It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

paleface HB User
IV iron infusion therapy

HGB is 8.2. RDW is 21.
Will have first treatment next week, then 1 weekly for 1-2months. What side effects can I expect if any and how will I feel?
Am I going to be able to continue working (10 hour) shifts? I have to travel 3hours over and 3 hours back to hospital for treatment.
I am between 45 & 50 years old.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: IV iron infusion therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleface View Post
HGB is 8.2. RDW is 21.
Will have first treatment next week, then 1 weekly for 1-2months. What side effects can I expect if any and how will I feel?
Am I going to be able to continue working (10 hour) shifts? I have to travel 3hours over and 3 hours back to hospital for treatment.
I am between 45 & 50 years old.
I have not had this type of therapy myself. You can read about IV therapy on other threads here several pages back, I think page 4 located at the bottom of the first page. There is a lot of information here for you. You can also use the search box at the top of the page and search IV iron infusions. Be Well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
(female)

jmw63 HB Userjmw63 HB User

Hi Paleface,
I have read about alot of side effects but just wanted to let you know my experience with IV iron infusions. I had 2 infusions a week from March till June of this year, for a total of 24 infusions. They felt like a gift from God. They made such a difference. I had no side effects and did wonderfully well with the infusions. My physician ordered them to run in slowly, over 3 hours, because he said people tended to have less side effects with the slower rate. I worked the entire time but did have to take off 2 afternoons a week to get them. I would use the time to read, or more often, take a nap. I felt better than I had in a couple of years! Even people at work started asking what was up because they could tell I felt so much better. Well, that's my iron IV story. I hope you do as well!
JMW

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

Shamrock HB User

Hi Paleface, I had the IV iron infusions once a week for 9 months last year and it made an amazing difference in my energy levels. I had no bothersome side effects from it at all. I received Venofer IV because my hematologist said that of the iV infusions of iron this one had the lowest incidence of side effects. I only took off the day I had the infusions and I did fine,although I don't travel for my job. Best of luck!!

Closed Thread