. I really hope it works out for you. Keep us posted on your results. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

vegemite 11-01-2007 10:14 PM

Yes, I will let you know how my levels go.

I'll take 2 sachets then, as if I was pregnant, this month and see what happens at the end of this month.

I don't think I have an absorbtion problem with iron, I think my irons have been depleted with pregnancy/labour/loss after labour so hopefully double the dose of Spatone and my body will also start taking from my food as well, as I'm being really mindful of eating protien rich foods :)

Thanks for all your help ... I will post my results next week for my first month on tablets.

Audrey-B 11-02-2007 08:20 PM

Most of those over the counter iron supplements have fairly low dosages. I suppose they have to put a lower dosage on the directions b/c not everybody buying it would be extremely low in iron/anemic.

The gp who i first saw when diagnosed with a ferretin of 8 simply told me to go and buy a supplement. Didn't even bother to inform me of a particular brand or dosage. I got to the chemist and was overwhelmed by all the different brands of iron supplements and the varying technical terms used.When i finally found a doctor who knew his stuff he told me i could have tripled the dosage of the supplement i was on and still not get anywhere. This is why it's so important that your doctor works with you so you can get ahead ASAP.

By all means let us know how you get on, it's good to get comparisons on what works for who, what type of dosage and in which time frame.

vegemite 11-06-2007 01:14 PM

I'm getting results from a blood test this morning, after 1 month on iron tablets. I'm anxious to see them. If there is no budge in numbers, I wouldn't be surprised as I did bleed for 22 of the 30 days. BUT if there is an improvement (even ever so slight) I'll be SO encouraged.

And I'm going to ask him if he knows anything about the Spatone. Although, my pharmacist did say that GP's are not that up to date with vitamin/mineral supplements as pharmacists are.

Hmmm. I'll let you know how I get on :)

Audrey-B 11-06-2007 11:21 PM

Sometimes the pharmacists are able to help more than some gp's so it's worth asking for their advice.

Even if you did bleed for 22 of the 30 days, hopefully being on an iron supplement at the same time should have kept your ferretin figure stable rather than dropping.

Hoping your results are good ones :)