It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
(female)

help wanted :( HB User
moderate anemia - how much iron?

hi, im anemic... id lke to know how much iron you need to supliment to make a difference... and how do i get this, what do peopel recommend as the best supliments? i normally take spatone and herbal iron liquid but this is not helping... i dont have any problems with taking iron, it doesnt normally effectmy digestion
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: moderate anemia - how much iron?

If you are looking at non-prescription supplements, you want to look for iron that has the highest milligram count. Here in the states, most people start of with Ferrous Sulphate, 325 mg and they take 2-3 per day if they can stand it. There are other forms of iron but you need to look for the highest milligram count and get started from there. The box may only tell you to take one per day; however, if you have anemia and no iron stores, 2-3 are safe for a few months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

help wanted--I have read that 45-195 mgs is the amount of iron you need to correct IDA. This is exactly what Christine said in her post 65 mgs x 3 = 195 that is 3 Ferris Sulfate per day.

I just wanted to say that I had moderate anemia and ~low stores~ so I needed more than 3 a day, I am closer to 4 on a different type of iron. I agree up to 3 is a great start and might be enough if you don't have blood loss and if your stores are not too low. I would never exceed 3 a day without a doctors approval. Good luck to you! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

thanks for your replies guys. i had very heavy periods for a number of years which casued the problem, now thats sorted i need to try get my iron back up. so if started taking ferrous sulphate how long roughly would it take to see an improvment, obvioulsy it depends on how ill ou are and how well you absorb it, but in general,... a rough idea?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

i catn seem to fnd ferrous sulphate anywhere, all the healthfood shops just sell standard 14/15mg iron pills.. not looking good~!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

ok ive managed to find some 200mg ferrous sulphate pill sonline says they contain equivelant of 65mg ferrous iron... would this be good enough? could i take these along with spa tone sachets perhaps?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by help wanted :( View Post
ok ive managed to find some 200mg ferrous sulphate pill sonline says they contain equivelant of 65mg ferrous iron... would this be good enough? could i take these along with spa tone sachets perhaps?

Yes, these would be good and would be fine with the Spatone considering that is so low dose. Maybe in the UK they don't sell 325 mg without a doctor's order.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
(female)

thanks christine, so how many of these pills and spatonje sachets should i take a day?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by help wanted :( View Post
thanks christine, so how many of these pills and spatonje sachets should i take a day?

I would probably do 2 spatones a day. As for the pills, I think it's best to start with only ONE tablet for one week. Then move up to TWO. You could do up to 3, but I'd be real careful with that.

I know you said you didn't have any problems tolerating iron but, if you've never tried this new stuff, you may find you have a problem. I don't know many people who don't get some sort of side effects from the higher dose OTC iron tablets. Just start of easy and give you body a chance to adjust.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

help wanted --You asked how long it takes before you are better. For me, taking 300mgs of elmental iron per day, it took exactly 2 months to go from 10.9-12.9. That just got me a little beyond the anemic stage. I still have some symptoms due to low Ferritin so I am not completely well at this point but getting there.

Will it take long to get your supplements since you are ordering on the net and live in the UK?

I forgot to mention that taking a multi-vitamin helps with the rebuilding of new blood cells. And....if you eat meat 3X weekly along with a iron rich diet it helps greatly in the rebuilding stage. Be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
(female)

thsankyou both. christine, i will start off with one and build up as you said, that sounds like a good idea. flflowergirl, i will try taking amutli vit but im taking so many thngs at the moment i dont know if ill be able to. did you feel much better in yourself after the 2 months?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes and NO--I felt that I was getting better a little everyday but not an overall well feeling. It was 2 months after the anemia that I noticed a change in feeling much better. During the initial 2 month period of anemia recovery, I would work around the house and have major fatigue for weeks then days. I was working very hard using way too much energy, big mistake. I was beginning to think that I had CFS or something it was sooo bad. Now in the second 2 months after anemia, I'm beginning to have days like I did before anemia, almost normal . I am going to say this is due to a low Ferritin for me because as it rises the symptoms leave a little everyday. At this point it could also be new blood cells or both.

Too bad the doctors can't tell you that this is a normal feeling associated with low iron stores so that people like me don't have to worry about having something bad. They kept telling me it just takes a very long time to get better. I thought they were crazy and expected to get better right away but it doesn't work that way at all. I'm sure there are people out there that felt better sooner than I did because I have been ill since Jan. 19th, 2007. Try if you can to take the vitamin, I think that it makes a difference when rebuilding blood. Blood cells have a 4 month life span, so it takes a while. Best of luck for a rapid recovery. Keep us posted! FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 11-28-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #13
(female)

thanks for the support. ive oreder the ferrous sulphate so im just waiting for it to arrive, but ive been reading through the board today and read about alot of people having very bad reactions to FS, now im a bit scared to take it

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

To tell you the truth for myself, it was the worst thing that happened to my body. I ended up in the ER over it and many doctors visits. I must say that MANY people tolerate it just fine with NO complications whatsoever. Any iron is worth a try but I would not recommend this to anyone after my experience. Everyone is different some more sensitive than others and that would be my case. Like Christine said start slow it is crucial with FS and I would never go past 2X daily, I took 3 per pharmacy advice. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 11-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #15
(female)

thats exaclty why im scared! how much were you taking to make you that ill? what problems did it casue you?

Closed Thread